The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "Do me a favor..." Worst line ever. (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
Why does so many magicians say "Do me a favor...(insert common audience interaction here)"

Why is picking a card a favor? For who is the magic happening, for the audience of for the magician?

I think the phrase "do me a favor" is just filler words.

What do you think?
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OK~ I'll "do you a favor", and say, "I agree!" (LOL)

KABBALAH!~ Where did "youse" get that video? Funny!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2959 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Those guys are annoying. Just sayin!
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It all depends on context.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
These things really only annoy magicians who watch a lot of magicians. Lines like "do me a favor" are simply every day speech and go unnoticed by a lay audience.

Unless you perform for magician's your audience will NEVER have heard these so called "hack" lines. The question is , does the line work for you in your act?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22771 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2015, AndreJ wrote:
Why does so many magicians say "Do me a favor...(insert common audience interaction here)"

Why is picking a card a favor? For who is the magic happening, for the audience of for the magician?

I think the phrase "do me a favor" is just filler words.

What do you think?

Take a motivational management and supervision seminar, they will explain it to you. Short answer, you will always get a positive response if you ask a person to do you a favor, instead of saying, pick a card or go ahead and pick a card. One is intimidating the other seems like they are the one making the decision to help.

It does get old after repetitive request, sometimes to the point, they will say, depends on the favor, or not again. Seems you have heard it to often yourself for you to be asking, Will you do me a favor?

Actually, when performing it is better to get the person to do exactly what you want in the way you want to be more shot, and then take the sting off, like, Pick a card, any card at all. Today would be convenient for all of us.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
638 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Saying " Do me a favor" sucks. There are many magicians and many good magicians who use it but it doesn't mean they should or that it works for them. They just overcome it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You do favors for people you like. It is a way of breaking down social barriers. Used correctly it can put people at ease.

If you don't understand these things don't use the phrase. But don't necessarily judge those that do too harshly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
I'm not judging anyone. I just think it's overused. If you have a clear purpose for using it, fine...but I believe most magicians don't.
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
It's better than starting a sentence with the word actually, and then sprinkling more in as an attempt to sound intelligent. No offence intended Bill. It's become so common in language these days, pushed farther by those in broadcast medium it seems, that people parrot it without even realizing what they are saying. Same with "you know", "ummm", "like", etc.
http://www.4hoteliers.com/features/article/7765
excerpt: Her (Caroline Kennedy) natural intelligence was overshadowed by the fact that, within one 30 minute interview, she said "you know" 168 times, a fact that was mockingly reported by the late night comedians."

Actually, my ears are actually finely tuned to the actual overuse of the actual word actually, actually. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2015, AndreJ wrote:
I'm not judging anyone. I just think it's overused. If you have a clear purpose for using it, fine...but I believe most magicians don't.

Incidentally "worst line ever" is a judgment.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
638 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I’m judging. It sucks. I don’t claim to be perfect, but my shortcomings don’t make it suck any less.

Most magicians use it in some variation of the following “Do me a favor and (pick a card), (hold this object), (tell me when to stop)”. The variations are endless and overused. Saying “please select a card” is much better and with proper scripting there are even more polite and professional ways of giving our spectators instructions. Saying “do me a favor” is just a crutch for giving a spectator instructions. Emily Post would roll over in her grave if she saw how overused and trite it has become.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of drmagico
How about " I would be very grateful if you would assist me" or something similar
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Why not say "You're probably thinking I want you to take a card and memorize it so I can find it later. That is correct so.. can we move-on to a coin trick now?"
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
So this is annoying for magicians to hear OTHER magicians saying? I suppose. Don't we all sprinkle a few one liners throughout our show? Sparingly, of course. It's much better to interact with the audience genuinely. But who's annoyed by this? Not the audience, right?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Right, Frankieacemagic

In my opinion this is much ado about very little.

Jordan B wrote:

Quote:
Most magicians use it in some variation of the following “Do me a favor and (pick a card), (hold this object), (tell me when to stop)”. The variations are endless and overused. Saying “please select a card” is much better and with proper scripting there are even more polite and professional ways of giving our spectators instructions.

It seems to me that "Do Me a Favor" is serving the same purpose as "Please". It is just a little nicety to acknowledge that they are not required to follow your instructions.

Here is a nice article about why we say please and thank you.

http://www.brainpickings.org/2013/07/25/......ank-you/
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Change with the times peeps, it's "Do me a solid."

Smile
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:

Smile

If you asked people round my way to do you a solid, you may not be thanking them for the results !
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, WilburrUK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:

Smile

If you asked people round my way to do you a solid, you may not be thanking them for the results !

Or "Could you Float me a loan"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » "Do me a favor..." Worst line ever. (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL