The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 875k in Attorney Fees over 100k Suit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Story
The City of San Diego paid out 875k to defend a 100k lawsuit...
"It's ok folks it's just taxpayer money!"

You go girl! @Alison Terry
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Was the defense successful? And if the original suit was spurious, should the city have just settled it out to avoid high legal fees? Seems to me that would just encourage future questionable suits against the city, costing them a lot more money in the long run.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
If the city prevailed in the suit, can't they recover legal costs in the settlement?
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The city didn't win. See the story link.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
129 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
My bad!!
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Even if they had won, as a general rule, in the USA, the answer to that question is "No, they can't. "
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Yup, justice in America! I am involved in a case (defendant) that has now cost me close to $100,000. and not finished. It is over a bit less than 4 acres of land worth about $30,000. Truly, the court system, to me, is a way to take care of kids college, retirement, vacation home, etc. etc. etc. for attorneys. They bill me for everything. They talk slowly. They argue when they know they will lose. Hopefully, those who have been on the good end of this"system" will shed some positive slant to it, but to me it is simply awful. Robbery with a briefcase.

I know Bob will differ, which I respect, but the inner workings of the legal system make me both sad and poor...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The city where I live took a family to court because of a very nice "treehouse" the dad built for his children. It was beautiful, it was well-built and sturdy, and it matched the house. Problem was it was in the front yard, but it was built before zoning laws were passed to prohibit such structures. The city took the owners to court, argued the case for about six months, and lost, eventually costing the taxpayers nearly $20,000. Public sentiment favored the owners so, even had the city prevailed, there was going to be a bad taste in the taxpayers' mouths.

The city leaders argued that they had no choice but to defend the law, but the timing of everything made it a no-win situation for the city.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 875k in Attorney Fees over 100k Suit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL