The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which cups, which balls, which wand? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I have been working on my cups and balls over the past few months, but I can't decide which ones to use. What do you think?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/03t11dceb0j4iw......JPG?dl=0
Reality is a real killjoy.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13336 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Who cares what we think.
Neither set looks very good to me, nor do wands or balls.

For that reason, use the ones you like best.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm with Frank.

I sometimes use a Brett Sherwood set of cups and balls at other times, a mini set from Donnie at RNT2 along with the balls he sells, and an Ammar wand regardless of which cups I use.
All about personal preference.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8185 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Zach!I saw the video that you posted last month. I think I commented, along with several others.

You seem to be too concerned about the PROPS. It's the PERFORMER, NOT the PROPS!!!

There is an old story about a musician who was booked to play a concert at Carnegie Hall. He arrived in a taxi, and in a hurry, he left his STRADIVARIUS, on the seat of the cab, when he arrived. Backstage, he realized what he had done. He borrowed a violin from another musician in the pit, and played the best concert of his life. It's not the instrument, it's the artist.

Unless you are performing for Dai Vernon, the spectator wont have any idea of who made the props. --And, frankly, I don't think that "the professor" would have cared.

YOU make the magic happen--NOT THOSE "TIN" CUPS!!!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
957 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2015, Frank Starsini wrote:
Who cares what we think.
Neither set looks very good to me, nor do wands or balls.

For that reason, use the ones you like best.

My opinion too.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1293 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Use th ones that feel the most comfortable to you and your performance.
This will put you at ease when performing and you can concentrate on making the magic instead of worrying about the props themselves.

I saw a guy use expensive props and he was worried about the props more than the magic. it was a terrible performance.
The right props make you comfortable and the magic familiar and relaxed.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1166 Posts

Profile of Montana76
I have three small piece of advice given in the order of importance:

1. The cheapest set (so you're not afraid of loosing them)
2. It is the performer not the prop
3. Gold cups, white loads and the the wand nearest the cups.

:)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Go in the kitchen, take 3 cups (they don't even have to match) from the cabinet. Go outside, being it is fall, pick up a small branch that fell from a tree. Take 3 dollar bills out of you wallet, screw them into a ball.

No go out and perform your routine.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
I have been working on my cups and balls over the past few months, but I can't decide which ones to use. What do you think?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/03t11dceb0j4iw......JPG?dl=0

Making your own decision on that is part of the learning process.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5139 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Go in the kitchen, take 3 cups (they don't even have to match) from the cabinet. Go outside, being it is fall, pick up a small branch that fell from a tree. Take 3 dollar bills out of you wallet, screw them into a ball.

No go out and perform your routine.

YES!!! Thank you Bill.

Like many of us I'm sure, I've actually done this at a picnic...paper napkins verses dollar bills...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1293 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Zach I like the gold cups and the white Monkey fists in your picture but none of those wands would be my preference. Practice is the best teacher and you can practice with any kind of cup.
It is a personal thing, which cups feel the best and most comfortable to you is what is important.

You make the magic not the props. You create the style and you know what you like and the types of audience you will be performing for.
I have sets of cups I have been using for 25yrs and sets that are newer. The performing situation demands a certain style for my performance and I am lucky to have the choices of props to perform to that style as the need arises. I have several different types of wands that I enjoy using. My three favorites are a wooden wand with brass tips, a moonlight magic wand with wooden tips and a Mikame wand with gold rings around wooden tips.

Enjoy,
Mobius
William Dee
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of William Dee
I actually gave a set of the silver cups to my son For the price they are a great starter set of cups and being made from stainless is a bonus (less work to maintain their appearance). I would use them if they were a set I had as a younger performer.
As far as balls I use Monkey Nutz brand balls with my cups; they are monkey fist balls too. I would use a magic marker as my wand with the set you have though. Of course these are all just my opinion but due to the humble appearance of the cups and knot balls a marker seems to make more sense to me.

Hope that is helpful
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Asking anyone else to tell you which set of cups to use is pretty much the same kind of thing as asking someone else which coin, which deck of cards, or whatever other prop you might be interested in using. NOBODY can make this choice for you.

At this stage of the game, keep practicing until you have a solid routine. When you get ready to "set it all in stone," go to a magic convention and see what RnT II has in stock. Handle several sets until you find the one that fits your hands and the loads you are planning to use. Then select a working surface that goes with what you normally wear. The working surface is the stage. Your clothing is the backdrop. The balls MUST be visible against both of these.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gatorjim
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of gatorjim
I've seen great and hilariously funny cup and ball routines performed with the "joke shop" plastic cups. The previous posters have provided excellent advice, particularly Bill Palmer. It's a personal thing.....you can spend a mint on the cups, but they are just a prop. It all comes down to your performance and the practice you have put in.

If cup and ball routines become your hallmark, you'll wind up with multiple routines, multiple cups, an assortment of balls and similar props to be hidden or produced from under the cups. Tom Mullica used to produce a variety of items from under his cups.....his routine was both simple but stunning.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
With all due respect to the previous posters, it DOES matter what prop you use. Bill Palmer mentioned some of the main reasons, but others are what fits your hand and character. Super light cups tend to tip over, as to those that are top heavy. I prefer to be able to stack the cups with three balls between the cups. I prefer a tighter, less fuzzy weave on the ball yarn.

Specifically speaking to your post above, I prefer the silver cups and none of the wands. I think a wand is an emblem and should be well made and elegant. If your character fits using a tree branch, then go for it. Personally I think using a butter knife or a marking pen, a bad choice. Show the wand a little respect, along with the art of magic.
micwize
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of micwize
I am looking for a wooden magic wand to use with cups and balls. Does anyone have a favourite wand with wooden tips that they could recommend please?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Try these two websites. They contain great wooden wands that are not too expensive:

http://www.levitmagic.com/levitwand/gall......dex.html

http://www.rnt2.com/wands/
micwize
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of micwize
Many thanks Leo!
micwize
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of micwize
Sherwood cups are very nice
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1717 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I would use a wand that is least likely to roll off the table.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which cups, which balls, which wand? (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL