The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sanada Gimmick: How should it fit? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
IMO, the "shine" is not an issue. I've been using this item for years--even before it was being mass-marketed and so common--and I've NEVER had anyone notice it. And trust me, here in Idaho at the venues where I've worked, if they notice, they let you know!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Lol, my audiences are the same way, Scott.

When using the Sanada, do you folks find it best to hold something else in the gimmick hand, to give a more natural appearance to the position? Or does holding your hand in that position go by undetected? Do you hold the hand in a natural palm position, and stall for a bit (don't run when you're not being chased), when talking to the audience... Or do you use that hand to make little gestures while talking - basically flashing your hand "empty" without deliberately calling attention to it?
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Besides this newer one http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=single-review&key=4076

Is Vernet the only one making these or are their different brands. I have read that Sanadas crack at the joints. Is the Vernet one the hard plastic or are their other vinyl ones out there?
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1675 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2009-02-07 00:06, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
IMO, the "shine" is not an issue. I've been using this item for years--even before it was being mass-marketed and so common--and I've NEVER had anyone notice it. And trust me, here in Idaho at the venues where I've worked, if they notice, they let you know!
It would be a good thing if PBJ had some discussion of the Sanada, handling and getting it in and out. Maybe in secret sessions or on your web site.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Does anyone know if the one in the Goshman kit is a soft or hard material or if it is the same gimmick most sell with a Goshman sponge included?

Is the only other one the Type G Sanada? Does Vernet have one?

How many shells are out on the market? (not JS Berry products... Just Sanada style)
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 14:05, nathanallen wrote:
Okay, so I lied. My Sanada gimmick didn't grow back.

Actually, I've never owned one. Just got my first one the mail from Abbott's today. It's a Goshman-made gimmick (came with a free sponge ball!). I'm a little worried about the shine. Is this something that should have makeup applied to it? Or, is the shine not something to worry about?

Thanks!

Nathan

Sanadas are too dark for you, judging by your avatar pix:

I find them way too red. All you need is good flesh colored cloth tape. There's 3-4 brands, depending on where you go to get it. I use one inch, but if you can find 2 inch, go for it. They're a lot more comfortable wrapped in tape too, at least for me.

dsalley13
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17069 Posts

Profile of joseph
Sonata easy thing to trim... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1675 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 17:09, Frank Starsini wrote:
There's a newish DVD that has several Sanada routines on it.
I like it.
That's nice, Frank. What's it called?
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
For the ones who like Roger Klause's repeat sponge to the spectator's sleeve (like John Carney does), replacing the TT with the Sanada gimmick makes the routine way much more natural. Even Roger's hand clapping sounds more natural.

Try it.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you really want your Sanada to fit correctly, it's a good idea to study Sanada form.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gphrenol
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of gphrenol
I cut mine back a bit too much. The color is not perfect but I also think it matches better under different lights, but is not all that critical.
ChristianMagician
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ChristianMagician
I just received my gimmick along with Priest's Proton DVD. The gimmick was so fragile it split after 15 minutes or so . then after it split at the top ..not even on the crease but diagonally, I slightly bent the edge and it split too. there has to be a more durable one . I'm getting a replacement but is there one more durable than another? Any help would be great.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I haven't seen the new ones, but the old ones, which were made of a vinyl, similar to the Japanese TT's, were not fragile at all. It shouldn't take much pressure to hold on to it, though. Is there any chance that you squeezed it too hard. There shouldn't be any squeezing at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ChristianMagician
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-07 14:07, Bill Palmer wrote:
I haven't seen the new ones, but the old ones, which were made of a vinyl, similar to the Japanese TT's, were not fragile at all. It shouldn't take much pressure to hold on to it, though. Is there any chance that you squeezed it too hard. There shouldn't be any squeezing at all.

I don't think so. I have on order the DVD that comes with the gimmick. The newer gimmick is called Type -G and is also magnetic. Browsing through another thread on here about the gimmick , some say the one that comes with the DVD is more durable.This is the DVD http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S8209 Thanks for your input Bill.
Keith
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
How should it fit?

"I Fit it.... My Way" - Frank Sanada
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It would be good for people who use this thing to check out Jay Scott Berry's work with his variants on it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ChristianMagician
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-08 21:07, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
How should it fit?

"I Fit it.... My Way" - Frank Sanada

LOL..
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
474 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
[quote]On 2009-02-05 14:05, nathanallen wrote:
Okay, so I lied. My Sanada gimmick didn't grow back.

Actually, I've never owned one. Just got my first one the mail from Abbott's today. It's a Goshman-made gimmick (came with a free sponge ball!). I'm a little worried about the shine. Is this something that should have makeup applied to it? Or, is the shine not something to worry about?

Thanks!

Nathan

You can spray it with Testers Dull Cote spray paint that you can get at most hardware or craft stores. It will give it a dull finish.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
798 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
[quote]On 2011-01-13 21:29, Dan Ford wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 14:05, nathanallen wrote:
......I'm a little worried about the shine. Is this something that should have makeup applied to it? Or, is the shine not something to worry about?

Thanks!

Nathan

You can spray it with Testers Dull Cote spray paint that you can get at most hardware or craft stores. It will give it a dull finish.

You could stick flesh colored stickers on it..
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
Quote:
On 2004-02-14 18:04, Bill Palmer wrote:

Next, place your Sanada on top of the Sanada gimmick and see how much shorter your Sanada is than the gimmick.

Thanks Bill. I did this with my new Sanada gimmick and instantly got Sanada envy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sanada Gimmick: How should it fit? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL