The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » YOU SWITCHED IT! silk to egg response (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 17, 2015, magicsecure wrote:
Why not just do the last part of the trick really its a long tirck to long of a trick. just use the real egg push the silk into your hand and pocket it have the sticker on the other side of the egg pull your silk out. crack the egg open heck crack the egg open into a dove pan and so on

Why not? Because it is suppose to be a miracle transformation. With your method, your hands are not shown empty, and what reason are you using to go to your pocket. Finally, magic is not the exposure of magic, it is performing entertaining miracles.

Buy the way, your description does not make any sense, pull the silk out of the sticker?
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
No pull the slik back from the pocket to show its not in the egg and pull the sticker off like the lance Burton clip he put up
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah Bill!

Perhaps when Mr. "Secure" has learned a few principles and has a bit of experience, he MAY "get it".

It's evident, to me at least, that a person who can't write a cohesive sentence, with punctuation, and capital letters, should refrain from giving advice. It just creates confusion, and confusion is not illusion!

It appears, IMHO, that he is trying to describe Karrell Fox's concept, but, doesn't quite grasp Karrell's premise.

NEMO DAT QUOD NON HABET!!! (No one gives what he does not have!!!)

It's also fairly evident that he has ENTHUSIASM! I checked out his profile! -- He joined the Café May 15, and has made 24 posts already! If I have time today, I may check out what he said on those posts.

Posted: May 18, 2015 02:20 pm
I had some time, and I did check out all 24 of Mr. Secure's posts.

They are all quite similar. Long 'loose' sentences, with almost no punctuation, and very hard to read.

I got the impression that he is trying to make 50 posts within a week.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Actually consider yourself lucky. Now you know what not to do.
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
Thanks for just putting me out there like that I don't care about that 50 posts maybe such a judgment place is not for me
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
My routine for the Sucker Silk to Egg is now available on a new DVD or as a Downloadable Video:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p74/NEW%2......deo.html
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 17, 2015, magicsecure wrote:
crack the egg open heck crack the egg open into a dove pan and so on

If you crack the egg in a dove pan, they cannot see the raw egg. That is the "magic moment", and do so would kill the surprise.

Use a small bowl or glass, for visual effect.

Magic is visual.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup!
mjanes
View Profile
New user
Gig Harbor, WA
66 Posts

Profile of mjanes
I have used Pop Haydn's version as an opener for years, to gratifying response. It is self-evident to any thinking person that a switch occurs, whether or not anyone vocalizes it. Seems to me the important element is not their thinking, but the conundrum in which it results, and the moment of being confounded as to "how" .... Magic!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If you present a trick so that it is ENTERTAINING, and they are laughing, AND, if your tempo is right, they don't have time or opportunity to interrupt!

Look at Pop Haydn's routine! Look at Michael Ammar's routine!

I suspect that the OP's routine is over complicated, and, perhaps is received as a challenge by the audience.

KIS MIF!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Dick is right on. I have to put places in my routines for the spectators to heckle or react--things like the pixie dust joke in my Mongolian Pop Knot--or the spectators won't feel they have much interaction. When there aren't any gaps in the following of the point of focus, the audience is carried along and is too engaged to heckle.

The pitchmen all know it. You have to "grab the audience by their attention" and never let go...

Some of the best pitchmen even "reward" the attentive with little throw away dirty jokes that only those who are paying attention will get. It makes them feel superior, and puts them in a "special relationship" with the pitchman; they think most of these "suckers" don't even get his jokes, and they begin to side with the pitchman...

Pitchmen have a verbatim script memorized until it becomes part of their DNA. Magicians would benefit by doing the same thing. It has great power.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Silk to Egg is a wonderful routine good for any size audience. the last time I did it was in Wednesday nights show for 880 people (I think). I use it table hopping too!

Don't forget that Pop has a great video available on Silk to Egg.

Get it!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, Bob! Back to School Sale only lasts until midnight, Monday! (15% Off until Sept 7th)

cowboy5
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
Silk to Egg has several presentations. Watch as many as you can. Find the best fit for your style. The cracked egg at the end is what we call the "Element of Surprise" as Pop Haydn would say. It's a necessary part of the presentation to validate the "Magic moment". Viking makes a nice set of Eggs and Silks and I recommend getting the un-gimmicked egg to practice the Bobo switch. With today's technology use Video to capture your technique. A mirror image cannot be paused or reviewed.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Cowboy...It's not necessary to do a BOBO SWITCH, or any kind of switch to do the egg trick. In my routine, (a variation of Karrell Fox's, which I mentioned in one of my first posts about the egg trick, above) the egg that they "see" me poke the silk into, is the egg that I break into a glass.

I have tried all, or at least most of the "eggs" that have been offered in the past 65 years. The absolute worst one was the "ZIMMER EGG". --You can't get a 12" silk into the feke! I had a brass (Conley) feke about 1949. Pfui! It was more bother setting it than it was worth.

Incidentally, my pal J.B. Bobo's name is "attached" to a move with coins. Doing a "Bobo" with an egg is a move I would like to see! Why are you buying an "ungimmicked egg to practice a Bobo switch with? (Ha! I did a "Charlie Millerl"!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Dick, my routine is based on the Sucker Silk to Egg by Rice, and it does use a sort of Bobo Switch. The gimmicked egg and the real egg are both held in the right hand, and after the silk is poked all the way into the the egg, the hand is turned and the hidden real egg is dropped. It is very clean and motivated. I use a square 24" silk.

I'd like to know which two chambered gimmicked egg you are using. I have never found one that I liked.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Great routine!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
cowboy5
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
Dick: You say it is not necessary to do a "Bobo Switch" and that may be true. As I said there are many routines one can practice and I happen to like Pop Haydn's.The reason for the ungimmicked egg is during my hours of practice I can avoid the mess of a cracked egg in my pocket. Once my muscle memory and technique are ready, then I handle the real egg. I've watched several Professionals do this routine and some of the moves, switches, and reveals were very poor. Palming, Silk cover, and limiting angles are the skills required. I've heard this too "I've done this trick for 30 years" yet it is done poorly. As Pop said it is a "Bobo like" move that works! Watch Pop's presentation "Teaching Act part One". Better yet buy his download at his website!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
COWBOY~~~!

I plead ignorance! (I'm 84 in two weeks) and a mild attack of senile dementia!

Who am I, and what am I doing here?

I misunderstood your comment. (Cold type!)

Yup, as a teenager, I busted a couple hen fruit, too.

Pop's explanation, and, now yours, clarified it for me. And, watching his routine, made it even "clearER' (is THAT a word??) hee hee

PM me, if you like, and, I'll fill you in on what I'm doing. It's a combination of Karrell's routine, and a little bit of mine.

Being retired from "50" years on the road, I am not working every day, so I eat more eggs than do tricks with them!!!

O
cowboy5
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
Thanks Dick. I'm a Karrell Fox fan also. He was "Outstanding in his Field". Have his book somewhere in my house. Coin thru silk was the first trick I saw you do. Sometime early 1980's.Glad you took the time to understand a different method.I see you've been on the lecture tour and have a book available. Thanks for passing on some of your thoughts and ideas to the next generation of Magicians.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » YOU SWITCHED IT! silk to egg response (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL