The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Radio Shack Bankrupt (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
The End of Radio Shack?
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstec......xml.html

I don't think anything I bought from Radio Shack in the last 25 years ever lasted more than three months. Can't say I'm sad to see it go.
Nostalgic for the old days when it was a real hobbyist store.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I wonder with their very high prices they lasted this long.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It's been years and years since I bought anything from them.
It's too bad - it used to be fun to go in there and poke around, and they had a nice selection of remote controlled cars, audio equipment that I enjoyed using, and things of that nature.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think I bought some speaker wire from them not too long ago that's still working!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2015, Andrew Zuber wrote:
It's been years and years since I bought anything from them.
It's too bad - it used to be fun to go in there and poke around, and they had a nice selection of remote controlled cars, audio equipment that I enjoyed using, and things of that nature.

Yes to what he said. Used to love to go and poke around years ago. Many years ago. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
My first computer was a TRS 80. I think I still have it boxed up in the garage. I can't remember if I purchased it at a local Radio Shack or mail order.

I bought it after starting college and played Crowther and Woods Original Adventure on it hooked up through my phone and an acoustic modem to the schools computer. I learned assembly language on it and did my senior project on it where I designed a text to speech translator on it interfacing a phoneme based sound chip to it. Good memories.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My first was a TRS-80, too!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Mine was the model 16 and I added a hard drive to it. I think it was 100 MB and cost me $300. (It may have only been 30 MB, I'm not really sure!) I also modded the keyboard to get lower case and built a wood case to house it all. I remember playing the original flight simulator on it, which was truly archaic with those big blocky pixels! LOL Pretty amazing that they could actually get a crude flight simulator running on it!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I remember Eliza, the artificial intelligence program that knew three sentences. Lol

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
How did you feel remembering Eliza?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5097 Posts

Profile of RNK
Not just Radio Shack, but hundreds of JC Penny and Macy stores are closing their doors which is going to put out thousands of people out of work. Also- Office Depot not making it and is being bought by Staples. Shame... The economy is pretty bad now. Wonder how the government will factor these workers into their laughable 5.6% unemployment rate.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1776 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Now that you can buy a completely assembled Cell Phone at the grocery store, people don't need to buy the parts to build their own Bar Harbor lunch boxes.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sad. I am not a fan of chains but still, I sort of miss Woolworth and Made in the USA stuff.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Does that mean I can skip the last four payments on my TRS-80 Model II?

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
604 Posts

Profile of karnak
"Yet Model II won't... become obsolete."
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It looks like it comes with a paper storage cabinet and a microwave oven,

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
LOL. Those are 3 additional 12" floppy drives. The filing cabinet is probably for storage of the actual floppy's!

You'll need all 4 floppy drives to store that 10,000 item inventory!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My first equalizer for my stereo was a Realistic from Radio Shack.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Original Microsoft Flight Simulator

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Radio Shack Bankrupt (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL