The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Hitting a block (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I've recently hit a block. I've been working on one move for quite a while, many hours of practice. And I just can't get it. And today, I just seemed to have gone two steps backwards - I thought I'd been making slow progress, but it was like being back at square one.

This is very frustrating, and it isn't the first time this has happened to me. Previously I'd just abandoned the move, which meant abandoning the trick. But I can't accept that I just can't do all these tricks ...

What do people suggest when they hit a frustrating block?

I've double checked the instructions a lot of times, super slow, and thought about it, and made tiny adjustments and careful alterations ... But to no avail.

What next?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I have had to abandon unproductive lines of practice, some after months of work.

It is painful but I don't want to spend more good time after bad, so to speak. There are many places where that practice time could go further.

I occasionally re-visit those projects just to see if I've gained some insight from leaving the project for a while. Sometimes it helps but sometimes it hasn't.

It is your call but if a move is that hard, how confident will you ever be in the real world? How about as you age?

Best luck. I feel your pain.

I've been picking up cards over one card jugglery move several intense practice bouts per year for years. It works just often enough to keep me trying but I know in my heart it will never make my pro. repertoire. Some things you practice just because you enjoy the chase.

-Mary Mowder
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of drmagico
Sometimes laying off those moves or effects you cannot seem to get is the best way..you may find that sometime in the future you will approach it with more knowledge or skill so that you will be able to do it. Some moves may just be out of your ability also..I have tried for years to muscle pass a coin but to no avail...I just work harder on the sleights that I will need to use for the effects I wish to perform. Don't put time into things you will probably never need...Howard
Kuzushi
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Kuzushi
Often times I will practice something and hit a wall just as you have. The thing to do is take a break and come back to it at a later time. You may notice that you pick up on it quicker when you approach it again.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Thanks for th input folks Smile

I'm. Not quite ready to abandon it yet (I'm a little stubborn), but if it doesn't happen soon I'll probably take a little break and try to come it again fresh, after I've developed some other stuff.

Last night it seemed to be making progress again ... So who knows, maybe I'll crack it this week Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Hitting a block (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL