The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Supreme Court of Canada (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6688 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
As a young man I could never understand one's wishes to pull the plug on ones self at the end of life. But I've seen enough and I'm older now, and I can fully appreciate one's wishes for compassion at the end of one's life. Too much pain and suffering is endured by patients and survivors and their wishes come before anything one's government has to say. Good on Canada for allowing patients the right to die with dignity.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
+1

Agreed.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I think most Canadians are pleased with the ruling. There is, however, a lot of apprehension about how the details will be worked out.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6688 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My hope is that the patient will have to do it himself or legal next of kin- not doctors like in some countries.
Otherwise, we may have lost Mr. Hockey.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, magicfish wrote:
My hope is that the patient will have to do it himself or legal next of kin- not doctors like in some countries.
Otherwise, we may have lost Mr. Hockey.


He retired in Texas and received all his treatment there.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6688 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Correct. He was in a coma and doctors told Mark and Marty that it was hopeless and that they should just let him pass.
Now he's eating dinner with Gretzky and Hull.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Correct. He was in a coma and doctors told Mark and Marty that it was hopeless and that they should just let him pass.
Now he's eating dinner with Gretzky and Hull.


I heard one of the sons on the radio yesterday saying that Gordie had a "miraculous recovery" due to the medical treatment, but followed it with a wistful "I hope he understands that he is being honoured tonight."
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Living and dying is a pretty grim business and so to avoid all the pain and suffering you will have to endure why don’t you go and commit suicide right now?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6688 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Correct. He was in a coma and doctors told Mark and Marty that it was hopeless and that they should just let him pass.
Now he's eating dinner with Gretzky and Hull.


I heard one of the sons on the radio yesterday saying that Gordie had a "miraculous recovery" due to the medical treatment, but followed it with a wistful "I hope he understands that he is being honoured tonight."

Correct. Thank goodness they allowed him to live so that he could make said recovery.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6688 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Gordie Howe is just one scenario out of infinite ones.
With capital punishment the argument is that it if even one innocent person is executed it is enough to want to abolish it- or something like that.
What if a patient is killed who doesn't want to be? What if the euthanasia is motivated by money? Or hatred?
Obviously lots of what ifs.
Scary stuff.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, magicfish wrote:

What if a patient is killed who doesn't want to be? What if the euthanasia is motivated by money? Or hatred?
Obviously lots of what ifs.
Scary stuff.

AFAIK, absolutely nothing in the decision even suggesting that doctors have any sort of unilateral right to end someone's life.

"The ruling only applies to competent adults with enduring, intolerable suffering who clearly consent to ending their lives."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Have you already incorporated eugenic considerations into your family planning?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Correct. He was in a coma and doctors told Mark and Marty that it was hopeless and that they should just let him pass.
Now he's eating dinner with Gretzky and Hull.


I heard one of the sons on the radio yesterday saying that Gordie had a "miraculous recovery" due to the medical treatment, but followed it with a wistful "I hope he understands that he is being honoured tonight."

Gordie left the care of the Texas health care system to access an experimental stem-cell treatment in Mexico.

Sounds like a miracle treatment but I wonder how long lasting it is, how effective it is on average, and how accessible it is to 'regular' people for whom cost is an issue.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ho......2851515/

Twice in 2014, Howe suffered debilitating strokes and in November, his family thought he was near death.

Instead, he travelled to Mexico from Texas to undergo experimental stem-cell treatment, and his health took a sharp turn for the better - good enough to honour a commitment he made the previous year to turn up in Saskatoon Friday night for the Kinsmen Sports Celebrity Dinner.

Howe arrived in Saskatoon on Thursday evening after a physically challenging and much-delayed flight. Looking frail, he nevertheless walked off the airplane on his own, then onto the tarmac and into the terminal. On Friday morning, as his father recovered from a bad travel day, Mark Howe noted how unexpected this turn of events was.

"For Dad to be able to walk again, feeble though it might be, and for him to actually be here, is quite incredible," Mark Howe said.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I think most Canadians are pleased with the ruling. There is, however, a lot of apprehension about how the details will be worked out.

Non-Canadians here should understand that this is a federal election year in Canada, and the conservative government in power might play games to appease its social conservative core base. As it has done before.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati......2828437/

"The court decision puts Canada in the company of a small group of countries such as Belgium - and U.S. states Washington and Oregon - that permit doctor-assisted death. And it gives the Conservative government difficult choices as it heads toward an election expected in the fall. The court suspended its ruling for 12 months to allow for new rules and laws to be drafted, but Ottawa could choose to do nothing, and allow provinces and medical regulatory bodies to create the ground rules for assisted death. Or it could do what it did when the Supreme Court struck down prostitution laws 14 months ago: study international models and then create a uniquely Canadian version that may or may not respect the principles established by the court."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6688 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, magicfish wrote:

What if a patient is killed who doesn't want to be? What if the euthanasia is motivated by money? Or hatred?
Obviously lots of what ifs.
Scary stuff.

AFAIK, absolutely nothing in the decision even suggesting that doctors have any sort of unilateral right to end someone's life.

"The ruling only applies to competent adults with enduring, intolerable suffering who clearly consent to ending their lives."

Thanks for the clarification.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Suicide tourism?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6688 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, tommy wrote:
Suicide tourism?

Maybe.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, tommy wrote:
Living and dying is a pretty grim business and so to avoid all the pain and suffering you will have to endure why don’t you go and commit suicide right now?


okay
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Virtual reality helmets are good: You too could be a free range chicken instead of suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous of fortune.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Supreme Court of Canada (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL