The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner starting off tips? (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
Hi, I am a beginner and I am looking for some tips for starting off in magic.I know a few tricks. I'm maybe a small bit off beginner. My favourite is card magic but all tips are welcome. My favourite magicians are shawn farquhar, Dynamo or David Blaine. So if anyone has tips that show tricks of them that would be great.
Thank You!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Go to my magic site and click on Magic Books - check out THE MAGIC BOOK - it's the book that started David Blaine in magic. Written originally for beginners. Best - Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
That's the site with the word "magic" in it.

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Not sure what you are asking. Are you looking for some effects to perform from the magicians you mentioned? Are you wanting
tips on how to present the magic you already know? Are you looking for resources on different fields of magic other than cards, such as coins, ropes or magic with ordinary objects? Maybe you are interested in stand-up as opposed to close-up.
Your post is a little vague to me.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
I would like close up magic.I wouldn't mind some effects from the mentioned magicians. I am looking for card magic and I am looking for tips to start as well
brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
Harry Loyrane, You know David Blaine?!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yes, I know David Blaine - and he knows me!

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
What a surprise!!!!

brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
That's awesome, check out the contact email I sent to you. It would be great If you replied as you are truly a magic legend
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
295 Posts

Profile of Kingman
Well, the first tip I can give you, aside from Harry's to get the Magic Book, which is a must have for all magicians, would be to determine your direction. Your question is too broad. Tips for starting where? on the street? For kids? Restaurants? Tips for routining? Tips for picking effects? Tips on patter? If all you want is to see tricks then use Youtube. If you want to learn from the great people on this forum, then pose a question that can be answered. And go get Harry's book.
Would love to help, if you know more specifically what you are looking for.
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
295 Posts

Profile of Kingman
A good way to start is to create a routine and perform it and perfect it and perform it and perfect it and perform it. With changes as needed...There are plenty of videos showing routines by many of the members of the Café. Watch how they do it, how the effects logically follow each other and build toward some ultimate goal of the performer.
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
I would like close up magic.I wouldn't mind some effects from the mentioned magicians. I am looking for card magic and I am looking for tips to start as well.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Kingman has some great advice, read it slowly and carefully. Too many beginners try to do too much. A handful of well developed routines is far superior to dozens of rushed "tricks". It's easy for beginners to get caught up in needing to learn a new trick. Often a beginner finds himself performing for the same people over and over and therefore needs something new to show them. Instead of putting effort into finding something new to perform, put effort into finding new people to perform for. Routines get better the more you perform them and refine them.

When I was starting my focus was on performing a "magic trick" for people. I didn't see the need to work on presentation. I thought my presentations were just fine, what I needed was to develop my moves. I ignored the advice I was given to read books on entertainment and showmanship. Big mistake. Eventually, I began to wonder why some magicians were just so much more enjoyable and magical than others. I remember watching a magician perform a routine with a prop that I would have never used, because it simply seemed boring and not magical. But his performance was fantastic and magical. The same prop, in my hands would have bored everyone, myself included. Same holds true even it the prop is a deck of cards in very skilled hands. What makes the difference. There is a difference between performing a "magic trick" for someone and creating an entertaining magical experience. I am still learning how to accomplish this difference, but the audience reactions are night and day when you start to figure it out. Magicians are entertainers first and foremost.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, brianmagic23 wrote:
Hi, I am a beginner and I am looking for some tips for starting off in magic.I know a few tricks. I'm maybe a small bit off beginner. My favourite is card magic but all tips are welcome. My favourite magicians are shawn farquhar, Dynamo or David Blaine. So if anyone has tips that show tricks of them that would be great.
Thank You!

I have not replied to your PM because you have not really replied to mine. You answered none of my questions. Especially read the last few lines of my PM. I have many cardician friends, Daryl Martinez, Steve Reynolds, Jon Racherbaumer, Ricky Jaye, et sl. I knew many of those who have left us. --Ed Marlo, Alex Elmsley, Charlie Miller Frank Garcia, Dai Vernon, et al. I enjoy(ed) watching all of them work. But, I am not one of them.

I don't know David Blaine, and I don't care. The same goes for Chris Angel.

I suggest that you read and heed wwhokie's post above.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, Kingman wrote:
Well, the first tip I can give you, aside from Harry's to get the Magic Book, which is a must have for all magicians, would be to determine your direction. Your question is too broad. Tips for starting where? on the street? For kids? Restaurants? Tips for routining? Tips for picking effects? Tips on patter? If all you want is to see tricks then use Youtube. If you want to learn from the great people on this forum, then pose a question that can be answered. And go get Harry's book.
Would love to help, if you know more specifically what you are looking for.

As much as I agree with this I just want to add don't put the blinkers on. Have a good look around. Remeber magic comes in many forms. I don't just mean close up or stage. Alway be looking and devloping your style and be ready to change and try somthing new.

The hardest thing to do is find something you want to learn and stay focused on it and not get distracted.

Hope this helps have fun
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I know you like cards and all but I'm just going to suggest 2 things a thumbtip, and sponges. Check out the book Carneycopia there is a vast wealth of knowledge in that book and most of the stuff in it is fairly easy to learn and it can play small or big. That's my 2 cents and if Dick is pming you offering you advice listen. If he's taking the time to message you that's the least you can do and take all the earlier suggestions to heart as well cause they're all good ones. good luck and have fun on your journey.
brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
Thank you for the replies.it is very helpful. Any other tips.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola, FL
269 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Join a magic club. There you might find a mentor to help you get started and stay focused.

Don't buy the latest magic tricks. Instead look for a book that will build a solid foundation of magic. Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book, Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic, and Tarbell Volume 1 are great places to start and all of them cover a variety of different magic. If you mostly want to stick to card magic for now, look into Royal Road of Card Magic or Card College.

Regardless of the book you choose, just start at the beginning and work your way through. These books are laid out so that each chapter builds off of the previous one. Lay your foundation by being methodical and taking your time.

When you practice, perform the sleights and tricks as slowly as possible and focus on correct technique. Slowly practicing correct technique will help build proper muscle memory. Speed will come with repetition. Practice in front of a mirror to see if your are flashing, rather than staring at your hands while you perform a sleight. That's a bad habit that can be hard to break. When you are performing for your friends and family, if you watch your hands, they will watch your hands.

If you are having difficulty with a sleight, keep working a little bit on it, but don't get hung up on it. It's okay to take a break from it. Some sleights take longer to "cook" than others. Some may take years, before you are ready to incorporate it into a trick. Just revisit these periodically and one day you'll have that epiphany where you "get it."

Once you have the technique for a given trick down, try it with the patter provided. If it doesn't sound like you then re-write the patter, paraphrasing it in your own words.

After you have your technique and patter down, next comes rehearsal. Rehearsal is sort of like practice. Its practicing all the parts together as though you are actually performing. Rehearse in front of a mirror or video camera.

When you are ready to perform, to get comfortable with presenting magic, pick a trick that has one or two easy sleights or one that is self-working. This way you don't have to concentrate too hard on the sleight of hand and instead you can work on making your presentation fun and entertaining.

When you fail, note what you did wrong, correct it, and try again. Magic is a constant learning process. Learn from your books. Learn from your videos. Learn from your performances.

Good luck, sir.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Brianmagic23 you have received some very powerful advice by some extremely knowledgeable and professional people. You can't go wrong with the works of Harry Lorayne, Mark Wilson, Royal Road to Card Magic, etc. You will NOT GET EVERYTHING OVERNIGHT. Someone was once asked; "How do you get to Carnegie Hall". The reply was; "Practice, Practice, Practice". Take the advice and work on it. You won't be sorry.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner starting off tips? (37 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL