The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are your expectations when calling 911? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
No. I just was questioning your inference that the second amendment would permit you to shoot drunk drivers.

Otherwise why would you state that the example given in the OP somehow shows why we need second amendment rights?

So, again, are you suggesting that we shoot drunk drivers who are driving dangerously? Do you really think that's what the police would do if they were able to show up in seconds rather than minutes?

Perhaps my response wasn't clear.

My statement was a response to the 911 system and police responsibility in general...not this particular incident.

I certainly did not mean to imply that drunk drivers should be shot.

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Our 911 system here is pretty stupid as well. About a month ago I was leaving for work, about 2:45 in the morning. As I was heading to my car I see 3 kids about a half a block away looking in the windows of cars in driveways. So I call 911, After a few rings I get a recording, for english press 1 for spanish press 2, ok, pressed 1, then the recording says if this is an emercency press 1, if it's not hang up and call the non-emercency number. Then I can't get the keyboard to pop up on the screen, so it keeps repeating the message. I hang up and call the non-emercency number, 1 ring and I get a dispatcher who took the discription and dispatched a cop.
Nothings simple these days.
Bob.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Where do you live? Is it a rural area? Your keypad does not pop up and you blame the system?

Also are you willing to pay the extra taxes it would take to get the system to where you think it is perfect?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I live in Eugene Oregon, and no I don't blame the system for my keypad not popping up, it was my phone acting up. All I'm saying is I called 911 and had to go through a recording before I got an actual person. The last time I called 911, which was years ago, I got the dispatcher right away.
Bob.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But my point is it costs money to put people there to answer as quickly as you seem to want. It costs a LOT of money in reality to constantly upgrade systems, hire people and train them. This translates into taxes. Most places try to strike up a balance between need and peoples appetite for tax burden. This is not an easy balance to strike.

Add to that the little issue of calling from a cell phone, which many people do now, and you have systems not quite keeping pace with technology. Not your fault mind you, not anything to do with you. I would think the same thing when I called ESPECIALLY if it was an emergency! I agree with you. I am just putting forth the other side is all. Not bashing you or your experience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Point well taken. My cell phone is one of the cheaper ones. I work for the city and in the news letters, I see that there is a huge turnover with the 911 operators. They usually work over 50 hours a week, and the stress that they are under must be unreal. As for the money end to upgrade the system, this is the first time in about 8 years that the city will not have to make any budget cuts.
Bob.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea we sort of took 911 for granted for a LONG time. But cell phone tech, and people sort of moving past land lines really do make that tough to keep up to date.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here's the elephant in the room ... We spend billions of dollars a year for 911 service ... It needs to be a service ... Why have 10 million cops if we cant get them to the places they are needed in time? All those police are useless if we can't communicate with them. To me a 911 call can NEVER go to a recording...People dodging bullets, fighting off attackers or in darkened rooms or trunks of cars don't have time to push 1, 2, or 3 and wait for the prompt.
I'm glad I got the woman who answered.... But to go through a loop of people when lives are on the line and end up with the first person again after 13 minutes is a SIN!!!!!!
I gave my exact location, exact direction and speed I was headed (Calling out all cross streets and intersections), the description of the car and the Frikkin' Licence Plate number!!!!!
I would call it a 100% failure...... I'm not sure how to check to see if there were fatalities or injuries after 11 PM in my neighborhood.... But I'm pretty tempted to pursue it.
I've been told that criticizing the 911 system is like dissing the Patriot Act....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
Good point. It is a bit like those alarm bells that go off and that cops ignore.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I'd like to know why over 80% of the population are religious and haven't learnt to be good and do the right thing.

I thought the idea was to have a better society and then you wouldn't need so many cops.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think BEING RELIGIOUS is the problem .... Having true spirituality that carries a positive moral code is the answer.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
I'd like to know why over 80% of the population are religious and haven't learnt to be good and do the right thing.

I thought the idea was to have a better society and then you wouldn't need so many cops.

Way to derail a thread!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:

Way to derail a thread!

I was just going to say that....
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:

Way to derail a thread!

I was just going to say that....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He has an obvious agenda. Whatever. It pass for clever in his world. Let it be .
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
He has an obvious agenda. Whatever. It pass for clever in his world. Let it be .
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
This is exactly why we need the 2nd amendment.

So you can shoot drunk drivers?

As long as you only wing 'em.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
What if the 911 system is run by idiots??????
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16113 Posts

Profile of tommy
“What if I told you” was never heard in any of the Matrix films.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm still wondering how it all turned out .... I drive by the crushed up concrete every day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are your expectations when calling 911? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL