The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Starting Dove Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

inneradiction87
View Profile
New user
scottsdale AZ
17 Posts

Profile of inneradiction87
I've been reading this forum, and finnaly desided to get tony clarks unmasked 1&2, and behind the seems. The only question is where can I get dove pockets.
I don't have doves yet but plan to get some in the future. I was planning to learn how to do it all and use either a fake dove or gym socks to pratice. What would you preffer?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can get most anything you need from Tony Clark. But the information you mentioned will provide the construction of such things.

I don't know who you are so I will say your mom,wife, girlfriend will have to sew the items for you and make anything you need.
inneradiction87
View Profile
New user
scottsdale AZ
17 Posts

I just looked at tony clarks site and saw the quick relese and the professional dove holder. Since Im new I don't know what to look for. Are these good Ones if so which one is better.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Inneradiction87. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to dove pockets, holders and harnesses. At the end of Tony's video, he advertises his products which are excellent. If you want to use his products, I would suggest you buy the dove pockets and regular dove harnesses or bag at first.
Another good dove bag and holder set is that made by General Grant.
In either case, a common method is to practice with a gym socks. They can made into the basic shape of a dove. A rubber dove will not hold the shape and may mislead you when actually doing the trick.
wmhegbli is correct in that you can make your own but I would suggest since you are just starting out, that you purchase a few of them just to get an understanding of what they are and how they should be made.
Where the magic begins
inneradiction87
View Profile
New user
scottsdale AZ
17 Posts

Thanks for the info, but Im getting confused with pockets, harnesses and bags.
I was looking at tony clarks harnesses but only say the invisible one, I read here that it wasn't good and it hurt the bird.
As for the pockets I thought to get the professional dove holder.
I have no idea what a bag is I'm guessing it just another name for a dove holer. If you can fill me as much as you can I would really apreciate it.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
The invisible harness is what you use for barehanded productions or from a fan of cards. Properly used you should not hurt the bird. If used improperly however, the results can be fatal.

A holder or bag is basically a device used to produce the bird. These are all for the most part safe for the bird as long as you don't keep them loaded for too long. Most will say no more than about 10 minutes before you walk on stage.

The pocket is what you load the bird in either in invisible harness or bag holder until it is produced.

My preference is the instant release holder by Tony Clark. I use these in my own show and they are great because all the worry about trying to open the holder is eliminated. It is exactly as it says...instant release.

Tony has a great invisible harness too. It is very safe and has a nice loop design where you can take it off. I however started making my own, as it is easier for me to do so.

The actual products you use are really a personal preference. They are tools and everyone has their favorite. Just make sure they are safe for the bird. The birds are not tools and should not be treated as such.

I have really only use Tony Clark’s holders. I got a Gen Grant one and really didn't care for it. However, I love his pockets, I really recommend his pockets. They are heavier than Tony's and have a different design.

Experiment a bit. I would suggest learning moves off the video, then script a routine and figure out what items you need. This may save you a bit of money when it comes to buying materials. Good luck.
Zaubern Smile
inneradiction87
View Profile
New user
scottsdale AZ
17 Posts

Zaubern thank you, you cleared everything up.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Inneradiction87,

There are plenty of products on the market but you are the boss. You are extremely lucky to live where you do.

There is a very fine opera in Phoenix just a couple of hours away. They usually have very good professional costumers who know much more about the subject than magicians would like to think they do. Check it out. Ultimately you really want custom made ones for you anyway. Watch some videos, read some books, and shop a little. Get an idea of what's available and what you want. Take a real dove with you for measurements. Professional costumers are the creative hidden resources of stage productions. They are very good!

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Inneradiction87, since you're in Arizona maybe look up one of the best and cleanest dove magicians around, his name is Adrian Van Vactor. He's a good friend and we'd hang out a lot and jam on doves when he used to live in Minnesota. He currently works with MAGI and travels out of the country a lot on tours and I'm not sure how much time he'd have to work with someone but he's an awesome guy and his dove act is one of the most elegant I've ever seen.

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Inner,

Go to http://www.amosmagic.com he has a tails suit he sells all set up and ready to go. Comes with instructions and everything.

It may seem like a lot of money but I spent over $500 on holders, pockets, bags, and books before I found the correct methods and techniques for dove productions.

Learn the hard way or just buy ready made and concentrate on the act.
inneradiction87
View Profile
New user
scottsdale AZ
17 Posts

Thank you all for the help. I'll try to look up adrian. You all are psyching me up to get started.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Starting Dove Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL