The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Checkout Chi! (Pay the bill with your mind!) Ben Harris (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Cardguy52
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Cardguy52
I guess that's the only way he can make his products available now.

But $20 for a pdf of an effect that may or may not work in your country. No thanks.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9155 Posts

Profile of pegasus
And remember. No refunds. You're buying the secret. Smile
professorwho
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of professorwho
If this works like I think it dies there is an upper limit to the bill you can pay. It would be £20 in my case.
I love sponges
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2015, professorwho wrote:
If this works like I think it dies there is an upper limit to the bill you can pay. It would be £20 in my case.

Clever Smile

The limit (in the UK anyway) is going to be increased.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
bungomungo
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of bungomungo
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2015, professorwho wrote:
If this works like I think it dies there is an upper limit to the bill you can pay. It would be £20 in my case.


Surely even Harris wouldn't have the nerve to put out an effect where touch and go/contactless payment is the solution?
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Most methods are disappointing.

It's the context, framing and performance skills that contribute to the overall effect.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3772 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This is one of those pointless effects, are you going to do this in a show? No!! Are you going to use this table hopping? No!! Are you going to do this strolling? No!! Are you going to do this down the pub for your mates? Unlikely!! The sole purpose of this is to impress a shopkeeper. In that situation you may as well do a $100 bill switch and pay with the large note.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4374 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2015, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
This is one of those pointless effects, are you going to do this in a show? No!! Are you going to use this table hopping? No!! Are you going to do this strolling? No!! Are you going to do this down the pub for your mates? Unlikely!! The sole purpose of this is to impress a shopkeeper. In that situation you may as well do a $100 bill switch and pay with the large note.

Mark


Bang on Mark could not put it better myself Troy or someone lucky enough to have their own TV show well yeh,so pointless really.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1131 Posts

Profile of Chris
As the description clearly states, this technology may not yet be available in your region. But if you know how it works you will be ahead of the curve and you will be able to look out for its introduction in your location. And then you are ready to go.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2330 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, pegasus wrote:
I need this like a hole in the head.

THIS is the winning post!
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2015, Chris wrote:

As the description clearly states, this technology may not yet be available in your region.


Mentioned only on your site but not on wowbound.com

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4909 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It's a very transparent method in play here IMO . Adding to that the only one person you can impress is the cashier plus the fact her job involves using this technology all day she is the most likely to know exactly what's going on . A gag at most and very limited from having a proper audience to perform to .
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of drjohn
So I'm confused? were buying a document to learn how to palm a credit card and wave it over a contactless payment system when the barstaff are not looking?.........now if this post is deleted for revealing a METHOD. Then things have reached a sorry state in magic when something so blatantly obvious do any magician with half a brain.

Seriously? this is being released?..........I did this within ten minutes of knowing about contactless payment............ Why is it in magic EVERY single brain fart that comes out of a magicians head needs to be charged for? don't get me wrong but I think sometimes magicians need to THINK about what they are releasing.

Now if this method means at NO POINT do you go anywhere near the machine (and Im not talking about misdirection) then MAYBE its worth a £2 download but even so this saddens me to think we jhave been reduced to releasing **** like this to a trick hungry audience who will buy anything if they feel it will be the miracle that makes there reputation.

I also have an issue with something being released that can be explained in two sentences....very sad indeed
May your darkness come quickly
WOW BOUND
View Profile
New user
The Antipodes
13 Posts

Profile of WOW BOUND
We have just looked over the discussion here at The Café and would like to make the following points:

1. The effect is situational, that should be clear from the ad copy. We cannot see where it was suggested that this effect was good for regular shows. So, why is anyone even suggesting this?

2. Obviously, the FIRST method any creator will be throwing out is “palming a credit card.” Perform this as naked as the venue allows you to do. Even at a pool bar in swim trunks, or the nudist camp with no apparel and you having been naked and swimming all day!

3. Imagine that Bill (from the ad copy) is Billy Bagster, CEO of XXXX Hamburger Chain. You’ve been negotiating a deal to put a Magic BurgerMan in all 38 of his outlets. The six figure deal is almost done, but Bill is hungry and offers you a bite at his flagship joint. You can see the effect Checkout Chi will have under THESE circumstances. Bill will be SERIOUSLY impressed. HIS re-telling will spread through the upper ranks of management like wildfire!

No one is trying to impress the check-out chick as someone on this board suggested.

Situational Magic has it’s place, it’s time. That’s WHAT makes it special. The event is lifted up and out of the norm, into the realm of astonishment.

We hope that these points clarify.


The Wowbound Team
WOWBOUND.COM
Publishing fine magician's books on both paper, and electronically, since 1980.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3772 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, WOW BOUND wrote:
No one is trying to impress the check-out chick as someone on this board suggested.

The ad copy did indeed suggest we were trying to impress Bill (a Buddy from work) and Ci Ci the "check out chick", only now has Bill suddenly become a fast food magnate that just needs to see a checkout trick to seal a 6 figure deal.

3 is a very specific circumstance that I have to say I have never experienced in 30 plus years and I doubt many (if any) on these forums have ever, or will ever experience. Realistically 99% of the people on these forums are hobbyists and the working pro's on here would be more likely to be trying to put themselves in one or more restaurants for a few hundred dollars per night rather than some 6 figure deal. Likewise those pro's probably have a marketing strategy and a solid sales pitch that doesn't involve hoping the booker will take them to dinner and leave his wallet in the car.

And if Bill has got to the point of taking you to dinner then you've already impressed him enough. In 10 years of working restaurants (mostly in the West End of London) I was never in a position where I needed a stunt like this to seal the deal.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1076 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, WOW BOUND wrote:

3. Imagine that Bill (from the ad copy) is Billy Bagster, CEO of XXXX Hamburger Chain. You’ve been negotiating a deal to put a Magic BurgerMan in all 38 of his outlets. The six figure deal is almost done, but Bill is hungry and offers you a bite at his flagship joint. You can see the effect Checkout Chi will have under THESE circumstances. Bill will be SERIOUSLY impressed. HIS re-telling will spread through the upper ranks of management like wildfire!

The Wowbound Team


Sorry in this type of hypothetical situation, if the CEO Bill was hungry and invited you to lunch at his restaurant, he will almost without a doubt treat the magician to lunch.

But I can see using this to impress your date or buddies.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, WOW BOUND wrote:
3. Imagine that Bill (from the ad copy) is Billy Bagster, CEO of XXXX Hamburger Chain. You’ve been negotiating a deal to put a Magic BurgerMan in all 38 of his outlets. The six figure deal is almost done, but Bill is hungry and offers you a bite at his flagship joint. You can see the effect Checkout Chi will have under THESE circumstances. Bill will be SERIOUSLY impressed. HIS re-telling will spread through the upper ranks of management like wildfire!

No one is trying to impress the check-out chick as someone on this board suggested.

Situational Magic has it’s place, it’s time. That’s WHAT makes it special. The event is lifted up and out of the norm, into the realm of astonishment.

We hope that these points clarify.


The Wowbound Team


LOL Just when has this situation happened to you? When has anything remotely like this happened to anyone? It's laughable.

And oh yeah, "Wowbound Team", I'm still waiting for updates on what was sold as the BackStory installments that I paid for and that you promised to deliver regularly but have not for nearly two years.

I suggest steering clear from Wowbound.
bungomungo
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of bungomungo
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, WOW BOUND wrote:
We have just looked over the discussion here at The Café and would like to make the following points:

1. The effect is situational, that should be clear from the ad copy. We cannot see where it was suggested that this effect was good for regular shows. So, why is anyone even suggesting this?

2. Obviously, the FIRST method any creator will be throwing out is “palming a credit card.” Perform this as naked as the venue allows you to do. Even at a pool bar in swim trunks, or the nudist camp with no apparel and you having been naked and swimming all day!

3. Imagine that Bill (from the ad copy) is Billy Bagster, CEO of XXXX Hamburger Chain. You’ve been negotiating a deal to put a Magic BurgerMan in all 38 of his outlets. The six figure deal is almost done, but Bill is hungry and offers you a bite at his flagship joint. You can see the effect Checkout Chi will have under THESE circumstances. Bill will be SERIOUSLY impressed. HIS re-telling will spread through the upper ranks of management like wildfire!

No one is trying to impress the check-out chick as someone on this board suggested.

Situational Magic has it’s place, it’s time. That’s WHAT makes it special. The event is lifted up and out of the norm, into the realm of astonishment.

We hope that these points clarify.


The Wowbound Team


Great at marketing, good at misleading ad copy, not so good at delivering what you promise. Sadly your history of burning people means I'll certainly give this a wide berth.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1131 Posts

Profile of Chris
I don't really understand the hostility. It is pretty clear from the product description that this is an effect that can only be performed in certain situations. But it has the potential to create your reputation. Think about Max Malini who strategically placed cards face down on the street to later 'accidentally' find them while in company and then mentally discern which card it is. It is a great effect that can make or cement your reputation, but it has various performance limitations. For example, you can't perform it on stage, or for large groups of people, etc. If such effects built Max Malini's reputation I would think it could help you, too.

A similar situation is here with Checkout Chi. It is an effect that when used sparingly in the right situation can kill and build your reputation as miracle worker. It is silly to assume and claim that it is anything different as most of the hostile posts here try to make it sound.

As an experienced magician I know how 95% of the tricks are done merely reading the product description. However, my experience has been that I would be missing a lot of the details the creator has included if I stop there. If you think you know how this works, good for you. But I am also pretty sure that you would be missing a couple of the things that Ben has figured out that makes it a lot better. Either way, the description should allow you to decide if this is something you would perform or not. If not then obviously this is not for you and you should not buy it. If this type of effect interests you, then you should get it even if you think you know the basic modus operandi. A lot of the value is contained in the bits of business of how to perform it as well as the technical details.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
904 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, Chris wrote:
Think about Max Malini who strategically placed cards face down on the street to later 'accidentally' find them while in company and then mentally discern which card it is. It is a great effect that can make or cement your reputation, but it has various performance limitations.


If Malini was alive today, do you think he would release an Ebook on this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Checkout Chi! (Pay the bill with your mind!) Ben Harris (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL