The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Quick Hello from 'Nawlins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AlvinMaker
View Profile
New user
United States
10 Posts

Profile of AlvinMaker
Hello all-

After some years lurking and soaking up information, I finally saw fit to join in and introduce myself. I have lived in the Southern part of Louisiana most of my life, (save for a short spell in N.C., which, coincidentally, was where I had some great magic memories as a kid), and now reside outside New Orleans.

It all started after seeing David Copperfield's for the first time. I was hooked. I "grew out" of magic (or so I thought) when I hit my teens, but around the time of Hurricane Katrina (2005), that fire got re-ignited (probably from having nothing to do while we waited for everything to re-open) and I went into full on "magic overload" and bought anything and everything magic related that wasn't bolted down. That lasted a while, but with no real direction, the treasure trove of magic acquisitions got pushed further and further back into the closet.

I have a good buddy who is a professional magician/entertainer from this area, and after seeing him push a cigarette through a quarter some time ago, my childhood wonder with magic returned. (it didn't matter in the least that I knew how he did it- I was just truly, and genuinely, entertained, and was reminded of WHY I got into magic in the first place!).

The last few months I've since tried to return to my "roots", and get back to basics. I really just want to perform for friends and family. (my brother also got into magic when we were young, but stayed with it as a hobby- and since he is now within driving distance, I have someone to interact with and share ideas). I was always a "card guy", but as of late, I am really getting into the mentalism side of things (which definitely fits my personality). But again, I am taking my time, focusing on the core stuff I never spent the appropriate time with, and looking to work up a few simple ideas to test out on the wife, my brother, and eventually, my social circle. (who LOVE magic, as it turns out... The first time our buddy performed for us as a group they went NUTS. That was definitely a motivator for me to get my act together. (pun intended). Smile

Thanks in advance for all of the advice and knowledge I've already reaped from this forum. I look forward to hanging out, chatting, sharing ideas, and being part of the community!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome AlvinMaker,

Nice to meet a guy who will cop to an intended pun.

I enjoyed your introduction.
It was not too long, told a nice story and conveyed your enthusiasm in a way that was catching.

Best of luck in your magical re-launch, I know the Café will help you get a little more out of some of your closeted acquisitions.

-Mary Mowder
AlvinMaker
View Profile
New user
United States
10 Posts

Profile of AlvinMaker
Thanks Mary!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Welcome, AlvinMaker.

I must say, one of my favorite mentalism props is the Interceptor. Have you used this? I also have a favorite mentalism routine with just a pile of ungimmicked business cards or small index cards. If you PM me, I'll share my effect with you.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Quick Hello from 'Nawlins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL