The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic without cards! (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Charlieherbertmagic
Ok, so I do lots of close up magic, like for events at school, just to freinds, caring homes and basically at any opportunity I get! So was wondering if anyone could reccomend any good tricks that don't use cards, preferably one that's not to expensive (around £20 or $30) I have already got an expanded coin shell and was given a coin unique buy someone, and am currently looking for routines I could do with these. Ideally I would like to get something visual which happens in the spectators hands, something like 'the changeling' however I don't think that would be natural for me as I don't really carry around £5 notes (I'm only 13!) any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Charlie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Rubber-band effects like
CMH
Jacobs Ladder

$ bill effects like
Clean through Clear Through
Wonderland $
T&R $
Warp II or Dr Strange Trick (both use a card though)

Ring and Ribbon

Bracelet or Scarf through wrist

Gypsy Thread

Sponge Balls (I don't do 'em but I should
Silk and thumb tip work (I don't but I should)

for larger strolling
Various stand alone Rope effects like Butterfly, toss-a-knot, instant knot etc
Ring and Rope
P.N.
Ninja Rings (or Royals till you can get something better)

Many of these are classics and can be found in Library books like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Many Libraries have resources you wouldn't expect and can borrow from neighboring systems.

Keep in mind that your connection with and gracious handling of the Spectators as important as the Magic Effects you do. The Spectators are there to have fun. Fun can take many forms but there has to be a payoff for them. Put yourself in their place after your show.

You are making a very good choice in expanding your Close-Up collection. The public as a whole likes varied Magic.
I can honestly say that having a varied repertoire has given me an edge in some Close-Up venues over more talented Magicians with all Card effects (even though they were good showmen and making a connection). Some people just don't connect with cards as objects for more than one effect.

-Mary Mowder
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Charlie,

You are on the right path learning some non-card material.

Dover publications has some inexpensive books that use varied props that you might find useful. I recommend both Martin Gardner's Table Magic and Karl Fulve's Self Working Table Magic as well as Scarne's Magic Tricks.

You would also be well advised to pick up a copy of The Amateur Magicians Handbook by Henry Hay and The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne. These aren't availble through Dover, but should be readily available. They are both filled with good, fun magic.
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, Mary Mowder wrote:
Rubber-band effects like
CMH
Jacobs Ladder

$ bill effects like
Clean through Clear Through
Wonderland $
T&R $
Warp II or Dr Strange Trick (both use a card though)

Ring and Ribbon

Bracelet or Scarf through wrist

Gypsy Thread

Sponge Balls (I don't do 'em but I should
Silk and thumb tip work (I don't but I should)

for larger strolling
Various stand alone Rope effects like Butterfly, toss-a-knot, instant knot etc
Ring and Rope
P.N.
Ninja Rings (or Royals till you can get something better)

Many of these are classics and can be found in Library books like Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Many Libraries have resources you wouldn't expect and can borrow from neighboring systems.

Keep in mind that your connection with and gracious handling of the Spectators as important as the Magic Effects you do. The Spectators are there to have fun. Fun can take many forms but there has to be a payoff for them. Put yourself in their place after your show.

You are making a very good choice in expanding your Close-Up collection. The public as a whole likes varied Magic.
I can honestly say that having a varied repertoire has given me an edge in some Close-Up venues over more talented Magicians with all Card effects (even though they were good showmen and making a connection). Some people just don't connect with cards as objects for more than one effect.

-Mary Mowder

Thanks very much!!! Will be sure to check these out Smile
Could anyone give some ideas on some magic with borrowed or everyday objects? Thanks again Mary!
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, JordanB wrote:
Charlie,

You are on the right path learning some non-card material.

Dover publications has some inexpensive books that use varied props that you might find useful. I recommend both Martin Gardner's Table Magic and Karl Fulve's Self Working Table Magic as well as Scarne's Magic Tricks.

You would also be well advised to pick up a copy of The Amateur Magicians Handbook by Henry Hay and The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne. These aren't availble through Dover, but should be readily available. They are both filled with good, fun magic.

Thanks! Will check these are out too Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Go to the address under this post with the word "magic" in it - click on "Magic Books" and you'll find information, contents, on The Magic Book - among others.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Chop cup!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I would use your money on books rather than effects, books will teach you many routines an effect is one trick.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Go to the address under this post with the word "magic" in it - click on "Magic Books" and you'll find information, contents, on The Magic Book - among others.

Yes I a will, your books have been recommended to me! Thanks!!
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Chop cup!

I did get a chop cup actually, and am still working on a routine, thanks!
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, george1953 wrote:
I would use your money on books rather than effects, books will teach you many routines an effect is one trick.

Yes, and I guess nowadays most people just get DVDs so the best secrets are kept in the books, thanks for the advice Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Charlie
Spoon and fork bending works well as long as you play the part of a "conduit" or that you're "all powerful" and causing everything to happen at will.

Seeing as you're still young, if you learn to appear like the magic happens and you don't know why, you may find a new avenue to entertain with.

This type of performance is not a trick (which is what you asked about initially) it's a way of thinking, acting and performing. Timing is everything. Usually, newer performers are anxious to be quick because they are fearful of being caught but, as a good general rule, there are times to be quick, times to let the audience discover what you already know and times to be deliberate and slow.

What I learned in acting 101 is to perform just slow enough you can read what you're saying because running through routines at what seems normal to you is too fast for others. Remember, you know what you're doing but the audience does not, so sometimes they need a short pause or moment to reflect.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I think you may benefit greatly from, if you don't have it already, Greg Wilson's 'On the Spot' dvd...

You asked for things that would cost no more than £20/$30... from memory, I think there are no gaffe's at all on this dvd.. so this meets your criteria - you get a lot of tricks on a dvd that you can probably pick up second hand on ebay for about £12/$18. There are many 'non cards' tricks: eg. A coin trick that happens in the spectator's hands called 'Questionable Trick', a coin under watch, a lip stick trick, napkins rolled into balls and more... so your criteria of 'in the spectators' hands is often met as well.

Whilst I commend books, I think you might learn a lot off this dvd as a young magician including using misdirection, being bold in your moves, and observing how someone does well also by being charming and engaging with their audience.

Good luck!
mrsmiles
(UK)
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
How about a good Benson bowl routine.
Dan Tong has a nice one on his DVD's
http://www.kozmomagic.com/artist/dan-tong/

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Some non card related tricks that I perform:

Finger Ring and String (Leather Lace) Routine
Holy Moly (Uses Washers, it's by Jay Sankey It's very powerful as well as very easy)
Winged Silver (Coins Across without a shell, but learning either a coins across or Winged Silver is a great idea. I actually prefer a Winged Silver (Non shelled) as appose to using a shell.
3-Fly (It works for some and not so much for others. The non gimmicked one that I do takes a lot of practice and patience to look good)
Fiber Optics structured routine (Richard Sanders has that Fiber Optics Dvd with many different professors nightmare phases/variations. IF you don't know how it works, you'll bet that they're gimmicked ropes or something. Peoples eyes pop out of their heads)

Ones I don't do or no longer do but are great:
Flash by Chad Long, or Color changing knives
Rubberbands have a lot of powerful tricks, I just don't use them because I don't think they fit my character.
Sponge Balls If you think classical handling is too generic, do more research. There's a lot of great out of the ordinary ideas out there for them.
Egg Bag, there's some GREAT things you can do with an Egg Bag. I would mainly do it for kids or family orientated crowds, making it comedy.

There's a lot of great stuff out there. Find what you think appeals to you most and practice it.

Good luck!
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Hi Charlie,

With just a couple of decent books (follow Mr Lorayne's advice) and the items you have already got I think you are well on the way. (I'll PM you one of my favourite coin unique tricks) The Café is a bit like the ultimate sweet shop, try not to spend all your hard earned pocket money on the latest tricks you see appearing on here, many of them will end up gathering dust at the bottom of a drawer. Instead read the books, watch the DVD's, practice the tricks that you like the look of and don't be put off when they go wrong occasionally. Good luck!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The encyclopedia of impromptu magic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
The encyclopedia of impromptu magic.

Good luck finding it!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
There's more than enough stuff already mentioned to last you forever here! Perhaps too much ... You can't do it all.

What can I add to all this advice? Not a lot, but I'm not sure anyone has mentioned two excellent bang-for-buck magic props:

Paddles
Rope

Have fun! I wish I'd started out young ... And with your confidence and talent Smile
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Holy Moly!!
CMH
Spongeballs
Nest of wallets
$2 window
Wonderland dollar bill
Hundy 500/extreme burn
Scotch and soda
Dishonest Abe
Ring and string
Fair Play
Bill tube
100 names
Powerball 60
Out to lunch business cards
Business card mental epic
Pressure
That is my list of ones that I have used.
My regular ones are:
Micro psychic
CMH
Holy moly
Sponge ball
Burn notice and 100 names
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic without cards! (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL