The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting Mentalism (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brogan_C
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Brogan_C
There seems to be a lot about starting magic but nothing about starting mentalism. I already have Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism, Osterlind's MM1 and Annemann's Practical Mental Effects. As a high school student I'm not with audiences ever much larger than 5 people. If anyone else could recommend some other resources I'd great as a lot of material in these resources isn't very workable for a high school setting.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1053 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Osterlind's Easy To Master Mentalism (4 DVD's) are a good source for beginners.
Max Maven's Close-up Mentalism, Parlour Mentalism, Stage Mentalism (three DVD's) are also good.
And Maven's Prism book.

I'm suggesting these because I own them all. I cannot speak for other products.

mlippo
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Use the search function.
In your books is, however, much stuff that works even in your enviroment, you just need to revise the material.
-

Prometheus
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Bob Cassidy has some great material as does Richard Osterlind. I particularly like the metal miracles by Cassidy and Osterlinds intimate impossibilities. Larry Beckers standing ovation DVD is very good too.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
After forty years of magic, I decided to explore mentalism. After doing a bit of research, myself...I have chosen Bob Cassidy to study. I am currently reading "Fundamentals" and "Dr. Crow". I'm in no hurry. I have several Cassidy products to buy.

After reading a bit, I am convinced I could NOT have picked a better place to start! Smile

Doug
Brogan_C
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Brogan_C
Thank you all! I'll be sure to look into the books and DVDs listed above. Smile
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
What Am I Thinking by Marc Spelmann is something you are searching for, I think. This DVD should give you some food for thought if you read the books you already have!
-

Prometheus
DanielWeppler
View Profile
New user
Toronto
21 Posts

Profile of DanielWeppler
I don't do much mentalism but I'd say Corinda's 13 steps to mentalism would be helpful.
-Daniel
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1875 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
What props will you want to use? Cards? Coins? Books? Bits of paper?

I suggest learning a CT, a card st*ck, and a couple of psychological f*rces. With these tools you can learn what is written on a piece of paper that has been destroyed. You can have cards selected and put in a pocket without anyone seeing what they are - yet you know, and you can predict what someone is going to think before he thinks it.

There is plenty more you can do with these tools, too.

For me, the important thing was to decide what I wanted to do and then seek methods. As you have MM1, you also have instruction on Acidus Novus, which is a very strong way to obtain information. You also get the Osterlind CT. Spend some time with bits of paper and think of different ways to use those tools to read minds. MM2 is all about a powerful card st*ck and several ways to use it. Figure out how you want to justify a deck of cards, though. I find this easy but others find that their victims think of magic tricks rather than Mindreading.

When you are blowing minds with your new skills get Bob Cassidy's Artful Mentalism 2.

Patrick
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2191 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
How are doing on your mentalism journey?

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
If your budget allows, I can recommend the Cerberus Wallet by Daniel Meadows that I just picked up. Great training DVD, with lots of helpful references to resources that can add value to your purchase. In a very short time, my wife now thinks I'm a mentalist (not just Mental, heh :o)
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Max Maven's Multiplicity.

S.H.
May you live in interesting times.
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
Besides what has been said, I like very much Matt Mello's Modern mentalism and Rich Ferguson's This is mentalism.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Bob Cassidy's "Horror Movie Prediction" in Fundamentals is an IDEAL way for a beginner to see the basic tools one can use. Studying Cassidy's Billet Work and his Crow NW is enough to keep the student busy for years!

Larry Becker is another one to study. His Mental Masterpieces is one I recommend:

https://www.mymagic.com/becker.htm

Thing is, ya don't wanna spread yourself too thin. I mean, there is Osterlind too. But beginners like me, in Mentalism, that is...I researched a LOT before deciding Cassidy's the Man. If you are a beginner, and you are SERIOUS about this, and are willing to follow each step, I recommend starting here:

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

These are the books you start with. There is a reason Bob recommends George Anderson's It Must Be Mind Reading, You Too, Can Read Minds and Dynamite Mentalism.

The Jinx series is one I recommend. Google "free PDF of Annemann's Practical Mental Magic" and you'll see a PDF. That's a good one to start

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Starting Mentalism (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL