The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » [Review] Trickopolis, by Tony Chris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1001 Posts

Profile of Ado
(Disclaimer: I know all the people involved in that DVD, but its purchase is not correlated to that fact. I just stumbled over a great deal online!)

I just watched Trickopolis by Tony Chris. Tony shows his effects in a controlled environment (ie, in a living room, to another magician), and then explains them right away. All the tricks are close up card tricks, rather short to perform, and they often rely on some simple gimmicks he teaches you how to do. The gimmicks are either used as a gag (like a card that splits in half after a karate chop), or for hidden purposes. I found that his effects are simple to perform, and have simple plots easy to follow. The explanations are in English, and pretty clear; Tony isn't spending too little or too much time.

My favourite effects are:

- "Foretell" A nice, simple prediction trick with 5 cards. Easy to do, and well constructed. I'll definitely use this one.
- "A little miracle", a cheesy magician in trouble plot, that end with a very visual apparition. Certainly a funny trick to perform!
- "Scracth", an impromptu card revelation from a borrowed deck. Simple principle, but the patter Chris offers packs big in comedy.

Sound quality is good.
Video quality is decent, but editing isn't great. The DVD was filmed with a single camera that was sometimes filming Chris as he talks, rather than the cards. I don't think this will be a problem to anyone, though some close ups of the gaffs or some (basic) sleights may have been enjoyed by the less seasoned magician.
Acting quality is uneven (Alex, the assistant was overdoing it), but the story unravelling across the tricks is entertaining.

Conclusion:
This is a DVD with quick, funny workers, that are accessible to any magician, including beginners, who don't mind crafting a few props or gimmicks.
While I would certainly not perform all the tricks taught in that DVD because I'd need too many props, I definitely think any two of them can be used for real work like restaurant.

P!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » [Review] Trickopolis, by Tony Chris (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL