The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fast and Loose game. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
How many of you have played with this game. I just got The Chain Gang, and really like it. It is a lot of fun and pretty easy to do. How many of you have some of the other stuff on this game? What would you recommend?

Thanks

Best,
Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Robert Blake's Loopy Loop Book, from Mickey Hades Productions.

Only full book I know of on the Subject.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I have both the the School for Scoundrels video and book on Fast and Loose, and they are both excellent. I especially liked Chef Anton's routine on the video.

Ron
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Bradley,

This is one of my pet effects. I don't know of tons of people doing this, so I think there is a chance that you can really make this "yours". It is fun, fast and portable. If you do a search on this topic, you will find some good thoughts, especially by people like BroDavid. A good piece of advice is to do this with real money, and to structure your routine so that you don't insult or challenge the volunteers. The idea is to really make them think they have a chance to win your money! You can tell them that they have to try to outsmart you, while you try to 'read' what they are going to do, and throw the chain accordingly.

I recommend School for Scoundrels Notes on Fast and Loose, as well as the Nickel Chain they sell. I got a good sense of the throw from DeSouza's Chain Gang video, but for some reason I don't get a great response from my audiences when I do his historical-based routine. I do my own routine, pieced together from work by Haydn, Anton, DeSouza, Blake, and Lenier. Here is a link to a comprehensive listing of Fast and Loose resources. Good luck!

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magchain.htm

Jay
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Could someone help me with a search on this subject. Thanks so much.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Brad,

What do you mean, you have more then enough information so far that will keep you busy. There is no free sites, that is why you must purchase a set. For the chain go to the hardware store and get chrome bead pull chain with a fastener. You will need about 40 or 50".

Here is School for Scoundrels website:
http://www.chefanton.com/entertain/SSFastandLoose.htm

Maybe it would help us if we knew what exactly you are looking for. Research material, equipment, old time stories, What?

Bill
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I have heard of this routine but have never heard what the actual effect, or scam is. Can somebody explain the effect for me.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Leeman, if you can read go to the sites mentioned. It is explained in English there.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
My advice is to learn this by going out and playing the game with people. Not for money but for fun. You will learn how they react and how you should react to them to make them more crazy then they already were.

Read the book from the School for Scoundrels.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

No, I already have Chain Gang - the video and chain. I looked for different threads on this subject bit only found one so far.

I did it for some people today and it went over pretty well, I think.

It is a nice change from magic tricks like cards or coins. I am going to try and get the SOS book and video. I think you can have a lot of fun with this routine.

Best brad
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Hello,

There is a lot of "fast and loose" type in Apocalypse! Just check this link to see which volume has what: http://magicref.tripod.com/books.htm

The book book Fast and Loose by School for Scoundrels is also excellent !

Nicolas
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2004-02-09 04:05, papawemba wrote:

The book book Fast and Loose by School for Scoundrels is also excellent !

I'd also recommend the School for Scoundrels chain. I bought one recently and was able to see it side by side with the one sold with Chaingang. The chaingang chain is fine and will get the job done, but the one that Whit and Chef Anton sell is just awesome. The chain link design is really pretty and the chain has some substantial weight to it. It's a really professional looking prop.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Dennis
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Dennis
Paul,

I agree 100% the SFS Chain is far superior to
ANY other chain I've used!

When I'm dressed I don't want to pull out something that should be hanging from a basement light, or worse yet something a person might see lifting the flap inside thier t-bowl!

...and I don't think a danity gold chain fits my persona - but that nice heavy nickle chain - that really fits!

Dennis
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
What I am working out right now is something along the lines of bringing out a piece of rope, about 4 1/2 feet long.

I start the routine by tying the ends together so it is a big loop. Then go into a fast and loose routine. From thier the rest of the routine goes on about the rope coming off because of the knot in the rope. While pattering I do a bunch of Knot magic.

Chris
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
I had known about the "Australian Belt" (Fast and Loose) for about 20 years. I loved the idea but it never came together for me as a commercial routine. A couple years ago, I came across the School for Scoundrels Notes on the Fast and Loose. There were a couple of things in that manuscipt that really opened up the old swindle for me. The routine I do is my own and it gets a great reaction. Now it's one of my favorites. As a matter of fact, that isn't a watch chain I'm wearing in my avatar picture.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Fast and Loose works well when throwing in patter based on a historical tour of betting games.

For me, bead chain never worked well as it has a tendency to roll all over the tabletop and just does not behave. I use a stainless steel chain with faceted links -- it is attractive, durable and it stays put.

My two cents: I think it is important to develop a presentation that does not lead to resentment on the spectator's part. No one likes to feel like a chump. (I hold a similar opinion about 3 Card Monte.)

The chain can be a fun and versatile interlude.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I just got The Chain Gang recently also as recommended by Denny of Denny & Lee @ http://www.dennymagic.com

I had called about the Nickel chain, etc. and Denny suggested that I start with The Chain Gang and see if it fit my personality first and then if I liked it step up to a GOOD chain and SOS notes, etc.

As usual, Denny was right and I have been very pleased. Will be contacting him again soon. Thanks, Denny.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

I also got Chain gang from him. Very quick and good service. I really like chain gang but I am trying to develop a nice routine with it, that has comedy and is fun to watch. I am thinking about getting the notes from SOS, just to see what they are about, because I really like the idea of F and L.

Brad
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I initally got the Chain Gang tape and chain and fell in love with it. In fact my current Avatar has the Fast and Loose Chain arround my neck. (Wish the photog guy would have told me that it was caught, instead of 3 nice loops...)

Any I do a routine that explains a bit of the history of gambling, especially the shakepeare line of "playing fast and loose with the devil" and then continue to tie it into the concept of Satan's promises and deceit.

The big chain is great for a lot of situations, including the double set up, but I find it too big for impromptu, so I picked up a cheap silver looking serpentine chain that is only about 2 feet total length, fits into a small pocket easily and I the "throw" as an in-hands manipulation that the chosen position is totally hidden and very deceptive. Then I lay the chain out on a very small surface, and the figure 8 is only about 8 incheds long and has a 3" by 3" (approx) opening on each side.

The in-hands handling is touched on in Mark DeSouza's Chain Gang tape. I have refined my handing of it, and with a simple turn of my hand, as I form the figure 8, I totally hide the positioning of the chain that is important.

The Nickle chain from Scoundrels is very nice, and the separately available knot makes an especially interesting option for the presentation.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I found a new product called: Mumbay Lucky Loops.
Looks similar to Fast and Loose, any comments?
http://www.gallo-magic.com/3.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fast and Loose game. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL