The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What to buy? For my Mini magic prop collection. (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
A serious question deserves a serious answer. The following are truly outstanding peices of bizarre magick craftmanship and thinking.
The Knowing Game - Steve Peebles
Elite Cuss Cards - Alchemy Moon
Ghost and the Doppelganger Books - Professor BC
Luna 1934-1936 - Outlaw Effects
Codex Venefictium - Bobby Hasbun
Bone of the Elder
Bob
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Can I just check, when you say "collections of mini magic":

Is your collection small?

Or do you collect miniature props?

Because, apart from the doll house slates, most of the effects mentioned here are not mini by nature.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, mcharisse wrote:
Another vote for the duck

Now this is genius - I'm busting my duck out of the closet and dress her up in some manner - maybe techno psychic
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
I think the main point here is the one that has been mentioned several times. What is your context? What do you want the props for?
If it is a 'trick' with a bizarre slant to it, there are many on the market. For example, you could not go wrong with Jim Critchlow's 'Till Death Do us Part'.
Alternatively, you can take pretty much any old routine or trick and give is a Bizarre slant. If you are looking for a specific prop from the bizarre end of magic, as many have said, the main retailers often flaunt their wares here (including me!) - it is simply a matter of visiting the sites and seeing what takes your fancy.

However, I think a word of caution is needed here too. The world of Bizarre Magic is quite a peculiar and rather advanced branch of the art in many ways. Although there are some truly wonderful items available here. The real value of bizarre magic in not something that you get in a jiffy bag, but the concepts and the potentials that come from engaging with the ideas generated here. For example, I really do not like the term 'bizarre' magic, as it gives the impression that we are just interested in death, vampires and witches - that kind of stuff. I think there is a lot more to value if we 're-brand' Bizarre magic as Mystery Performance or Metaphysical Magic. So it is the thinking and exploration behind this aspect of the art that is of particular interest. I think that if you are new to this branch of Mystery performance, jumping in at the deep end would not be a great idea. For example, I would love to sell you the Cuss Cards that have been mentioned here. But I would not recommend it.

There is no single definition of what Mystery performance is, neither should there be. However, there is a definite leaning here towards magic with meaning. We have, I think, come a long way from slapping a skull on an old trick and calling it 'bizarre'. I have been around long enough to have watched these ideas develop and for our thinking and art to develop with it. One of the main defining factors of Mystery performance for me is context. Not many people here see Mystery performance as 'doing a trick' with a spooky story attached (or at least one would hope not). The roots of Mystery performance lie in storytelling. Your aim is to transport the audience out of there normal frame of reference into the magical world that you, as a story teller, have constructed for them.

With this in mind, the first step is in developing this aspect of your art, and this can be done just as well with the cups and balls as with anything I may sell you. Props are important to us, and authenticity of props likewise. This is because there is a substantial theatrical aspect to our art. However, in my opinion the art comes before the prop and I there can be a tendency to hide behind props at the expense of performance. I think the main tool of a Mystery performance is you, and that is where you should start. An outstanding performance of mystery can be achieved just as well with a coin as it can with an expensive prop. How do you perform a coin vanish so that the audience are transported into another world, a world of magical reality where such things are possible? How do you create this theatre? How do you weave a story that takes the audience out of their mundane world and transports them into you magical reality? How do you use your voice and presence to command the authority to do this? These are the true 'tricks' of our trade.

Learn them first and you will find that the items suggested will make more sense and resonate more with what you are trying to achieve.

There is one more important facet of Mystery Performance, one that is of the utmost importance to me, and one that has emerged in recent years. This is better defined by the term 'Metaphysical Magic' (one should seek out the work of Todd Landman here). What I mean by this is closely related to the function of the performance. I will plug my own blog here (http://alchemymoon.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0......eed.html) simply to stop me repeating myself. There is more of a concern over the 'why' than the 'what' in Mystery Performance. Why are you performing and for what ends? Some of the more interesting thinking in this field is looking at the interface between magical performance and true magic. In this regard, you can do no better than to pick up some of Paul (Voodini) Bell's work. So a study of sources outside of traditional magic books is important, as is gaining skills in story-telling, theatre, hypnosis, guided fantasy and energy work (to name a few). There is a growing understanding amongst some that we can be magicians again. If this is ever going to happen, it is going to happen here. This is the only branch of magic that is open minded and exploratory enough to allow for this.

So there is a lot to consider. But I will return to my original point. If you aim is to collect interesting and well crafted items - you have come to the right place. If you aim is to perform 'Bizarre' magic, forget the props and study what it is about and develop the skills needed to use the props with the power they deserve.

To a magician, magic is present in even the most mundane item...
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Here are a couple of pictures for 'context'
As for the Tenyo, the collection is almost complete for what I want.
As for Magic Wagon and Alan Warner, I buy what I can afford & when it shows up in the market. Which isn't that often. I have a lot of the easier ones to find.
Hope this helps define my quest. As you can see, I'm not looking for just spooky props.
Maybe there even isn't enough bizarre magic items like these to create a collection.

Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Do you perform or do you just want to have some cool props to look at?
I also don't think you would be interested in expensive gaffed books which we do value and have a lot of?
What do you want them for? I think some people think it's because you will use them in performance?
Collections often sit on shelves and collect dust.
Unless its for educational purposes or history references (museum showcases), I personally don't get it, beside it being cool to look at, do they not become nic naks in the end?
I'm not judging. If you have the money and like to collect, it's cool stuff to collect.
I think you are looking at visually, interesting pieces for your collection as being the main criteria, correct?
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2015, Darkness wrote:
Do you perform or do you just want to have some cool props to look at?
I also don't think you would be interested in expensive gaffed books which we do value and have a lot of?
What do you want them for? I think some people think it's because you will use them in performance?
Collections often sit on shelves and collect dust.
Unless its for educational purposes or history references (museum showcases), I personally don't get it, beside it being cool to look at, do they not become nic naks in the end?
I'm not judging. If you have the money and like to collect, it's cool stuff to collect.
I think you are looking at visually, interesting pieces for your collection as being the main criteria, correct?

You got it exactly right! & thank you for not judging Smile
Yup, They do collect dust Smile

Think of it this way- People collect stamps, coins, cars, art, Barbie dolls, cookie jars, coke signs, spiders & snakes, baseball cards, autographs, post cards, butterflies, sea shells, shot glasses, Christmas ornaments, thimbles, match books................. MAGIC TRICKS (which I consider works of art !!!!

I wonder what it is you do that I don't get Smile

Plus, I get to play with these toys and do in fact perform them for friends & family.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Not judging, I used to collect as well and it's cool stuff to collect. I personally have different views now on collecting now.

If you perform first and foremost that's a different conversation of what you may wish to perform first and collect second?
Some collector's just like to collect cool looking stuff and perform occasionally but value the props over performance?

We could cite a list of stuff but visiting the websites may help you decided what you like after all it is art.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Looks like a great collection and that you have put a lot of time and money into it. Notice you have 2 old phones on the wall. Do you collect them too or are they functional? One has a cord hanging down so I wasn't sure. What some bizarre enthusiast do that most probably don't get is the shock value or emotional response from the spectator. You can do the paddle trick and everyone goes, "Wow man, that was cool. Can I see that paddle?" Of course you say no. However as a bizarre magic performer I walk up and place an unusual object in your hands; such as a mental institution patient book, an artifact such as a monkey paw, or maybe an embalmed fetus. Usually very little conversation after that. Purpose accomplished.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2015, weepinwil wrote:
Notice you have 2 old phones on the wall. Do you collect them too or are they functional? One has a cord hanging down so I wasn't sure. .

LOL nope, don't collect phones, but many people do!
The one with the cord actually plugs into my iPhone,
The other is a VoIP and is connected to my office.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Just realized that one of my pictures is upside down. How bizarre (sorry)
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
These are all miniature bizarre Smile

Pandora 7 inches across

Lilliand jewelry box 6 inches across

Spiritas 7 inches across
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Roth,
Now we're talking.
Those are exactly the kind of things I will look into.
Anyone , any other ideas like these?
Thanks Roth.
Ed

PS- Wiz, thanks for the kind words.
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2015, edshern wrote:
Roth,
Now we're talking.
Those are exactly the kind of things I will look into.
Anyone , any other ideas like these?
Thanks Roth.
Ed

PS- Wiz, thanks for the kind words.

Check out some of the items in these collections. If you see something of interest, I'm sure the owners can let you know where you might obtain a similar item.
Bizarre Magic Rooms
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
Dr. Fellshadow
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA
15 Posts

Profile of Dr. Fellshadow
Respectfully, if we are born with nothing of material possession, and we die with nothing of material possession, what is the sense in collecting all those material things? Other than taking up physical space and collecting dust, perhaps they are worth money and your offspring or family can sell them after you pass on for a substantial profit? I'm just striving to understand the whole psychology behind "collection obsession"... And yes you heard me correct when I said "collection obsession," which I most certainly think of it as (as well as an addiction). Personally, I like to pack light, keep it simple and teach it real. The older I get the more I have come to appreciate simplicity and the process of decluttering (aka letting go of junk and/or unusable and ever-buried items).

In addition, just a random question to throw out here... How many are actively "passing on the craft" to the younger generations? I am curious to know if anyone has a student they are instructing, teaching and supporting, or if ALL this magic pride, boasting, collecting, purchasing, prop-aging and performance practice/experience is just done in vain?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, Nlongi Yilwa wrote:
Respectfully, if we are born with nothing of material possession, and we die with nothing of material possession, what is the sense in collecting all those material things? Other than taking up physical space and collecting dust, perhaps they are worth money and your offspring or family can sell them after you pass on for a substantial profit? I'm just striving to understand the whole psychology behind "collection obsession"... And yes you heard me correct when I said "collection obsession," which I most certainly think of it as (as well as an addiction). Personally, I like to pack light, keep it simple and teach it real. The older I get the more I have come to appreciate simplicity and the process of decluttering (aka letting go of junk and/or unusable and ever-buried items).

In addition, just a random question to throw out here... How many are actively "passing on the craft" to the younger generations? I am curious to know if anyone has a student they are instructing, teaching and supporting, or if ALL this magic pride, boasting, collecting, purchasing, prop-aging and performance practice/experience is just done in vain?

Welcome to Spooky.

I'm curious as to why you're choosing to wade in with such an abrasive tone?

Care to tell us a bit about yourself?
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, YitzhakNoDice wrote:
- scroll of dark magic
- funerary urn
- monkey's paw
- voodoo dolls (one with its head ripped off)
- scrying mirror or sphere
- dirt from the graveyard
- dagger with dried blood still adhering
- mystic symbols and writing on parchment or more questionable media
- dead flowers in vase

Oh, Curator! Ouch!

That sounded like the breakfast I had this morning while I was reading my parchment news sheet.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, Nlongi Yilwa wrote:

It's rather simple. BECAUSE WE CAN AFFORD IT.

Now maybe you would like to jump back in here and try another post that doesn't sound so uppity?
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, edshern wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, The Curator wrote:
I would without hesitation, buy a card Duck. The ultimate magical relic.

I like it. Something like this, or are the old ones cooler?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14451
https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/co......ing-mfg/

It looks perfect to me.
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
To infinity, and beyond!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What to buy? For my Mini magic prop collection. (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL