The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » European university course 2015 (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
An university course for experienced magicians will be given this summer in Stockholm. Three weeks fulltime, June 8-30.
Like any other university course, is free of charge for EU citizens. (Non-EU citizens are also welcome, but unfortunately not free).

Johan Ståhl and Tom Stone are the main facilitators. The main topics are misdirection and dramatic structures. It will draw heavily on the participants' own experiences. The study model is very hands-on with focus on research and practical experiments. The course is given in English.

You'll get 4.5 university credits and an university diploma from the Stockholm University of the Arts - something that might open doors that previously have been closed to you.

To apply you need at least 5 years of practical experience and submit a work sample, 5-10 minutes performance on video (if possible; single camera, unedited). Last date of application: April 15.
The pace will be intense, and it will be exhausting, and it will be insanely fun!

For those in the conjuring field, please share this information so that all interested magicians becomes aware of this opportunity. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Official information is here: Magic 1
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Would love to go but I've been expelled from every school I ever attended. The structure just didn't work for me.

Good luck to those that get a place. It looks fantastic.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Nick Singh
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
133 Posts

Profile of Nick Singh
This sounds incredible! It looks like it's 60000 Sek for non-EU citizens or am I just bad at guessing what the Swedish information states?
Magician and Emcee in Singapore - www.nick.com.sg
Youtube channel of travel videos and podcasts - www.youtube.com/user/blackchilliwing/videos
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Would love to go but I've been expelled from every school I ever attended. The structure just didn't work for me.

Oh, we make up our own structures! Tell me what kind of structure you prefer, and I might be able to adjust it accordingly.
There's very little of the traditional classroom teacher/student system. Almost all is hands-on practical work.

The structure that have worked fine so far have been the following:
-First, a short and well packed talk about a specific technique or theory (one-ahead, crossing the gaze, foreshadowing & callbacks...).
-Then, in small groups brainstorm and experiment for one hour to discover ways to apply, utilize, improve or disprove the topic from the talk.
-Then perform the findings.
-Then group discussion about what was discovered, pros and cons etc.
...then lunch
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, Nick Singh wrote:
This sounds incredible! It looks like it's 60000 Sek for non-EU citizens or am I just bad at guessing what the Swedish information states?

No, you are correct. For non-EU citizens, the cost is unfortunately 60000 SEK (almost 7000 USD).
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
A bug on the application page has just been fixed.
To apply, press the purple button labeled "Sök Här" in the right column.
http://www.doch.se/utbildning/alla-utbil......i-1-2015
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, TStone wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, Nick Singh wrote:

No, you are correct. For non-EU citizens, the cost is unfortunately 60000 SEK (almost 7000 USD).

Turns out they accidentally had put the wrong number on the page.
The cost is 36000 SEK (about 4000 USD) for non-EU citizens.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Depending on your nationality and your government’s views on education you might be eligible for student loans or grants.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Smile
Nick Singh
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
133 Posts

Profile of Nick Singh
I would love to go to a course like this but I can't shut down my company for a month.

This really looks like an incredible missed opportunity for me. ***.
Magician and Emcee in Singapore - www.nick.com.sg
Youtube channel of travel videos and podcasts - www.youtube.com/user/blackchilliwing/videos
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
So far, there have been applications from 10 different countries. A good range of people, some who have specialized in standard corporate gigs, some artistic performers and even some FISM prize winners. These three weeks will be a blast! Smile
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Two days left. The evening of April 15 is the absolute last day to apply, so hurry up if you are interested! Smile
http://www.doch.se/in-english/education/......c-1-2015
If something goes awry with the application and the university's backwards computer system, email:
studieinfo@doch.uniarts.se , info@johanstahl.se or info@tomstone.se
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Fantastic!! Wish I had the chance to apply. Great job Ståhl and Stone!
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
Well, I don't have the 5 years of experience. I really hope this course will be repeated in the following years when I meet the requirements! Johann Stahl is the best magician I've ever seen live.
I took the Pledge
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Due to a bug in the application form's file upload function, the application time have been prolonged to April 21. So, there's still a few days left to decide! Smile
http://www.doch.se/in-english/education/......c-1-2015
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » European university course 2015 (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL