The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » How to display Jumbo Cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
I am doing a Triumph/Self-Reversing pack type of effect with Jumbo cards and want a showy/flashy way to show that the cards are back to all facing the same direction.

I have a tri-pod that has a 16" wide ledge that I can fan the cards on, but that is not really wide enough.
I then placed a 28" long plastic tube, that was slit open, onto the tri-pod's ledge, and put a thin board behind that to support the upper section of the cards. This works better, but it is still awkward and still not wide enough to let the face of each card show all at once.
So I'm left with pushing the cards, to sequentially display the faces. The amount of time it takes to do this seems to distract from what should be a surprising display.

Any thoughts?

Thanks;
John
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Qua-Fiki uses a Table Mate II folding tray table that allows him to slant the top down towards the audience and either sit or stand behind it to perform various card effects, like his "Invisible Man" trick:

You could mount a piece of hardboard or foamboard or cardboard on the tabletop, cover it with felt and extend it in both directions for a spread display. You'd probably want a bottom ledge to catch the cards that slide down.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
Jim:

Thanks for the thought, but I didn't want the cards to be hidden from the spectators at any point (this is for a parlor show)
Also, my cards are 8x11", and I want to show all 52! (or some reasonable facsimile).
I am doing something like what you mentioned; I have cut a wide slot down the length of a shower rod cover to act as an extender for the trough that is built into my tri-pod. I've considered putting 2 tri-pods together and running a much longer tube across the two. This would give me about a 3' length to spread the cards upon, but since I this seems to be a bit clunky, and would require time to re-separate the tripods for an effect immediately after this.

I may have to settle for a dynamic display (spreading the through the whole deck, but only sections show at one time)

Any other ideas??
John
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
8" x 11" seems excessively large for a parlor show. Dollar Store Jumbo Cards are 3.5" by 5" and are the size of the cards shown in the photo of Qua-Fiki above. You can also get regular size playing cards with jumbo indices on them. Setting up a special stand made of tripods and pipes in a parlor show also seems like a lot of work for one effect. Don't create more problems than you can solve.

One last thought with the 8x11 cards - start handing them out to the audience in packs of five to ten cards and let them sort through them on their own.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
Jim:

I agree that the cards are very large, and hard to handle, but that is part of my routine (I introduce this with my first card trick as a kid, where I had 2 decks of regular cards pinned to the inside of my sport coat. As we walked to church that morning they spontaneously all appeared, all on their own, all around my feet. Funny now, but when my mother saw this, well lets just say that she was not amused)

So, there will be some humor associated with showing them a very BIG card trick, also, this is for a nursing home, and I think the larger cards will also be easier for them. And, as you said, I hand out smaller packets to about 3 of the spectators to check that there are no trap doors or hidden assistants..

I'm using these cards for 2 back-to-back effects, the self reversing deck (all 52 cards) and then an OOTW effect (only 18). I think the final display for each of these effects is very important for the impact of the trick.

As I write, I am taking a 5' long plastic tube, and will cut it to produce a "U" shaped trough for holding the cards (and the tube will be supported across 2 of my tripods). It will be a little awkward, but I'm hoping that the big display will make this play as a big card trick Smile

I welcome other thoughts;
John
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
I ditched the plastic tube; it had too many issues. Now I'm working with balsa strips that fit in the trough of each tripod, and sturdy to span a ~6 inches from one tripod to another. I can now do a 3.5 to 4 foot spread of the cards.

Other ideas are still welcome.
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » How to display Jumbo Cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL