The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are your expectations when calling 911? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I had to call 911.. After 13 minutes and three different operators they transferred me back to the first operator who wanted to start all over.

It was a hit and run accident..single car .. The guy ran into a concrete median after driving the WRONG WAY down the street beside me. I'm assuming he was drunk beyond all measure by the way he was swerving.

I gave the cars description and licence number to them twice, followed the car for over 15 minutes as he almost crashed into dozens of others.. it's 11 PM in town.

I'd given them my location at least 10 times..... After they bounced me back to the first operator and she asked me for a description ... I GAVE UP!!!! HOPE NO ONE IS DEAD.... I've lost every bit of confidence in my 911 system ... Wondering what I can do. The system is beyond inept ..or at least it was tonight.

Is this how it always is?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
You should have taken a shot at him in self defense. A car is a lethal weapon and it if he was drunk, then your life was in danger.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I know you are trying to be clever ian, but what if the papers say he killed 4 people last night because the 911 operators screwed up? What then ??? Not so funny!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I am serious Slim, You had just cause.

I think your post here will draw the attention of the emergency services and they will pull out all stops to fix the problem you have brought to their attention on this MAGIC SITE!!!!!!!!!!

Have you also emailed your local authorities , news services in regard to the matter??????????? I bet not!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
That somebody competent will come to the rescue within let’s say ten minutes in the city.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That is certainly what happened when I called over my daugher's whooping cough. On the other hand, some times the system doesn't work. There was a reported incident where a woman had a heart attack and the 911 operator tried to give first aid instructions instead of sending help.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
This is exactly why we need the 2nd amendment.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Over here in my part of CA, calling 911 from a cell phone gets you to a regional dispatcher who then has to transfer you to a local one. I've even had a recording saying the line is busy and call back later. So "they" tell you to use a land-line whenever possible.

Of course, not too many people have access to a land-line in the middle of a highway or even in the street...
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
When I call 911 I expect....help.

Luckily the few times I've used the system in NYC the response has been immediate.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I've only used the system once and with great results. I did get the chance to take a tour of our local 911 facilities. I was pretty impressed. They have a nice operation. They have a hard stressful job. Example: What do you do when you work for 911 and you take an emergency call and its your neighbor having a heart attack, or your wife in a car accident, or an emergency involving a child of the person sitting next to you etc... It happens, has happened to people I met. They have counselors that work with the call takers, these people take some crazy emotional calls. Sorry your local system has issues. The system is often overloaded with a ridiculous number of calls asking for the correct time or weather conditions or other such non emergencies. I was amazed at how many such calls they get.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

So you can shoot drunk drivers?
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

Convenient edit there, Bob.

Let me finish it for you...

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
No. I just was questioning your inference that the second amendment would permit you to shoot drunk drivers.

Otherwise why would you state that the example given in the OP somehow shows why we need second amendment rights?

So, again, are you suggesting that we shoot drunk drivers who are driving dangerously? Do you really think that's what the police would do if they were able to show up in seconds rather than minutes?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Actually I would be amazed if the American cops had not shot any drunk drivers.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
In Ireland every time I have rang 999 (our equivalent of 911) I get an answer within a few seconds, and an immediate transfer to the relevant emergency service. Thankfully it works here. Slim's experience sounds terrible and disheartening.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
In England the ambulance service is under the cosh as the bankers continue to cut our throats.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/crisis-in-the-......-7104029

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

Or maybe children with whooping cough or people having heart attacks?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've never claimed I knew for sure what the situation was...Could have been a kidnapping with the victim fighting inside the car ... Or a domestic dispute.... or a drug overdose... or a stolen car...carjacking.... or any combination of the above. Perhaps when I gave them the licence plate it turned out to be an off duty cop or a politician ??????
I'm not saying that I know exactly what the situation was other than this guy or gal was destroying the roadway and swerving all over the place and endangering lives via a head on collision..
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't judge to quickly. You don't know what goes on in those situations. Was it a call from a cell phone? Who exactly had jurisdiction? Unincorporated? So many things come into play. Do you honestly believe they would know in such a short time if it is an off duty cop or politician? Seriously?

How coherent are you on the phone in an emergency? At times here you are not too coherent so I can only imagine under stress.

The 911 system works and Danes lives every minute of every day. This is a fact. Your experience not withstanding.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, Slim King wrote:
I've never claimed I knew for sure what the situation was...Could have been a kidnapping with the victim fighting inside the car ... Or a domestic dispute.... or a drug overdose... or a stolen car...carjacking.... or any combination of the above. Perhaps when I gave them the licence plate it turned out to be an off duty cop or a politician ??????
I'm not saying that I know exactly what the situation was other than this guy or gal was destroying the roadway and swerving all over the place and endangering lives via a head on collision..

5 percent of the world population with 15% of that population in prison and you let another one slip by.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are your expectations when calling 911? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL