The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ken Weber: Maximum Entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
KWEBER
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of KWEBER
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the kind things that have been said.

For those of you who are still undecided about the book, you can read other opinions here on the Magic Café (Search for "Ken Weber" or "Maximum Entertainment") or over in the geniimagazine.com forum where some of the most interesting comments are buried in the Mentalism section under the topic "Weber is Telling All!"

As of now, the only review in print that I know of is in the February Genii, where Eric Mead wrote some things that made even me blush (and I have a pretty healthy ego!). But some people have alluded to other reviews. Anyone know where I might find these?

Thanks.

Ken Weber
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Ken,

Aside from the rave reviews found on the Magic Café threads and in the recent Genii Magazine issue, I don't know of any other reviews (except for the dealer reviews, but do they really count?).

I look forward to purchasing my copy next weekend and to learning form this thought-filled (and experience-filled) material.

All the best.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
To all:

Your very next book should NOT be another book on tricks.

It should be Ken's "Maximum Entertainment". As has been said many times before, it will be the most important book on your shelf if you actually intend to perform and entertain.

Ken's book is a gift at any price!

Ted (Leondo)
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
3036 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Received my copy a few days ago. WOW! Very easy to read, and I whole hearily agree with Ted (leondo) above. This is a book you will want to sit down and take notes with. If your desire is to improve your presentational skills from top to bottom, this IS the RESOURCE. No stone is left unturned.

Mr. Weber even discusses the appropriateness of buttoning your suit jacket and when to unbutton it. The Introduction alone is insightful and just fuels the flame to dig into the book. This is one Magical Resource I wish every performer and hobbyist would buy and put into practice. We would all benfit from it.

David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
EspDuo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of EspDuo
"Maximum Entertainment" is an absolutely wonderful book! A book that's very necessary for folks like us who have to put on that director's cap and really put our performances under a microscope. It's not always easy to do and sometimes the job can be so overwhelming that it's difficult to even know where to begin.

Mr. Weber really breaks it up into easy-to-understand and easy-to-apply chapters. His use of well-known acts of today also helps to visualize the points and issues that he's discussing. It also shows that even the working pros, the people that some of us may look up to in the business can always better themselves too, which helps when taking that long, hard look at what you've created.

I think it's a necessary book for anyone that, not only wants to create a show, but that already has a show.

Larry and I have been reading this book together and it's been tremendously helpful because we can comment on certain points which helps for a better understanding. In that, I think it's a book that ALL members of the show: magicians, assistants, partners should read and discuss. It's important that all performers know how to pick their show apart, or at least their performance, in order to improve it.

The best thing about "Maximum Entertainment" is Mr. Weber really motivates you to take that long, hard look at your show.

Not only is this book very highly recommended, I'd have to agree with Leondo that this should be the very next book that you purchase.

Raven
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
OK, I'm convinced. I've ordered my copy from Hank Lee's and will dive in as soon as it arrives. It sounds like I'm in for a real treat. Thanks to ya'll for posting your comments.
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
This is a very very good book. Mr. Weber is to be congratulated and I hope this book sees great success for him.
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1110 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Check out Mike Close's review in the new Magic.

In summary, he says, "Buy it."
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I bought it Bob.

Great forward!

I can't wait to start reading the rest of it.

All the best.

Many thanks for everybody's thoughtful reviews on this thread.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6684 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
This is a "must have" book for anyone that considers entertainment a serious thing in their life. Buy this book, read it then read it again the put stuff into practice and continue reading it throughout your career.

It is not a coincidence that many of the performers who have had a solid career for many, many years are endorsing this book and saying they too learn from it.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I just got the book today.

I have been reading it the entire afternoon. I think the book is FUNDAMENTAL for any serious performer.

Weber’s concept of entertainment can’t be more simple and at the same time, more accurated. Over that base, Weber constructs a great and absolutely usefull book.

I found very interesting his thoughts about mentalism and disclaimers.

This book makes me remember a lot to Henning Nielm’s “Magic and showmanship”. Some times amazes me the fact that for every thousand books teaching you how to do tricks, there are just one helping you to perform magic.

This is one of those.
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
I got the book last weekend, and I am already on my second reading! I think it is fantastic. I did have some difficulty with the part on voice and wording. I thought it was a bit too dry, but it could just be that this is one of my main problem areas.

I will also say that you should be careful after reading this book as you will never view another performance (somebody else's) the same. I went to watch a band play the other night, and I had to watch myself because I began to pick the performance apart in my mind! I hope that I have that ability when I view and critique my own show!

The book is "Gold, Jerry, Gold."
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
THe book is great! One of the best books I have read in a long time. It really got me excited about improving my show. I think this book is a must have for any performer.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I finished this book last night, and it was one of the most enjoyable magic books I've read in a long time. The writing is clear and interesting, the points thought-provoking, and the content is well-organized.

Immediately after finishing, I was tempted to turn back to page 1 and start all over again. (This time, with a pen in hand for marking up the pages, as Weber suggests in the start.)

Seriously, the enthusiastic reviews about this book aren't just hype, it's really interesting, and useful. I only wish it included more specific examples from common performances (like TV specials) so I could better learn from specific application of the principles.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3066 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Add my voice to the cheers of acclaim for this invaluable book. Thank you, Ken, for writing it.

Suggestion for a subsequent edition or a new project entirely: include a DVD of professional performances with an optional commentary soundtrack provided by you (possibly while talking with the performer himself).

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Bob T.
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bob T.
One of the best buys you can get in magic. Has really made me rethink about my magic and how to improve it for the audience.
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Well, it's 4 AM and I have to be to work in...sigh...not long enough.

Was up all night reading a book I just couldn't put down.

Yup, you guessed it...Maximum Entertainment.

I must admit, I haven't performed for awhile as my job has been demanding too much of my time. But, as I've turned in my two weeks notice to search for a less time-consuming occupation while I hone and chisel away at my routines, this book was the PERFECT thing to read. Motivate me to get off my butt and do it and, as or more importantly, GET OFF MY BUTT AND DO IT RIGHT.

Covering pretty much everthing I could imagine needed covering, from clothes to routines to sound/lighting to after-show habits. It's a solid, strong book with the bonuses of being interesting and fun to read.

A thousand stars to Ken! You've done us all a great service!

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
KWEBER
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of KWEBER
Wow.

When I started the lonely process of putting my thoughts into a book, I had hoped a few performers would "get" my message. I love this craft, and my goal was to provide a truly practical guide for raising the level of all mystery arts performers. Now that the reviews are pouring in, via magazine reviews, forum postings (as we've seen above), or in private messages to me (my email address is in the book), I am overwhelmed, gratified and humbled. People are saying things that go beyond anything I could have hoped for.

My main regret right now is that I don't have the time to respond to each person individually. On the other hand, some folks have suggested that I consider doing lectures, and that is something I will be looking at in the future.

Again, thanks for all the kind sentiments that have been expressed. Please know they are deeply appreciated.
Ken Weber
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Ken, I don't know if you'll get a chance to respond to this or not, but I am curious...

Why were some performers named during a critique of their routine and others not? Just curious. Smile

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Ken,

PLEASE keep us posted about any possible lecture.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Ken Weber: Maximum Entertainment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL