The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Destroying Heroin Fields... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
What if we could destroy over 90% of the poppy fields that produced the majority of illegal Heroin in the world? What if we did it? Would we save any lives? Would the millions that couldn't get the drug of choice sober up, go straight or enter a program? Would the financial deficit destroy any organized crime? What would really happen?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
You would drive the price up.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
It would make ice a better option. Heroin is the better drug for law enforcement and medics to deal with.
If drugs were poisoned, it would remove the problem all together.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Should I have put LOL after my last post??
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2015, landmark wrote:

I would think it would be basically unobtainable. If it were ten times as expensive and ten times harder to get, I'm pretty sure most people would look for a change of some kind. Perhaps the Heroin Cartels would go broke?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
From the net:
In June 1971, Nixon addressed Congress and declared, “as long as there is a demand, there will be those willing to take the risks of meeting the demand (Sharp, 1994, p.27).” In this statement he publicly proclaimed that all efforts of interdiction and eradication are destined to fail.

Unfortunately, Nixon failed to listen to his own advice. Nixon launched a massive interdiction effort in Mexico. The Drug Enforcement Agency was created in 1973. They initiated Operation Intercept, which pressured Mexico to regulate its marijuana growers. The U S government spent hundreds of millions of dollars closing up the border. Trade between Mexico and the U S came to a virtual standstill. Mass amounts of Mexican crops headed for the U S rotted, while waiting in line at the border. In the end, Nixon achieved his goal of curtailing the supply of Mexican marijuana in America. Columbia, however, was quick to replace Mexico as America’s marijuana supplier.

The interdiction of Mexican marijuana was the government’s first lesson in the “iron law of drug economics (Rosenberger, 1996, p.22).” Every effort the U S government has made at interdiction since Operation Intercept has at most resulted in a reorganization of the international drug trade. Heavily monitored drug routes have been rerouted. Drugs enter the United States through land, sea, and air. Closing our borders to drug smugglers is an impossibility as long as the demand exists.

"the last line says it all."
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:

I would think it would be basically unobtainable. If it were ten times as expensive and ten times harder to get, I'm pretty sure most people would look for a change of some kind. Perhaps the Heroin Cartels would go broke?

the US might go broke..........
from the net.
The single largest marketplace for illegal drugs continues to be the United States. Although the market has decreased dramatically since its heyday in the mid-80's, close to thirteen million Americans still think nothing about occasionally buying a gram of cocaine, a few hits of ecstasy or a quarter ounce of weed to party with their friends on the weekends. A hard core group (see the chart) estimated at between 5 and 6 million have more serious drug habits, and may spend $100-$500 dollars a week on purchasing their drugs. These two groups - hard core users and casual users - spend approximately $60 billion dollars a year, according to U.S. government estimates.
Imagine a typical weekend in New York City. Experts estimate that at least one percent of the population - 80,000 plus - spends $200 on illicit drugs. That alone would amount to $16 million dollars a week or $832 million a year.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:

I think you should buy a plane and a lot of incendiary bombs and flame throwers, and see what happens.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Users would turn to easy-to-make more dangerous drugs, Krokadile, etc. The quantity of drugs would rise, the prices plummet, the mafias would change powers and the importing up from the labs in the South would get really really bloody.

For starters. Not a good scenario from any angle. Legalize it all, treat the addicts, and let the mafias suck wind.

The problem with that acenario is finding another way to feed Gov't money to various police departments as the DARE program dissolves.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Homeland Security's got that covered. Not to worry, Tom.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Users would turn to easy-to-make more dangerous drugs, Krokadile, etc. The quantity of drugs would rise, the prices plummet, the mafias would change powers and the importing up from the labs in the South would get really really bloody.

For starters. Not a good scenario from any angle. Legalize it all, treat the addicts, and let the mafias suck wind.

The problem with that acenario is finding another way to feed Gov't money to various police departments as the DARE program dissolves.

Krokadile is just plain ridiculous. Google some pics to see what I mean.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, landmark wrote:
Homeland Security's got that covered. Not to worry, Tom.

I forgot about that. With DARE, you got squad cars. With Homeland, you get tanks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So you are saying that Americans that casually use drugs would have almost an extra trillion bucks to spend on other fun things?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
One option is to legalize it and regularize it like alcohol or tobacco. It always puzzles me why some drugs are legal and others are not. By drinking legal alcohol I get a product that was made with some quality control and that will do what it is meant to do, nothing more. I would not drink illicit alcohol (unless I made it myself) because I don't know what else is in it.

Some people will continue to get high. Burn the poppy fields and they will just switch drugs.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
So if we destroy that Afghani poppy fields that do us so much harm...will we allow them to come to US and destroy aircraft and munitions plants?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I read somewhere on this board that private property is sacrosanct. There are, apparently, members here who would fight to the death for the property rights of poppy farmers.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, imgic wrote:
So if we destroy that Afghani poppy fields that do us so much harm...will we allow them to come to US and destroy aircraft and munitions plants?

I'd do that trade!!!! How about we just don't Make the planes and bombs and they just don't make the Heroin .. Win Win!!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2015, Slim King wrote:
What if we could destroy over 90% of the poppy fields that produced the majority of illegal Heroin in the world? What if we did it? Would we save any lives? Would the millions that couldn't get the drug of choice sober up, go straight or enter a program? Would the financial deficit destroy any organized crime? What would really happen?

Since those fields are in other people's soverign nations, and the money from that crop servest the interests of those who control the fields... you're asking some quetions beyond what you posted.

Try rephrasing it as "tobaccco crops in the USA" and see how it goes
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I read somewhere on this board that private property is sacrosanct. There are, apparently, members here who would fight to the death for the property rights of poppy farmers.

Some truce John. Way to go. Now if you think you get attacked in other threads maybe this is something you should remember.

or you could admit it was an out of line attack. My money is on that not happening but rather some excuse.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I thought it was a joke. But it also raises a serious ethical question. How do we feel about this kind of use of private property?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Destroying Heroin Fields... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL