The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Man Handcuffs = INCREDIBLE REACTIONS (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jsbosco
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
64 Posts

Profile of jsbosco
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, Bluesman wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, Bluesman wrote:

The first time I did the Crazy Man Handcuffs was back in the 60's.

Man, I'm old. LOL

Emmett

Back in the 60's?

Arthur Setterington, the creator, didn't publish this until 1970.

It appeared in The New Pentagram ~ May, 1970 as The Getaway.

I have the Tarbell Course in magic from 1927. And it's in there. It's under the name of " The Uncanny Penetrating Rubber Bands".
If you look into the new Tarbell books. It's in Vol. 7 page 214 under the same name.
Lou Tannen likes to do this with two differently colored rubber bands. And this was back in the late 20s.
So you're telling me that Arthur Setterington, the creator didn't come up with this till 1970? I bet he owned a copy of the Tarbell course in magic too. Lol

Emmett

Volume 7 of Tarbell was compiled by Harry Lorayne and published in 1972. The name "Crazy Man's Handcuffs" was invented by Daryl and published by Michael Ammar in 1989.

https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.php?id=misc:crazy_mans_handcuffs#:~:text=%E2%80%9CCrazy%20Man's%20Handcuffs%E2%80%9D%20was%20invented,22.

Did you ever show this trick to another magician in the 60s?
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Quote:
On May 15, 2023, jsbosco wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, I'm old. LOL

Emmett

Back in the 60's?

I have the Tarbell Course in magic from 1927. And it's in there. It's under the name of " The Uncanny Penetrating Rubber Bands".
If you look into the new Tarbell books. It's in Vol. 7 page 214 under the same name.
Lou Tannen likes to do this with two differently colored rubber bands. And this was back in the late 20s.
So you're telling me that Arthur Setterington, the creator didn't come up with this till 1970? I bet he owned a copy of the Tarbell course in magic too. Lol

Emmett

Volume 7 of Tarbell was compiled by Harry Lorayne and published in 1972. The name "Crazy Man's Handcuffs" was invented by Daryl and published by Michael Ammar in 1989.

https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.php?id=misc:crazy_mans_handcuffs#:~:text=%E2%80%9CCrazy%20Man's%20Handcuffs%E2%80%9D%20was%20invented,22.

Did you ever show this trick to another magician in the 60s?

Ammar's intro to the 1989 publication of CMH states:

"...I want to make certain that historical credit remains accurate. Arthur Sutherington, from England, apparently invented the effect itself. Herb Zarrow (of shuffle fame) realized it's potential and cleaned up the handling enough fool those who might have seen this little known effect before. He showed it to Lou Tannen, who then pushed
for It's Inclusion into Tarbell Seven. Harry Lorayne, one of magic's greatest authors, wrote Tarbell Seven, but since Herb didn't walk through the handling with Harry himself, it was inaccurately written up. In the meantime, Dennis Marks (one of New York's "inner circle") moved to 1os Angeles. Dennis was able to perform this beautifully, so before long, It became a pet secret of the LA magic underground. Finally, Dennis showed it to Bob Jardine, who became the resident magician at the Magic Castle for awhile. Few ever performed this as well as Bob, so it soon became his trademark. It Is fairly safe to say that anyone else in the country who does this effect, and that Includes myself and Davld Copperfield, does It because they saw one or these three people doing it."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, I'm old. LOL

Emmett

Back in the 60's?

Emmett

I'm looking at my copy of "The Original Tarbell Course," under "Rope, Tapes and Rubber Bands." and I see nothing called "The Uncanny Penetrating Rubber Bands."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I agree with Ed. I cannot it find it in the Magic Maker's reprint "The Original Tarbell Course" or the Conjuring Arts PDF (searchable) version.

As explained above (and bears repeating), Arther Setterington is credited with the plot/idea and initial handling. As mentioned above it was published by Peter Warlock in the "New Pentagram" in May, 1970. Herb Zarrow modified the handling and showed it to Lou Tanner who had it put in the Tarbell volume 7 (written by Harry Lorayne).

Daryl came up with the name "Crazy Man's Handcuffs" and Michael Ammar popularized it making it a signature piece.

I traveled a lot in the mid to late 60s and 70s and never saw it performed or heard it mentioned. Was in NYC in 1977 hanging out with Jeff Sheridan when I could and almost living at Tanner's Magic shop. In the weeks I was there I didn't see it performed or mentioned. I really didn't see it performed until the mid 80s in Washington D.C. At Als Magic Shop. One of the young guys behind the counter was performing the trick). Later, almost every restaurant worker I ran into was carrying a bunch of rubber bands around their wrists. It was almost the uniform of the day for close-up, table hopping magicians.

Emmett should have published his version if he was performing it in the 60s!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I bought the whole Tarbell series, hard cover volumes 1-8, 20 years ago. My copy has this trick right where Emmett said it was, page 214 as the uncanny penetrating rubber bands. Not the best of descriptions but it is there.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The 8 volume series is NOT the single volume bound version of the original course which was published in the 1920s as a mail order course. The implication that the rubber band through rubber band penetration trick was published well before the 1970 time frame. It may have been but not in the original mail order course that was referenced (that I can find and I am still looking).

There is no argument about it being in Volume 7 of the multi volume course. It is, in fact there as described.

Volume 7 was written by Harry Lorayne, Illustrated by Ed MIshell, and copyrighted in 1972.

Harlan Tarbell had been dead over 10 years before Volume 7 was published.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
UKNeil
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
I remember teaching the Crazy Man's Handcuffs to a load of residents in a homeless hostel I worked in. It was an interesting experience watching people that were usually quite noisy settle down and learn the effect.
Some got it some didn't.
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Man Handcuffs = INCREDIBLE REACTIONS (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL