The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Under Wraps by Mark Mason (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, fcchief1 wrote:
This is different from ambideckstrous, although similar in plot to some extent this is much more visible in that the card on the back actually changes to the spectators chosen card.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I think this is the exact same gimmick for both effects and just different presentations. As I said, I think I prefer ambideckstous' routine more.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
But Under Wraps is about $5 cheaper so that may sway some in its favor.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I received this yesterday....very practical method, good quality gimmick, a no brainer purchase if you like the effect. You could also perform a variation of 'Ambidecktrous' with the supplied gimmick. There are many applications for this utility.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Under Wraps and Ambideckstrous use different methods to basically achieve the same result. The method for Under Wraps is more involved - it's not just a gaffed card. Both methods are great and very easy to do, but I wasn't very impressed with either routine.

I'm probably going to be sorry I tipped this, but I think the best routine to use with either of these tricks is Jason Dean's "Threesome." It's on the Talk About Tricks DVD set and it's also sold separately. Changing the printing on the card box instead of the writing is much stronger, IMO.

I think Ambideckstrous is the way to go because the gimmick is simpler and you don't have to ditch anything, but Under Wraps is just plain fun to do. If you get Ambideckstrous, make sure and buy the 2.0 version. The gimmick is much better than the original ones and you get two of them.

Robert
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Ambideckstrous Updated - not 2.0. Available from Magic Box in the UK.

Robert
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2015, Robert M wrote:
Ambideckstrous Updated - not 2.0. Available from Magic Box in the UK.

Robert

Is the updated version being offered at Penguin?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
No, I just checked. They only have the original version. The printing of the gaff is not as good (although it's not terrible) and you only get one gimmicked card.

It might be available someplace other than Magic Box. I really don't know.

Robert
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I played around with 'Under Wraps' last night and created a similar 'Ambideckstrous' type routine. In my version, I choreographed the handling so that you don't have to ditch the gimmick at the end unless you plan to go to go directly into another card effect (which is likely)and in such cases it's easy to put the box away(along with gimmick) into your pocket after the spectators have thoroughly examined the card box. I also played around with several mentalism plot ideas. A gimmick like this can easily be presented with a pseudo hypnotism angle. The fun part with Under Wraps is that is a 'utility' gimmick that lends itself to exploring many other creative plot ideas.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Just got this. Very, very clever...and, as has been said before, soooo easy to do. Now, to find a good routine to show this off!
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Rick Lax now has an alternate presentation on the Penguin product page.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2015, TuneHV wrote:
Rick Lax now has an alternate presentation on the Penguin product page.

Saw that, but wasn't crazy about it. Think something this clever deserves to be 'shown off' a bit more. Smile
iluzjonista
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of iluzjonista
This is the most obvious trick I saw in a long time... The value of that trick supposed to be 1 USD...
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2015, iluzjonista wrote:
This is the most obvious trick I saw in a long time... The value of that trick supposed to be 1 USD...

Brilliant post, my friend... Smile
metaplayer
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of metaplayer
I've been using Under Wraps for a couple of weeks and think it's very great for a quick routine. I haven't had trouble with the cellophane.
I've added a third phase....
I've been starting by saying, "I've been playing with cards a long time but just noticed that the card pictured on the back of the box is ALWAYS the top card of the deck"!
Then I go thru the 3D phase and the spec seems underwhelmed.... usually I pick up the box again to show that it has changed, (sometimes they pick up the box and see that the change has happened.... That's even better). So there's the 10H phase, which freaks them out....
What I've added is: then I palm the 10H and give them the deck to shuffle, saying, "It works with ANY card". (i've already removed the 3D gimmick, but find I don't have to remove the 'other' gimmick). They shuffle and then I secretly add the 10H to the top of deck when putting it back in the box. We look at the back of the box again... BUT it's still the 10H... I look a bit put off as if something went wrong BUT then we take the cards out and What a coincidence! The top card of the deck IS a 10H!

Anyway, it's fun to do. Mark Mason is a great inventor and promoter and I've never been disappointed with his and Mr Swadlings' stuff.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I recently received the new Ambideckstrous 2.0 from Jonathan Pickard (only available from Magicbox UK and I must admit that his new version is vastly superior to Under Wraps. Don't get me wrong, Under Wraps is still good but this is even better. The gimmick covers the entire back of the box and doesn't move around when the cellophane begins to wear, and the gimmick looks more deceptive because it's not as '3-D' looking. Another advantage with Ambideckstrous is that you're only dealing with one gimmick, and don't have to get the other gimmicked card into position (bottom of the deck and aligned properly). Ambideckstrous is ideally suited for strolling work thanks to the simplicity of the gimmick. I hope that Penguin begins stocking the newest version because I'll want to buy a back-up. BTW- you do receive two gimmicks with Ambideckstrous.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2015, Jared wrote:
I recently received the new Ambideckstrous 2.0 from Jonathan Pickard (only available from Magicbox UK and I must admit that his new version is vastly superior to Under Wraps. Don't get me wrong, Under Wraps is still good but this is even better. The gimmick covers the entire back of the box and doesn't move around when the cellophane begins to wear, and the gimmick looks more deceptive because it's not as '3-D' looking. Another advantage with Ambideckstrous is that you're only dealing with one gimmick, and don't have to get the other gimmicked card into position (bottom of the deck and aligned properly). Ambideckstrous is ideally suited for strolling work thanks to the simplicity of the gimmick. I hope that Penguin begins stocking the newest version because I'll want to buy a back-up. BTW- you do receive two gimmicks with Ambideckstrous.

That's good to hear. I just may have to check this out. Thanks Jared!

Robert
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Very clever gimmick and very easy and practical to perform. I like it and would rate it as another winner from Mark Mason.

My only worry is that the gimmick is made out of card stock and is therefore somewhat fragile. That isn't a problem if you're careful but it's easy to ditch it in a pocket and continue with a couple more effects. Then later when you empty your pocket you discover you had forgotten about it and now it's all bent up.
metaplayer
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of metaplayer
I'm having a lot of fun with Under Wraps but... I will check out Ambideckstrous 2.0 ....
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
I recently received the new Ambideckstrous 2.0 from Jonathan Pickard

I too think that Under Wraps is a bit "overdesigned"
What's the difference between version 2.0 and the original Ambieckstrous? More gimmicks with different predictions?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Paperinick, you receive two printed gimmicks that look absolutely dead-on perfect. I was told that the original gimmick wasn't very convincing ("blurry"). If I was Jonathan, I would have printed 3 or 4 different outcomes and sold it for $49.95. This trick is so strong that it's going to stay in my permanent strolling repertoire. It's so easy to get in and out of during a card set. I wish I could keep one secretly stashed in every deck for a mind-numbing (no get ready) finale.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Under Wraps by Mark Mason (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL