The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One cup routine when strolling (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
After spending too much time with cards I am finally getting into One Cup Routine when strolling.

The routine I am now using is a "One Cup Routine" where you start out with 3 crochet balls and end with two large loads. It is a Scotty York routine with some touches of my own.
I am presenting this with a white regular espresso-cup that I've "borrowed".

I have a few questions;

1. Do you guys (Sorry Faye Preston!! I meant guys/girls!!) feel that it needs the necessary routine elements provided by the chop cup when strolling?
2. Do you girls/guys feel that you need a "fancy cup"? I love the look of the Don Alan Mini cup but my oh my the price of that thing..
3. Regarding the Chop Cup; I'm a bit confused. Is the "special thing" always in the cup, or always in the ball? Or both?
4. Any ideas for final loads? (currently using golf balls and playing around with billiards).

(Really hoping true working strollers will chime in here.. Looking at you pepka!)
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
1. Do you guys (Sorry Faye Preston!! I meant guys/girls!!) feel that it needs the necessary routine elements provided by the chop cup when strolling?

I'm not sure what you mean by "necessary routine elements." There is a learned technique to load at the correct times and provide good direction of attention. So the structure can be changed a little but while you are starting out and trying to figure out where your audience is looking, I would stick with Scotty's method.

2. Do you girls/guys feel that you need a "fancy cup"? I love the look of the Don Alan Mini cup but my oh my the price of that thing..

No, you don't need a fancy cup. I just wouldn't use one that looks disgusting. If I'm going to plop this things down into someones space, I personally, would like a nicer looking cup because it just looks cleaner. If you use a mug, just use a mug that doesn't look like it was at a truck stop and stained with coffee.

3. Regarding the Chop Cup; I'm a bit confused. Is the "special thing" always in the cup, or always in the ball? Or both?

Both... Kind of... I know that's not saying it well but the ball technically changes and it's always in the cup. Can't really say more than that without exposing it.

4. Any ideas for final loads? (currently using golf balls and playing around with billiards).

While starting out, it may be beneficial to try something noiseless. Things like lemons, limes, tennis balls, lacrosse balls etc. that don't have a harder exterior which make a "clink" sound while being loaded. Then you get comfortable, then maybe try it.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
(In regards to question number 1 I am talking about using the effects naturaly supplied by the chop cup/ chopped ball).
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
"It" isn't required for this routine, you can use any cup and any balls. I used my Morrissey chop cup because I happened to have one and I knew what size final loads would fit in it.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Yes I know Theodore:)
I was just wondering if using m****s gives a big plus to the routine. The Scotty York routine is nice and fast, but is it lacking when it comes to strolling?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I never found it to be lacking. It might be best to try different routines and see what works best for you. But Scotty's is a great routine on its own.
Edit- strolling? Or table hopping? I only did Scotty's routine table hopping. Strolling I would use a mini cup routine.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Just some thoughts about your questions.

1 It depends on what you want to do.
There are lots of ways to entertain without a chop cup, just as there are ways to utilise a chop cup.

2 You don't need a "fancy" cup.
I have used coffee mugs and other "found" cups to perform with one cup.
As I said above, it all depends on what you want to do.
With regard to the Don Alan mini cup, I have that cup and it works very well indeed and it looks the part too.
The cost is something you must decide for yourself, can you justify the price for the use you will get out of it?

3 Most of the top end cups have the "special thing" in both the cup and the ball. There are others that do not, they may use a s**m in the ball.

4 Final loads can be anything that will fit under the cup.
I have used billiard balls, golf balls, tennis balls, fruit, M & M's, and many others.
One of my favourites is to use two "8 balls". I tell the watchers, "You think I am using two balls don't you?" Normally they nod and agree and I then say, "Well, actually, you're close but not enough. I use eight balls." I then reveal the pool balls one after the other.

I hope that I have given you food for thought.
Best of luck with your routine, I hope it gives many hours of pleasure to you and your audiences.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Hi all!
After spending too much time with cards I am finally getting into One Cup Routine when strolling.

The routine I am now using is a "One Cup Routine" where you start out with 3 crochet balls and end with two large loads. It is a Scotty York routine with some touches of my own.
I am presenting this with a white regular espresso-cup that I've "borrowed".

I have a few questions;

(Really hoping true working strollers will chime in here.. Looking at you pepka!)

1. As long as you get two final loads under there, the stuff you do beforehand isn't as important. I like using a chop cup because it gives you a few more options, but a normal cup is fine.
2. The quality of the cup doesn't matter much. Most cups should work fine. Only difference is the look. Even cheap cups I think still look good.
3. The "special thing" is inside the cup. One of the balls is "shimmed" is guess you could say. The other ball is ungimmicked.
4. tennis balls and fruit are great. also a larger version of the crochet ball is good too.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
I'll second the larger crochet ball load. It's an awesome ending. I used to use 2 tennis balls, but now I use two large crochet balls (purchased from Rings and Things). Gets gasps!
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
"1. As long as you get two final loads under there, the stuff you do beforehand isn't as important."
I disagree. That is like saying that the quality of a meal does not matter as long as you get dessert.
Reality is a real killjoy.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
The special thing doesn't have to be inside the cup.
The ball could be a rolled up dollar bill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One cup routine when strolling (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL