The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Pension Before Age 40: Are Military Benefits Too Rich? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
The majority of the money that we tax payers pay for the military, goes to the private contractor’s that make the stuff, right down to the boots the soldiers fight and die in. It seems to me that there is something intrinsically wrong in people making a profit from war, especially when they get those contracts from their buddies in power. We all know how those contractors overcharge. Just Look at these private prisons and whole business of security. The entire system is totally corrupt from top to bottom. It is so blatant, it is as if they are not happy with stealing our money now but also want to steal our dignity. Never mind the soldiers, the people ought be up in arms. It is no wonder the government cannot afford to pay the soldiers decent money.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, landmark wrote:
The elite for whom the wars are fought couldn't care less about the soldiers. They care about their profit. Soldiers are expendable cannon fodder. As are teachers, cops, factory workers, old people, and white and blue collar workers. The only ones who do not have to worry about their pensions and golden parachutes are the super-rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8_0MHo7-0

Perhaps, one day, soldiers will understand that that is the system they are giving their lives to defend.

Agree completely.

But why stop at the soldiers understanding? What about the rest of the cannon fodder who pay taxes so the war machine can continue, and those profits can be made?

With such an obvious need for the money and resources here at home, and the excuses for the waste ever more ridiculous, I find myself asking more and more....why?

Quite right. I know a couple of long time very brave conscientious objectors in the War Resisters League who refuse to pay the military portion of their taxes. Their lives are extremely difficult because of that stance. I admit, I am not willing to make the sacrifices they have made.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
who refuse to pay the military portion of their taxes.

How can someone refuse to pay a portion of their tax?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, acesover wrote:

Also just for the record. I am quite sure I am older than you and I do not ever remember American soldiers going on strike for more pay or other benefits.

Probably because they are not allowed to.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/976

Yea but teachers lie and say that they love to help the children no matter how much they make. Yea no matter how much they make as long as it is more. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, ha. Are you saying soldiers negotiate their contracts? SERIOUSLY. Smile

They do have this going for them:

"Annual pay raises for all ranks, which apply to basic pay and drill pay, are designed to keep pace with overall wage growth in the private sector. By law, the minimum raise must match the annual change in the Employment Cost Index, a Labor Department measurement of private-sector wage growth. But Congress can, and frequently has, increased the size of the annual military pay raise."

http://projects.militarytimes.com/benefi......owances/

Pay raise history for the US Military:

https://www.navycs.com/charts/
Do soldiers get raises on tenure? Or do they have to earn a raise? How about teachers? Also I would like to see a school district give a pay raise of 1.3% to a teacher. Better yet I would like to see them accept that.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, tommy wrote:
The majority of the money that we tax payers pay for the military, goes to the private contractor’s that make the stuff . . . .

Out of curiosity, how much time have you spent as a military contractor?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"Also I would like to see a school district give a pay raise of 1.3% to a teacher. Better yet I would like to see them accept that."

They have. And the 1.3% raise for the military was about the second lowest one in over 50 years, so it was hardly typical. As the table showed you, typically the military raises have been much higher.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:
Ha, ha. Are you saying soldiers negotiate their contracts? SERIOUSLY.

?? Have you been drinking too much of the happy juice in AC?? Who ever said that soldiers negotiate their contracts? He said they have had increases. No, soldiers cannot negotiate for increases, yes they have had increases, yes they should have further increases, yes, many workers have had their pensions gutted and stolen and the government calls it legal.

Oh and just for the record, the last NYC teachers contract was for nine years, and that was after working with no contract for four years. And the retroactive pay we were supposed to get by Thanksgiving of 2014 is nowhere to be seen. I can only imagine what it would be like without a union.

Soldiers are workers, and like all workers they are exploited and screwed by the compulsive predators. Look at the Carlin clip posted above; he explains it all in 3 minutes.

Your a teacher and you walk around in New York in your under ware? No wonder you did not get a raise. Smile

You make it sound so terrible when you say working with no contract for 4 years. What does that mean? Oh yea no contract. But they can not fire you and you still get paid so what is the big deal? How many teachers left in those 4 years for other positions? How much health insurance do you pay? how many days a year do you work? how many hours a day do you work? Oh wait all that stuff you take home...yea right. It is BS that makes the grass grow. Oh yea one more thing you can always quit and get a job in the private sector where you must produce results to get a raise and work around 50 hours a week for probably 49 weeks a year 5 days a week, and work holidays. But so what? how many teachers do you know that left and switched positions in those 4 years with no contract. You did get paid for those 4 years didn't you?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
"Also I would like to see a school district give a pay raise of 1.3% to a teacher. Better yet I would like to see them accept that."

They have. And the 1.3% raise for the military was about the second lowest one in over 50 years, so it was hardly typical. As the table showed you, typically the military raises have been much higher.

Please show me where a contract with a raise of 1.3% was the total raise package for teachers.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Out of curiosity, how much have the companies you worked for made from military contracts?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how much have the companies you worked for made from military contracts?

Far less per employee than the financial companies for which I've worked.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes financial companies can make quite a bit of money from war. I hear the Rothschild boys made a couple of quid from the game.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2015, tommy wrote:
Yes financial companies can make quite a bit of money from war.

And from peace.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
What is peace but that which you get after you have killed all the enemy? Sometimes it is called a monopoly.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2015, tommy wrote:
What is peace but that which you get after you have killed all the enemy?

Around here, peace is having the cats fed.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Around here the fat cats always want more.

Tommy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1172 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
What’s the world coming to? They do not provide their own weapons, they get fed housed and clothed and if they get shot they don’t have to pay to get the bullets pulled, they also want thanking for their service, medals and money!

Can I have my money back?

Can you say that in German?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2015, imgic wrote:
Quote:
What’s the world coming to? They do not provide their own weapons, they get fed housed and clothed and if they get shot they don’t have to pay to get the bullets pulled, they also want thanking for their service, medals and money!

Can I have my money back?

Can you say that in German?

Was ist die Welt kommen, um? Sie haben nicht ihre eigenen Waffen zu liefern, bekommen sie gefüttert untergebracht und gekleidet, und wenn sie schossen sie nicht zu bezahlen, um die Kugeln gezogen zu bekommen, sie wollen auch zu danken für ihren Dienst, Medaillen und Geld!

Kann ich mein Geld zurück?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Dass.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5006 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ha, ha. Are you saying soldiers negotiate their contracts? SERIOUSLY.

?? Have you been drinking too much of the happy juice in AC?? Who ever said that soldiers negotiate their contracts? He said they have had increases. No, soldiers cannot negotiate for increases, yes they have had increases, yes they should have further increases, yes, many workers have had their pensions gutted and stolen and the government calls it legal.

Oh and just for the record, the last NYC teachers contract was for nine years, and that was after working with no contract for four years. And the retroactive pay we were supposed to get by Thanksgiving of 2014 is nowhere to be seen. I can only imagine what it would be like without a union.

Soldiers are workers, and like all workers they are exploited and screwed by the compulsive predators. Look at the Carlin clip posted above; he explains it all in 3 minutes.

Your a teacher and you walk around in New York in your under ware? No wonder you did not get a raise. Smile

You make it sound so terrible when you say working with no contract for 4 years. What does that mean? Oh yea no contract. But they can not fire you and you still get paid so what is the big deal? How many teachers left in those 4 years for other positions? How much health insurance do you pay? how many days a year do you work? how many hours a day do you work? Oh wait all that stuff you take home...yea right. It is BS that makes the grass grow. Oh yea one more thing you can always quit and get a job in the private sector where you must produce results to get a raise and work around 50 hours a week for probably 49 weeks a year 5 days a week, and work holidays. But so what? how many teachers do you know that left and switched positions in those 4 years with no contract. You did get paid for those 4 years didn't you?

Aces, really I won't try to talk about poker, if you don't talk about teaching. You know nothing about the profession. Look, you hate workers, I get it. I'm retired as a full time teacher now, so here are the answers to your questions that were true when I was teaching: Yes, they can fire me, yes I pay for health care, yes I contribute to my pensions, yes I work every day, 8 to 12 hours on week days, probably 4-5 hours on weekends. The teacher attrition rate off the top of my head is something like 50% within five years. Retired, I make a pension of roughly $24,000/yr. in one of the highest cost of living areas in the US after over two decades of teaching. I have a Bachelors', a master's and post graduate work degrees. Does that sound excessive to you? Of course it does, because you hate workers, and people that really do something for society.

But this thread is about soldiers. Soldiers get automatic pay increases even while at the same rank, and they don't get arbitrarily fired either. Lots of boys and girls stay in the military because in its own way, it's a secure living. Free board, food, medical, and pension. I don't deny them any of it. But the folks with the big bucks love to spit on them, and take their benefits away.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Pension Before Age 40: Are Military Benefits Too Rich? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL