The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Gig (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

_Trickstar_
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of _Trickstar_
I've been booked for a wedding anniversary to do strolling magic in a pub, my question is what should I do when I arrive?
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Start to sweat
Start to shake
Become tongue tied
This is what you'll do when you arrive at your first gig. But seriously, walk in and locate the person who hired you and take it from there. Your engagement will fly by. Once you get back into your car you will immediately start to reflect on the good and the bad and be 10x better at gig number 2.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Be ready to hit the ground running. you might walk in in and speak to your contact and there say go for it me first.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I usually try to arrive about 30 minutes early. It gives me a chance to meet my contact and scope out the venue, especially if this is the first time there. I try to plan my route depending on the layout of the room and where all the spectators are at. I do another once over in the bathroom. I like to make sure I have all my props and I look presentable. After all that If I have a few minutes before my actually gig. I'll warm up with a few easy effects with random spectators.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I've got a similar gig coming up in a few months. It will be the closest thing I've done to a real gig. It's a wedding reception in a pub for maybe 40 or 50 people (no kids). I know the couple getting married (went to high school with one of them), but we're not very close friends. They hired me to do walk around magic for a few hours, and I told them that I would do it for free if I can eat and drink for free when I'm done. It should be good experience for me. I have a few good friends who are going, so it should be fun.

Just trying to figure out what tricks I want to do.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, AdamChance wrote:
I've got a similar gig coming up in a few months. It will be the closest thing I've done to a real gig. It's a wedding reception in a pub for maybe 40 or 50 people (no kids). I know the couple getting married (went to high school with one of them), but we're not very close friends. They hired me to do walk around magic for a few hours, and I told them that I would do it for free if I can eat and drink for free when I'm done. It should be good experience for me. I have a few good friends who are going, so it should be fun.

It's great you have a few good friends going, so you aren't going in "cold". Hopefully they are supportive to you and your performance. You say that they hired you to do magic "for a few hours". Is this time rather long for the number of people at the reception? Since you are performing at a pub, I would include a couple of bar "betchas" just for the fun of it.

Anyway, best wishes and good luck. You will do a great job!
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, LeoH wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, AdamChance wrote:

It's great you have a few good friends going, so you aren't going in "cold". Hopefully they are supportive to you and your performance. You say that they hired you to do magic "for a few hours". Is this time rather long for the number of people at the reception? Since you are performing at a pub, I would include a couple of bar "betchas" just for the fun of it.

Anyway, best wishes and good luck. You will do a great job!

Thanks for the well wishes. We haven't really discussed how long I will be performing for. I'm guessing there will be some speeches where I wont be doing any tricks while other people are talking. But I'm going to bring plenty of material since I know that there will not be too many people there and people might want to see magic all night.

I think I'll probably be doing around 1 or 2 hours where I'm really working the room. Then I'll probably be able to sit down and relax and have a few h'orderves and a beer. Then maybe try and work the room again. Then call it quits and just have a good time (and I'll show people some extra little tricks if they ask).

Anyways, I'm looking forward to it. It's not like I'm really getting paid, so I don't feel like there's a lot of pressure on me. And I haven't really been performing magic as much recently, and there's a lot of new material that I want to test out in the real world.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1171 Posts

Profile of Montana76
You'll do great!! Just remember to enjoy yourself!!
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Go with a mindset thinking AND believing this -

I am a magician. The people here would love magic and want to be entertain. I can do just that. This is my passion. These people NEED to see magic.

Sail towards the sunset, my friend. Do GREAT!
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Confidence is key!!!
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Focus less on your magic and more on your appearance and demeanor. Dress well, clean your nails, be charming and start conversations. Ask questions to the guest. See yourself as the wedding couples ambassador and think of it like it´s your own party. Make it your sole purpose to see to it that every guest have fun and have a great time.

Use magic as the tool and have a great time.

Remember to SMILE a lot, but only if you truly mean it. If you have great time, your guests will too!
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2553 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
If its in a pub get there atleast 2 hours early so you can get drunk off your butt. Then you will be ready. Na just kidding. Just getting there is half the work. When you start you will be fine.
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
If you have time, order The Approach from Jamie D Grant...it´s the best book out there for all those "non trick" questions.
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Stick to what you do best, I've been performing professionally for around 4/5 years and even though I've added in a bunch of complicated coins across routines, sponge bunnies, fork bending and mentalism routines into my repertoire, when it comes to performing at gigs I keep coming back to those same david blaine style card tricks that I learned off old ellusionst/penguin magic videos 10 years ago.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Make sure you are prepared to do a routine for the entire group. Always a chance the MC will introduce you with something like, "now we have some magic for everyone". Any of the, pack small, play big props - rope, egg bag, bill In lemon ...just in case.

Hudson
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2015, Chamberlain wrote:
Stick to what you do best, I've been performing professionally for around 4/5 years and even though I've added in a bunch of complicated coins across routines, sponge bunnies, fork bending and mentalism routines into my repertoire, when it comes to performing at gigs I keep coming back to those same david blaine style card tricks that I learned off old ellusionst/penguin magic videos 10 years ago.

That's because, simple is sometimes best. (It's also easy and clear for your spectators to watch, follow, interact with ad enjoy) Also, many of these effects you mention are very commercial and made for the real world. Well said
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, AndreJ wrote:
If you have time, order The Approach from Jamie D Grant...it´s the best book out there for all those "non trick" questions.

Thanks, AndreJ!! That is so kind!!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » First Gig (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL