The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too many tricks!!!!! (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, dader76 wrote:
What it comes down to is a bit of discipline. I like the idea of choosing a book, DVD, and not get mesmerized by "Oh, I love that, I mean that one. NO, that one!" I started last night, wrote down a few effects that I've meant to work on and am sticking to them. Thanks all for the advice and admonishment.

Please refer to my first post. You are beginning to understand. (Here comes the BUT!) But, you are still using terminology LOOSELY. (YOU CANNOT "WRITE DOWN A FEW E F F E C T S!!!)

An EFFECT IS WHAT THE SPECTATOR SEES, OR THINKS THAT HE SEES. An EFFECT is not a TRICK.

A TRICK is what you PERFORM, using the PROP or SECRET that you bought.

People see and experience according to their own intelligence, their own experience, and their own viewpoint. An EFFECT is SUBJECTIVE!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
Effect
Effect
Effect

Harris.
Whose OCD sometimes gets trumped by his
ADHD.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
AlvinMaker
View Profile
New user
United States
4 Posts

Profile of AlvinMaker
As someone returning to magic, I really appreciate the advice given here. (especially GreenKnight33s - I may adopt the spreadsheet idea.) I suffered from, what I am seeing is actually quite common, magic overload when I got back into it a few years ago. I ended up with what is surely a lifetime of material (and more, possibly), with no direction as to what I wanted to DO with it all. I've since tried to narrow my focus, and decide WHO I am as a performer. (which, coincidentally, grew out of me taking a step back and looking at what I personally enjoyed in magic. Regardless of how obvious, it never occurred to me that THAT was what I should be focusing on.). SO- I've since decided on a small routine that contains a handful of ideas, and am practicing those to take out in public. I've put the proverbial brakes on any new purchases until I have completely worn out the aforementioned material. (and of course that doesn't mean they go the way of the do do bird later- but at least this way, I'll truly know which fit ME, and which I should put in the graveyard, i.e. giant plastic tub of magic. Smile

Huge thanks for the advice given here. I am 38 years old, and my wife and I are expecting our first child, soon. A big motivator for me to pick all this back up again is to be able to do some stuff for my little one when she arrives and can appreciate it. In a sense, I've learned more here over the years surfing the Café than from some of the DVDs I've purchased during one of my binges. Cheers, guys!
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
Magic is a great hobby, and with all the books, magazines, tricks and heaven knows what else around you are never going to have it all. I allow myself some "play" money each month and with that I can buy myself a new toy (eg DVD or trick). BUT I mustn't spend MORE than my play allowance UNLESS I've purchased something I can earn (and do earn) money from. So I get to have my fill of "candy" and also have the chance to buy EXTRA candy if some of what I've already got gets shared with others!
dleiber
View Profile
New user
Temecula, CA, USA
29 Posts

Profile of dleiber
AlvinMaker, congratulations to you and your wife on your upcoming addition to your magic audience, uh, er, family!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3587 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
AlvinMaker,

Congratulations on the new baby! I was about your age when my oldest was born (13 years ago). I can tell you that when they are only two or three, they really love magic. This lasts quite a while. As they get older (around six or seven), they just can't stand not knowing how it is done. My advice: resist the temptation to show them. Instead, get them a beginner book of magic and let them earn it, or give them a simple little magic kit and teach them the kid stuff.

Enjoy your child as they grow up so fast. You have probably heard that a million times, but it's true. My wife and I also have a three year old, and she just loves for me to do magic. I think she is convinced that the coin appears and disappears when she blows on it. Hopefully I'm not scarring her for life. Maybe when she's older she'll try blowing on someone to make them disappear.

KJ
Snoogansgt
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Snoogansgt
Congrats AlvinMaker on becomming a new father! I too am about to become a father here in the next few days or weeks. My wife's due date is Easter Sunday.
1KJ I really liked what you said about doing magic for your kids. I too want to be able to do magic for my children and I hope that they will become interested in it as well. I can't wait to experience doing magic for my kids!
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
At 2 my youngest is a great audience, and it helps my practice of some things (eg card under glass!). My eldest had me do her birthday parties at 4, 5 and 6 - but she's 10 now so too grown up! BUT she does do some magic (a bit) herself and helps me out when we do a show for a local senior citizens group!
Hondo88
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Hondo88
I too am like dader and have stopped buying the next newest things and am going back to basics. I am reading more about the why of magic in order to more fully understand the art. I am taking all of these comments to heart and love this forum for all the valuable insights. Keep it coming.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too many tricks!!!!! (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL