The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your favorite give away "Gifts"... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Balloon Animals and the star shaped rubber band from Star Gazer. I also use John Cornelius Thought Transmitter to hand out my business card.
Doug Byrd
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Doug-
I have to admit that I haven't really been too keen on Balloon animals. Although I have met a lot of very talented balloon artists over the years, It's just not for me.

I remember hearing about the thought transmiter before, but I don't remember exactly what it was. Could you please give me a brief description? The Rubber band star sounds interesting too.

I figured that I would go ahead and elaborate on the idea with the rings I purchased from Party City for anyone that might be interested.

A fellow magician once showed me a give away item that he used. Basically he would do a routine and promise the spectator involved a Diamond ring if he failed to perform the trick. Of course he would fail purposely and would have to give her a Diamond ring. He in turn would give her a ring with a Dime glued to it.(Kids love this give away!)

I took this idea and found some rings called 1" Jewel rings at Party city. (They come in a small bag with various assortments of other rings,but if you look, the round shaped ring will fit a dime perfectly into it's center after removing the small gem and with a little super glue,you have a give away that cost you maybe 30 cents.

I don't know if you could order just the round rings.If you could it would cost even less!(Hat tears are approximately $1.00 a piece, unless you make them yourself). You might as well just walk up and give every kid a dollar!
Just thought I'd share this with you.
Thanks,
illuzns
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Paper Hat Tears. People love this trick!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Nando
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
74 Posts

Profile of Nando
I'v started giving away a die made from a playing card from an effect in Robert Neales "Life, Death and other Card Tricks". Dollar bill rings are popular with some magicians I know. Illuzns, for a source for really cheap rings in bulk, check out the Oriental Trading Company. Lastly. the greatest give away ever in magic has to be the card from Anniversary Waltz!
Nando
The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity.
-Robert Anthony
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
There's an outstanding one by Daniel Cros in the current (February) issue of Magic.
ABlair36
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
234 Posts

Profile of ABlair36
There is a trick called show biz card. There is a small packet of maby 40 cards with a picture of a card. When you riffle through the card turns over and it is their selected card (forced). It's kind of like cardtoon. The last card with the picture of their card is like a big sticker that sticks to an average sized buisness card on the opposite side that you give away. It comes with refills. You just give those to people.
I also like to give them a signed card that I used in a performance with them.
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
400 Posts

Profile of Jay
I give away the penny that a person bends in their very own hand. I also give a magical wishing stone that has changed color in the volunteer's hand. PM me if you'd like more details.

Jay
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
I give out an array of giveaways like signed cards, pearl poodles, stargazer bands, even to special spectators playing cards with my charicature on the backs. But my favorite and most talked about is the polaroid pictures from "Say Cheese" I have elaborated on the gimmicks so I can have a choice of 52 different cards. People come back years later saying they still have the picture. I even got a wedding invitation where they used the picture as the cover. The picture was taken at the bar on their first date. Kind of kewl!

Park
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Mr.Darrow-
Thanks for the response to the post. I like the hat tears also,but I made up a really cool little bit using the Panty tears that gets a really good response from laymen.If you'd like you can PM me sometime and I'll give you more details.

Cheesewrestler- I do have this months issue of magic magazine and hav yet to read that article,but I will make it a point to check it out now. Thanks for the tip.

Magic886man-
Sounds like a pretty cool effect.If you don't mind me asking, who puts this trick trick out and how old is it? You can PM me if you want to thanks for the response.

Jay, I will PM you about those routines. They sound great. I used to do the "Teenie Weenie Hopping Half" a long time ago, but I don't even know where it is anymore. That trick used a bent penny also. Your's sounds cool though.

Your idea about the wishing stones sounds pretty visual. Great idea! Thanks for responding to the post.

Whodini- I have to agree that the pearl poodles are a great give away(Good choice). But I am interested in this other trick you were talking about. I haven't heard about "Say Cheese". Is it a marketed effect and if you wouldn't mind, for those of us who don't know what it is could you please give us a brief description of the effect? If you would prefer,you can PM me about it instead.

Thank you very much for responding to the post.I've always wondered about other really good giveaways for spectators. I appreciate all of those who have contributed to this post and openly shared their effects and ideas.

------------------------------

Just wanted to share the Routining that I use for the Hat tear and Panty tear for those of you who might be interested.

Usually I do this for a table that has more than one child present. Generally I begin with the younger or quieter of the kids.

First of all, I give the first child the regular paper to tear saying "Here, you take the pretty one and I'll take the ugly one." have them tear it up in to 4 pieces or so and then tell them "We're going to use the magic words Headwear,headwear,headwear... but speak very clearly, I'm a little hard of hearing in this ear."

I then produce the hat and give it to the kid.(This generally works better if the first child is a little girl and you make a pretty pink bonnet)

You then look at the older and more mature kid(This can even be a teenager or adult) and say "I know what you're thinking...You want one too!" Don't wait for a reply. Give them the next paper and tell them the same lines as the first time and ask them if they remember the magic words. But remind them to speak very clearly as your a little hard of hearing in that ear.

You then do the tear and produce the panties and say"Oh... I thought you said UNDERWEAR,UNDERWEAR,UNDERWEAR!!!
This routine never fails to gain laughs from the kids and the adults. I use it almost everytime I perform for my restaurant work. Kids even run around with the underwear on their heads!

Try it out and you will see the reaction it gets.
Take care and have fun.
Your friend,
illuzns
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
I usually give out my card, which I have done something magical with (and show them how to do the same with their friends, thereby showing my card AGAIN), and/or a balloon creation.

While some may have the idea of the little 3-twist puppies in mind, I am talking about something a bit more challenging/impressive, such as a corsage that fits on a woman's wrist or ponytail, and other items with a bit more of a finished look to them. Smile

I plan on using the Pride & Joy cards, and some other ideas in the near future. At one restaurant where I work weekly, a diner came up to show me a card that a friend had given him years ago... You may have guessed it; he pulled out the P&J card. That is what you want; not only longevity, but that mixed with showing other people!

JM Smile Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Just about any signed card but these two are the best: Anniversary Waltz Card and SideSwiped Card. Bent Penny also goes over very well. My Card/Your Card out to lunch business card.
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Jesterman-
Thanks for the good advice not only on the magic give aways,but on the general advice you gave to me on the PM also. I appreciate it. The balloons sound like they go over well for you. The fact that the person who approached you with the P&J card still had it in their pocket just goes to show you how strong an effect magic can have on kids and adults as well.
Thanks for the response.Hope to see your act someday in the near future.

Twistedace-
I have heard about Anniversary waltz and will probably begin using it soon. I don't recall ever hearing about the side swiped card. Could you PM me with details on this trick? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for responding,
illuzns
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Illuzns,

Sideswiped is a Simon Aaronson effect. The give away is a card used in the effect. You can buy refills of it. The effect is fairly recent and readily available from a number of online magic shops. It's received good reviews. It is suitable for strolling magic.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
elushinz
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Orlando
132 Posts

Profile of elushinz
What does anyone think about lucky rabbits feet? Too gruesome?
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f@#d up."
Mitch Hedburg
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Thanks stephen for the explanation.I hadn't heard of it, but I will probably put an order in for it soon.
I'm sure it is well worth it.

As for Lucky Rabbit's feet, I don't know.......
I think it would be a little bulky to carry around,Don't you??? Perhaps Lucky Rabbit droppings would be easier. Smile

I have been thinking of Making some "Loop Pens" with my name and business logo on them. Does anyone use these anymore? I had a lot of fun with them in the past. I like them because it is such a simple prop and has a purpose.The outcome of the effect is more like a puzzle and magic at the same time. Does anyone have any comments on the loop pens or routining?
Thanks,
illuzns
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
400 Posts

Profile of Jay
Illuzns:

It might be cool to have pens made up with your name and info on them, and then prepare them as giveaways after the climax of Paul Harris' Reality Twister. Michael Sibbernsen has taught many of us how to prepare the pens.

You know, I may have just stumbled onto something. I like this idea enough to use it!

Jay
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Jay-
Have you ever made the loop pens I spoke of earlier? This is a really cool Gag/Trick.In showing a spectator that you found a new way NOT to lose pens, The spectator allows you to place a pen thru the button hole of his Jacket or Blazer, thinking that you have simply slipped the loop of string over the end of the pen to do so.(This sounds a lot more confusing in print) Anyway, the spectator then realizes afterwards that the loop is too short for you to have done it like that. Only you the magician can get it back off.
I thought it would be cool to make a bunch of these and "Tag" people in my restaurant with them. What else can they do while trying to get this thing off???
READ THE PEN!!! This spectator will never forget you!
PM me for any further details on this.
Thanks,
illuzns
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
400 Posts

Profile of Jay
Yes, I have seen this before, and it's more of a puzzle than anything else. Not quite magical but under the right circumstances it can be a fun thing. I think this is what you are referring to, no?

http://www.aimsedu.org/Puzzle/pencil/pencil2.html

Have fun with it, but just remember how to take it off the other person!

Jay
philip tilston
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of philip tilston
I give out signed cards, signed Anniversary Waltz card and miniature magicwands. The wands are used in a sponge ball routine and bring in another spectator directly into the action, as he uses the wand and thus performs the magic at one stage. He gets involvement and credit, even though the sponge balls are not in his hands!

Phil
Ryan Anthony
View Profile
New user
Whidbey Is. WA
13 Posts

Profile of Ryan Anthony
Tommy Wonder has an effect entitled "Through the eye of a needle" on his Visions of wonder dvd set where a piece of thread cleanly penetrates the eye of a sewing needle 20 or so times. I've gotten great reactions with this. Plus, its a cheap give-a-way.
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Your favorite give away "Gifts"... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL