The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Question Re: Basic Pen and Coin Routine During Strolling Gigs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I have been playing around with a few extra effects recently at some gigs when certain groups and individuals have asked to see something else. One of the effects has been the very simple coin and pen routine, you know the one where you say your going to make the coin disappear, but the pen disappears instead. You then show that it is actually behind your ear, after which you make the coin really disappear.

Now as I said this has just been a little extra that I have added here and there, however it seems to get really good reactions which has made me think about actually using this as an opener.

So my questions to you guys are:

1 Have you ever used this as an opener

2 If so, how well has it played as an opener for you

3 Do you do it as above or do you stretch it out by adding any additional phases to the routine.

4 Are there any tips that you would be willing to share.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this and for sharing any thoughts

Thank You
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted a Pen Coin routine on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on November 23, 2003.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
583 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Yes it's a good routine. It gets really good reactions. I've done just the two phases.
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Plays over nicely, not to deceptive though. Champ by Rick Merrill is a excellent coin and pen routine.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks you for sharing your opinions and pointers.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I used to open with bag4life into a coin flurry, whilst not a pen and coin routine it's similiar in that it's a 'watch me work' opener that doesn't require interaction with the audience. I've since dropped that and prefer an opener where I get them engaged, whether it be handing them a sharpie and doing richard sanders remarkable, sponge bunnies or even just letting them inspect the bands for cmh. I think once you've establish yourself with that then later you can do a more visual sit back and watch style routine.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
Great routine.

1 Have you ever used this as an opener
Yes, but in modified form.
2 If so, how well has it played as an opener for you
Very well.
3 Do you do it as above or do you stretch it out by adding any additional phases to the routine.
Yes. A very easy routine to upscale (jumbo coin, jumbo pen) adapt ("show me a trick with this sweet/pebble/etc.).
4 Are there any tips that you would be willing to share.
Check out Rune Klan's work and Pencyclopedia by Matthew Wright and Tom Crosbie.
More interaction? try routining a coin switch in their hand or use as part of a sponge balls routine.

Charlie
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I have my own pen and coin routine which is made up of ideas from The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne, David Roth's Coinmagic and other ideas of my own. I never use this as my opener but more in the middle of a set when doing strolling magic. Because the routine has various parts to it, I can shorten or extend the routine to fit the situation. I have made it workable in situations when I am surrounded. Try different ideas using one coin without the pen or just the pen alone and see what you come up with yourself. Then combine the ideas if you can...good luck...Howard
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Chamberlain, puggo and drmagico for sharing your detailed and helpful thoughts and opinions. You all have some very good ideas and suggestions that have given me lots to think about. (And I Know That They Will Be Very Helpful)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Question Re: Basic Pen and Coin Routine During Strolling Gigs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL