The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » YOU SWITCHED IT! silk to egg response (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Atte
View Profile
New user
Finland
33 Posts

Profile of Atte
Not exactly replying to the original question, but I use my suitcase instead of a pocket to switch the eggs. Probably not as powerful as using a pocket but at least you don't have to worry about cracking an egg accidentally mid-show. A bigger reason for using the suitcase is the small size of my pockets, but I have never had any problems with the suitcase switch. The silk still "teleports" to my back pocket.
Human being, magician, student and squash player. Order may vary depending on the situation, but usually first in the list is "human being".
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Kuinka Semena ATTE!

Yes, after a couple "accidents" (years ago) I, too, have used my prop case to do the "work". No one has ever "challenged" the "prop case" method!

WHIT HAYDN! Sorry I'm late responding to your question!

I used that metal gaffed egg for about a year, in the early '50s, because Navy uniforms had no practical pockets! I didn't like it! (12" silk was a tight fit!). It was messy to set, too.

Recently, someone gifted me with a ZIMMER EGG. YUK! (12" silk--barely!)

When I first saw the trick performed about 1939, I was 8. "Keystone" the magician performed it at a church family night. His routine was much different than the Tarbell.

Stuart Ross, my first mentor, taught me the Tarbell routine. I used Tarbell for years.

When Karrell Fox printed his idea in one of his books, I LIKED IT! (I adapted it slightly to fit the routine that I had developed. --a variation of Keystone's.)

I do the sw*tch in my prop case. If this is of interest to you, I'll PM you with details.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Would love to have the details! Thanks, Dick!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Would still love to get those details, Dick! Smile

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! Somehow, I never got back!

I haven't done it for few years, but, I should be able to reconstruct it. I'll PM you when I get my wrinkled 86, almost 87 year old brain, in gear!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Almost three years. That's funny. I got this image of Pop waiting patiently that whole time. Smile

I'd be interested in the details as well, Dick if you don't mind sending them my way.

Thanks to you both.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I just found an empty chair and took a nap...

Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Pop needs to get his pocket openings enlarged so his hands can go out and in easier. I don't like how he turns sideways to ditch the egg. But, hey he makes money in the Magic Circuit. He has always been very polite to me.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2018, Bairefoot wrote:
Pop needs to get his pocket openings enlarged so his hands can go out and in easier. I don't like how he turns sideways to ditch the egg. But, hey he makes money in the Magic Circuit. He has always been very polite to me.

If you don't like it, that is fine, no need to express your thoughts to a working full established time professional. That is like telling a singer you don't like their song. So, a million others do like it.

Really don't get why you posted that comment. What was the point?

Penn Gillette had the same problem in their spot at the finish of the show for an effect, on Fool Us. Did you contact him to tell him, his hand should never get stuck in his pocket, it is time for a new suit.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
With such a good response from members, what ever happened to the original poster of this topic "trickychaz".

Would like to hear some of his new experiences, he could share on the topic.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
You are right Bill. I was just sharing what Michael Ammar taught me about having loads in my pockets so that my hand could go easier in and out of my pockets He has a great routine. I was only trying to help him notice something if he had never been told about it. I just thought being a working full established time professional he would like to know. I should have sent him a private message. Thank you.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Also, about Penn Gillette I didn't see what you are talking about. But, I am sure others talked about it. if it was that bad. Kinda like people talking about the riffle force that they see on TV and saying how it should be done. Again I didn't mean anything only talking about what I had seen. I should have sent him a PM.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, Michael! Actually, there is no problem with the pockets. There are topits on both sides of my coat with eight-inch slit openings into them from the sides. The problem in this situation was working in three-quarter round with cameras at both far sides. It made it difficult to work so that everyone could see, and not flash. Video cameras can introduce angle problems. I never turn away from the audience--there is audience all around. But thanks for your comments. I do appreciate any suggestions that are helpful.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks Pop. I was just trying to help. I normally have to pay for information like that. You are a great mind and the magic community needs people like you in it. Now get me rebook at the Castle. LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » YOU SWITCHED IT! silk to egg response (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL