The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to print a book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RagnarzA
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RagnarzA
HI, where is the best website to print your own book? thank you
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
In think you are asking the wrong people. Why don't you search out a writer's blog?

Hudson
RagnarzA
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RagnarzA
Ok thank you
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
571 Posts

Profile of karnak
Actually, I would recommend Amazon.com's own self-publishing platform, which is called CreateSpace. Just Google it for more info. Best of all, it's free!

I used it to self-publish my own novel, MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER (check it out at Amazon.com!): http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thril......53874836
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5896 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's one source:

https://www.lulu.com
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RagnarzA
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RagnarzA
Thanks guys Smile
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
I've published 7 through LuLu.
You will need to have a pdf creation program such as Adobe to be able to create the files for your cover and one file for the actual book.
People will ask what did I write about...well they are def not about magic for magi, my works are about the 100's of different plants used in Curandero work in the Peruvian Amazon . I'm a Botanist and Naturalist with a MS from ASU. Been living on and off in the Amazon and Andes for the last 20+yrs studying with different Curanderos and the river people on the Supay.
RagnarzA
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RagnarzA
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2015, Tree wrote:
I've published 7 through LuLu.
You will need to have a pdf creation program such as Adobe to be able to create the files for your cover and one file for the actual book.
People will ask what did I write about...well they are def not about magic for magi, my works are about the 100's of different plants used in Curandero work in the Peruvian Amazon . I'm a Botanist and Naturalist with a MS from ASU. Been living on and off in the Amazon and Andes for the last 20+yrs studying with different Curanderos and the river people on the Supay.

thank you. what do you recommend: the standard paperback or premium paperback?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5896 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's another:

http://www.blurb.com/
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RagnarzA
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RagnarzA
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2015, motown wrote:
Here's another:

thank you
jmbulg
View Profile
Loyal user
Belgium
206 Posts

Profile of jmbulg
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2015, motown wrote:
Here's another:

I used blurb up to now for holiday photos on high quality books and I'm quite happy. This is however much too expensive for magic books. Did someone try the cheaper printing versions ? What about the visibility or parallel ways to advertise the books ?

Thanks
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8684 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2015, motown wrote:
Here's one source:

https://www.lulu.com

I have published 38 books on lulu -- only a couple on magic themes.

It is easy to do, but shipping cost of physical books can be a problem. Of course, you can allow an ebook version.

I am my own best customer for printed books as give-a-ways

The problem is marketing. I have never received a single sale as the result of lulu efforts.

The have expensive (for me) marketing programs and I can't speak to the success of those.

I have checked into Amazon but to requires a different format and my existing books will not translate.

I will try a new book there and see if the marketing results are better.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Depending on the size of your book, Lulu might not be your best option. For simple booklets, you could make use of Staples or Office Town. A 16 page (four sheets of paper) folded in half and stapled would run less than a dollar per booklet. I have a couple for shut-eyes on ESP related stuff that work great on my BOR table.

Also, if you have MS-Word, it will save your work as a PDF file.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2015, funsway wrote:

The problem is marketing. I have never received a single sale as the result of lulu efforts.

Perhaps no one is interested in your writings.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
191 Posts

Profile of Zee
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2015, DWRackley wrote:
Depending on the size of your book, Lulu might not be your best option.
Also, if you have MS-Word, it will save your work as a PDF file.

Hi, Mr. Rackley. If I want to publish a 150~200 page book, then what might be the best option? I was going to use Lulu but it seems like I can do some more researches.

Zee
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It depends on what your purpose is. Are you wanting to publish in quantity to make a living as a writer? If so, you need to start by finding an agent. If you want to self-publish in small quantities like many magicians do there are several routes, some are already mentioned. If you are good with learning computer software try Adobe InDesign (the one I use) or any DTP program. You can save your document on a thumb drive and have it produced at Kinko's, Office Depot, or any private printer that can read the file. That way, you can print one copy or as many as you might want or need.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, MRSharpe wrote:
It depends on what your purpose is. Are you wanting to publish in quantity to make a living as a writer? If so, you need to start by finding an agent. If you want to self-publish in small quantities like many magicians do there are several routes, some are already mentioned. If you are good with learning computer software try Adobe InDesign (the one I use) or any DTP program. You can save your document on a thumb drive and have it produced at Kinko's, Office Depot, or any private printer that can read the file. That way, you can print one copy or as many as you might want or need.

This is absolutely correct. The best platform depends on the type of book and what you are trying to accomplish. Also most importantly, who is the audience for the book. If it is a book about magic and you want to self publish then it is about getting it in with magic dealers so that magicians can see it and buy it. You are going to have a hard time accomplishing that if you are publishing on lulu or amazon or similar platforms.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to print a book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL