The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane (Need an answer quick please help!) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GRand
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of GRand
Hello all, I am looking to buy a balsa wood dancing cane. I have thus far failed to find one online, if you are aware of somewhere where I can buy one please comment with the URL. Thankyou
G. Rand
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22437 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Balsa wood cane have not been made since the 1970's, only 2nd hand models can be found sometimes.

I have one, PM me only if you are very serious about obtaining it.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
David Mann is now making a Balsa/Cork Dancing Cane. Click here to see it on his site.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Why must it be balsa if it works well? This is the lightest out there,under 2 oz, moreover it looks like a real cane, they won't be around much longer, check it out.
http://www.wack-o-magic.com/dancingcane.html
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1816 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Walt, I have two Wack-o-Magic canes, and they _are_ nice. However, as shown in the jpeg at this link
http://tinyurl.com/nx55489
the bottom of the cane is a little bent. Both of my Wack-o-Magic canes--one purchased directly from Wack-o-Magic's website and the other purchased from Stevens Magic--have that bent bottom flaw. The gold ring near the bottom of the cane might be a necessary part of the manufacturing process and may account for the flaw. Please note that I have never done the "kick move" with the cane to make it revolve. The bent tip is exactly the way the cane looked when it arrived in its special mailing/carrying tube which is where I store it. And the bent bottom section is obvious on the website video as well.

If you click forward on the Wack-o-Magic jpeg on the fb page you will see two other dancing canes from my collection--one a vintage 1950's or 1960's two-piece dancing cane that I bought from Bob McAllister--and one a custom-made dancing cane made from two "toy" Bat Masterson canes that were sold in toy stars when the Gene Barry "Bat Masterson" TV show was broadcast from 1959 to 1961. (As I explained in my Facebook post, it was a little tricky getting the Masterson cane balanced properly, but adding a few quarters to the inside of the secret compartment on the top of the cane remedied that problem.)

All that being said, I also like the Fantasio dancing/vanishing cane, although for that one too I had to make adjustments--discarding the fixed diameter gimmick that came with the Fantasio Dancing/Vanishing Cane and using an adjustable gimmick based on a Rob Allen gimmick published in _Linking Ring_. My full routine is written up in the June 2012 Linking Ring Parade, pages 71-75. It is the cane routine I use at the beginning of my act lip-synching to Joel Grey singing "Willkommen" from "Cabaret" as shown in this video:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=634......&theater

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Hi Amando, thanks for talking about your different canes. I seen actually dozens of Michael's canes I've helped him out at two convention booths and been to his workshop when they were being made. All of them were straight, I know there have been a few that did bend, probably because they were exposed to a lot of heat during shipping, like maybe a UPS truck out in the blazing sun. If you leave them in your car on a very hot day they can bend too. It's not the 'norm' for them. I don't know if the bend can be remedied or not, but Michael is great at talking to his customers and helping to problem solve if he can. I gave one of his returned ones, that had been too long in a hot truck, to a friend and he's never had a problem with the look on stage or with the working. I'll also pass along your post to Wack-O. Magically, Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
David Mann has some great ideas with the dancing cane get the video if you can.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dancing Cane (Need an answer quick please help!) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL