We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley 1969 Toth Tarot Cards (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gregor Von G.
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Gregor Von G.
Hi
I'm pleased to share my joy having found in a 2nd hand shop a deck of Crowley's Toth Tarot same as
http://www.gothicroseantiques.com/Origin......rds.html
But it greater conditions...

The 1969 Tarots are the first released since Crowley designed them with the wonderful illustrations by Lady Frieda Harris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoth_tarot_deck
In the deck there's a card which certificate the tarot has been produced bi OTO in 1969.

I am working on some routines based on this particular deck, studying the book of Toth and other Crowley's "liber", which I already did years ago.
Anyone out there know or have this wonderful Tarots?
Anyone out there know some Crowley based bizarre or mental magic books or props?
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
757 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Nice find! Definitely worthy of a routine.
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
I have this Deck and I also have a lot of literature about it.
This will probably not help many here, but for the once that speak german,
I would like to recommend the Books by Akron about this Tarot.

"Akrons Crowley Tarot Führer" is a very good book about Tarot in general and the Crowley Tarot in detail. Akron is quite a nice guy too and has a lot of other things he made which would be of interest for this community. The Board Game Akronacle is quite a modern Form of a devination game, yes yes okkultism also did move foreward since the late 1850s.

Also for those who like special Tarot decks, Akron made his own:
http://www.shop-akron.com/tarot/31-der-a......212.html

And another one with his good (late) friend HR Giger:
http://www.shop-akron.com/tarot/28-bapho......150.html

When it comes to Crowley, people tend to draw a very dark picture, but from reading his works I would like to point to his refined sense of
humor. Crowley did a few things just for the bizzare joke, he wrote funny essays and made constantly fun of almost everything around him.
Gregor Von G.
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Gregor Von G.
If you read "Magick" or "Liber 777" you discover the vast Crowley's knoweledge about religions and philosophies and how he spent time on doing comparative studies on it.
He was the first to bring Yoga in occident and he also was a good novel writer.
The dark mithology around him, I think, was fed by himself, creating a myth aurea around him, it was self promotion...money is always hard to find!
But a good bizarre routine must take consideration of the dark mythology, I think...

I also find very interesting his Thelema phylosophy, based on Hinduism and the alternations of Visnu avatars, according to Crowley we now live in a sort of Kali Yuga or "the age of quarrel and strife", the Eon of Horus (described in "Book of the Law") a sort of end of time by violence and greed,where most of humans die, after which there will be a period of rebirth and splendor lead by the survived...The link with actual hystoric period is quite impressive.. don't?
But it's a very complex philosophy and I suggest everyone who is curious about to investigate, it's very very ispirational stuff for us...
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
The Thelema Topic can be found in the OTO today. Actually, this maybe of interest here too, the OTO will let guests visit there Base Ritual (the gnostic Mess) and you can even become a Minerval without becoming a real member of the OTO.

The Rituals of the OTO are strongly based on the Rituals of Freemasonry (mainly the blue degrees but Crowley also used the important Royal Arch and the fairly unknown Royal ARK (sic!) Degree in the OTO Structure. Symbolisms is different, but the Overall Topics and the revealed Words and Secrets are alike.
Quite interesting Reads from Crowley are his essays like B E R A S H I T H AN ESSAY IN ONTOLOGY

But, for all who are interested in this, Magick has moved on since Crowley and so has the OTO and so have other Societies. At the moment there are more and other societys active like the IOT where you can find highly creative People.
Gregor Von G.
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Gregor Von G.
Personally I am more interested in historical an phylosophical part of Golden Dawn, OTO etc...
When I was younger (20 years ago, when I was 16) I was much more interested in experimental aspects of Magick, practicing some stuff, experimenting, making sigils in AOS way etc.. but soon I arrived to some personal consideration that made me shift attention to a more "narrative" exploiting of the subject.

Despite this I think that the knowledge of these materials and the understanding of them undoubtedly lead to a kind of personal growth, like the study of politics and religion in general does.
Especially what Crowley called "True Will" (and how to become aware of it), in today's world, where we born influenced by stereotypes and standardized thoughts seems a very healthy concept!

Currently, the peolple around OTO, Crowley etc, seems to me very attached to a target audience of teenagers, metal kids and stuff, so I prefer to focus on the good times that were, and seek inspiration from characters and events from '800 up to the Seventies of the 900 (LaVey) to create such stories and routines to be included in a Bizarre frame.
(Sorry for my messy english, I am Italian)

It will be interesting create a complete series of routines on this. I'll give a try.

For who loves music I suggest the band Current 93
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_93
http://www.discogs.com/artist/33801-Current-93
http://www.davidtibet.com/
Great atmospheres, lirycs and music, their first works are based on Crowley,
their later are based on British folklore, religions and literature.
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
If you are interested in further chat on this topic, I do have, lets say a little bit of inside Information on various groups in existance today.
I do know lots of people from the OTO crowd here in Berlin but also from other groups.

A series of routines based on this "real" magick would be interesting to me since it meets my interests.

By the way, the one book where the concept of "True Will" is described really well is Michael Ende "The never Ending Story". The whole book
is about exactly this and the Lion Graograman explains this well.
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
Maybe you will find Inspiration in this book (or in the Books by the same Author):

DuQuette, Lon Milo: My Life With the Spirits: The Adventures of a Modern Magician, Weiser Books, 1999.

Very helpful in understanding Kabbala as used by Occultists (and not only that, it gives you a head on start to read Lurias work as well):

DuQuette, Lon Milo: The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist, Weiser Books, 2001.

Both books are incredibly funny to read. The first one includes a lot of Magick that Lon Milo DuQuette has done and should give good advice for creating magic routines.

I have met Lon Milo DuQuette a couple of times and he is an intersting and nice man. He makes musik too.
Uninvited
View Profile
New user
Chicago
64 Posts

Profile of Uninvited
I believe there is a deck of this set available on the Alchemy Moon Flea. Scroll down the page if interested.

http://www.alchemymoon.com/#!bizarre-flea-market/c1gcx
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
I have Larry Baukin's "Book of Aleister Crowley" in my library. It is fun, old-school bizarre magic. Fun, but a bit dated. Others whose work I have that reference Crowley are Jim Magus (Magus Video), something in Psychological Subtleties III, and Peter Marucci.

I am a life-long student of Crowley's work, though at this time in my life my interest is merely scholarly (not like my youth). I was preparing a monograph at one point with quotes and anecdotes that show his awareness of mentalist & stage magic principles.

A few of my favorite Crowley quotes on Tarot, and the subjectivity & verbal elasticity of giving readings:

"The 78 symbols of the Tarot are admirably balanced and combined. They are adequate to all demands made upon them; each symbol is not only mathematically precise, but possesses an artistic significance which helps the diviner to understand them by stimulating his aesthetic perceptions..."

"We postulate that it is possible to construct a compendium of hieroglyphs sufficiently elastic in meaning to include every possible idea, and that one or more of these may always be taken to represent any idea. We assume that any of these hieroglyphics will be understood by the intelligences with whom we wish to communicate in the same sense as it is by ourselves..."
Gregor Von G.
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Gregor Von G.
Uninvited,
Is similar.
The back seems the same, the front is a little different, the original 1969 is cased in a box.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley 1969 Toth Tarot Cards (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL