The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Draper At The Table! 3/11/2015 (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarcusC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MarcusC
Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you know we have Paul Draper joining us for an At The Table lecture tomorrow!

"Paul Draper is one of the hardest working mentalists and magicians we know. An anthropologist, magician and mentalist all in one, Paul has traveled the world performing, lecturing and spreading his knowledge of these arts, even having had the honors of performing at the world famous Magic Castle. Paul has appeared on TV on several occasions and won the Merlin Award in 2014 for Best Corporate Performer. In this AT THE TABLE EXPERIENCE, Paul will be performing and explaining pieces of both magic and mentalism. He will also be discussing the limitations of mentalism, how to create a character and much more.

We welcome you as we step inside the mind of Paul Draper!"
MarcusC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MarcusC
Join us tonight, folks - first minutes are free as always at http://www.murphysmagic.com/free20! Smile
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I am 20 minutes into the lecture and I cannot believe how much Paul Draper has taught me about effect and routine structure. I am looking forward to the rest of it.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
234 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Thank you my friend! I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Please let people know if you think it is good. 20 minutes in and you are only 1/6th of the way through!

Paul
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I know. Watched a little more. I once read a description of Richard Brautigan's writings (this was a few decades ago, so very rough paraphrase), but it basically was this: Brautigan's writings was somewhat askew of the world, but after you read his words, it was as if this was the way you have always seen the world.

In your talk about what a mentalism show is, I could not believe I never consciously understood it that way, but instinctively, I did. Also, your question about the coin effect had me laughing out loud. You got me, and you got me good.

Thanks.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
234 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Thank you for watching and letting me know! Yes the Alien Drop has been a signature piece of my magic lectures and it has been fun to share it with magicians all over the world.
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
234 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
New Demo video for the Murphy's: At the Table!

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Streaming/Product.aspx?id=55299

Paul
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
You can see my review here. This was one of my favorite lectures! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqOFU6ew......&index=1
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I only watched 5 or 10 minutes from the free sample. It was terrific. I got more out of that 5 or 10 minute free sample than many hour long dvds or lectures. I will definitely be buying the complete lecture.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, magicinsight wrote:
I only watched 5 or 10 minutes from the free sample. It was terrific. I got more out of that 5 or 10 minute free sample than many hour long dvds or lectures. I will definitely be buying the complete lecture.
Michael

He really bares all here, I have seen him use these same effects in his live shows as well as on TV. It was excellent.
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
234 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Here is the review from Joe Diamond at My Lovely Assistant:
http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/4603
MarcusC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MarcusC
Paul's lecture is finally out on DVD, both as a single lecture DVD and as a DVD-set collecting the whole month's lectures. Smile
My Lovely Assistant
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of My Lovely Assistant
My Review: Rating 4.5 out of 5 Stars!

Paul Draper’s At The Table lecture was fantastic. For those of you who don’t know him, he is a mentalist. Throughout the lecture, he presents practical advice on working gigs, how to prepare, how to present various tricks and interacting with your audience.

Interestingly, he discussed the flaws of mentalism, and why mentalism can be boring…. how you can lose an audience and how you can grab and keep their attention. He is quite a captivating lecturer and his common sense anecdotes and tips can really help a performer reflect upon their own act, even if they are not a mentalist. Draper indicates that most people don’t want to be able to do magic, they want to be able to read minds.

During the lecture, he reviews mentalism gimmicks and toys and spends a decent amount of time discussing the oft neglected thumb tip. Draper demonstrates a few routines with a thumb tip and shows how powerful this $1.99 gimmick can be when used properly. He is critical of how we use the tip and it may make you rethink how you use a thumb tip, or inspire you to dig it out of your closet. Although he does not go into the mechanics of a switch, that is not necessary to understand the big picture he presents.

Draper gives war stories of the early years of his career and tells it like it is. He conveys a somber assessment of how performers can fail in this tough world. He also discusses, reading people, psychometry, the art of cold reading and how he relates to people.

His advice on understanding who you are and finding yourself as a performer is insightful. Although this lecture does not teach many tricks of mentalism, compared to several to several other lectures, it is still an excellent resource and lecture on the topics discussed above.

www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/4738
Visit www.mylovelyassistant.com for magic product reviews.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Draper At The Table! 3/11/2015 (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL