The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Your Phone Killing The Art Of Conversation? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I wonder whether the invention of the camera heralded the demise of painting, drawing, or other visual arts. Of course it didn't -- it just gave rise to a new art form, photography.

By the same token, those who point to smartphones as heralding the demise of conversation are missing something: that people don't (usually) stare blankly into their devices, but rather use those devices to *communicate* with others. The conversation isn't going away, it's moving to a new medium.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That's the tragedy. Take away the technology, and people won't know what to do. I personally am tired of the .damn things. I'm tired of looking at the top of people's heads, when I'm trying to have a conversation. Ya may as well just tell me to shut up. Then turn your back. At least I get the message clearly.

Doug
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Guess its the person more than the device...though the device can be AWFULLY tempting!

To me, its just another reason for parents to stress the value of plain old common courtesy to their kids re: those they interect with ("...put down your phone and look them in the eye, and...").

One thing that I thought was odd - and I even felt this until I realized what I was doing - was this feeling that if someone texted you, you had to respond right then. I remember having conversations about this with my kids when they were younger:

"You don't have to respond within 5 seconds."

"Well, yes I do!"

"Why?"

"They'll think I'm being rude."

"You can't be expected to wait by your phone all the time. Besides, if they get angry with you for something that small, are they really your friend?"

Etc... It took awhile, but they finally 'got it'.

On the other hand (for example), there is this app called "Group Me" - you can set up people for texting in groups. My family is the group (you can be in more than one group, but I'm just in the family group). With 2 daughters in different universities, it is a GREAT tool to keep up, share photos, make sure everyone is on the same page re: plans. And no one ever says, "I sent you a (photo, message, question...) yesterday. Why haven't you replied yet, huh?" Smile

At my work, a lot more people work at home, or remotely, more often. Often, the office is rather dead. I really do miss the 'old days' of having people around, converations by the photocopier, groups getting together to go to lunch. Not much of that, anymore, and I really miss it!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
These things evolve over time. For example, in the television era, we lost patience with public rhetoric. In the 19th century, it was common to attend all-day public debates between election candidates (with a suitable break for lunch). This simply does not happen any more.

The Internet has broken news into even smaller bits and pieces, and most people are satisfied with headlines, short video clips and blogs to form their opinions.

When we didn't have electronic entertainment, people talked, sang and played together because there were few alternatives.

When we gain something, we usually lose something else. For better or for worse.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
O.k. now I remember... thanks, John. Smile

I was doing a little research for a short film our class is working on- looking for some Public Domain swing/jazz/big band music. Found Bob Lawrence version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes". Was surprised to hear someone start singing at about 1:41 ie. halfway through the song.

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I find it amusing (and a little pathetic) when I see a table full of young people and they are all texting rather than talking to those they are with. If the person you are texting is more interesting, go sit at their table!

The good thing about this is you stand out by doing what used to be standard etiquette. A simple "thank you" note is now exceptional. I'm as guilty as anyone; Magnus hosted me twice now and the best he got in return was an email!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Your Phone Killing The Art Of Conversation? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL