The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Please take a second to answer my poll (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Adam Chance wrote:

Quote:
fighting a battle against magic exposure on the internet is a battle you just can't win. Do something more constructive with your time.

This is like saying "fighting a battle against rudeness is a waste of time.." Would you really never comment on rudeness just because it will always be with us?

Or "fighting against ignorance is a waste of time..."

Or "fighting against littering is a waste of time..."

People who run magic shops or who regularly attend magic events have more access to secrets than others and may have a bigger platform to spread information. These people are part of our in group and they CAN be affected by discussion of what is fair and what is good for magic in general.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1687 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Rare. But it happens. And it's really horrible when it directly affects a performance of a trick.

I daresay you're right, and I daresay it is; I just don't think it's ever happened to me in that way. By "that way" I'm sort of imagining someone calling out "Hey! That's a trick deck, I saw that online! The cards are sticky and back-to-back!" (Although I have had people call me on a silk-in-TT, which is why I no longer do it.) My point is, "So what if they do?" It's a magic trick. We're not curing cancer here. I may be lucky: I don't think I ever perform for the sort of people who would intentionally ruin a performance like that, or my performance style doesn't invite twattishness of that order. I dunno which. Maybe both. To us is given the joy of sharing a little amusement and wonder; who cares if a minuscule minority know how it's done?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Trying to get everyone to conform to one way of thinking I'd say is pointless.

I worry about my own behavior which is pretty much all I can handle. I don't expose or encourage exposure. I don't even belong to a club that makes me take an oath. Never needed one to tell me it is stupid to do.

The point is though that nobody is put on this earth to live up to your expectations.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Ross:

"who cares if a minuscule minority know how it's done?"

I understand we are not curing cancer. But there's a lesser range of 'things of import' between curing cancer and 'totally unimportant'.

In the grand scheme of world history and ethics, sure managing exposure is relatively trivial. But within the realistic scope of the performance arts, and within the confines of hobby, exposure is a pretty big deal - as wanton exposure can genuinely influence/ negatively affect incomes, confidence, enjoyment and wonder. And these aren't totally unimportant, hence the tradition of the Magician's Code.

Just because it only affects a minority negatively, doesn't mean we shouldn't bring it to people's attention, discuss it, monitor our own behaviour, and encourage others to do better where possible. I'm not going to go to war over it, but I see no reason to not talk about it on an appropriate web forum and discourage 'bad' behaviour via a limited amount of peer pressure.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I suggest buying a donkey and finding a Windmill.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Terrible Wizard is absolutely correct. It is nice that some one can grasp the concept that there are degrees of exposure and degrees of response.

1) Teaching a kid the 21 card trick is not the same as posting a video with detailed instructions on card to wallet.

2) Participating in a discussion on magic forum is not the same as burning someone's business down.

Danny you are generally a thoughtful poster although we sometimes disagree. If you saw someone littering would you ever say something? After all, you are never going to stop litter. Right?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Would I say something is a different question than if I would get on an internet forum and complain. Littering is also a law.

Unfortunately you are comparing apples and hand grenades.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
This forum is for the discussion of magic related issues. Posting here to discuss the issue of exposure is mundane.

But your apples and hand grenades analogy does confirm my previous post. Readers can decide if you are out of proportion or I am.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
At best we can control our own behavior. We can hope to influence others by example. As I think exposure is wrong I act as I do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3219 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Danny Doyle wrote:

Quote:
At best we can control our own behavior. We can hope to influence others by example. As I think exposure is wrong I act as I do

A very safe position.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I believe it is. I think example can be often much more persuasive than just arguing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Are you implying that those that argue don't set an example; that it has to be one or the other, rather than both together?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2288 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
There are issue's that are worth arguing about, worth getting angry about, worth going out of your way to do something about. This is not one of them. With the internet, youtube, etc., the cat is out of the bag (for those who are looking for the cat.)
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20518 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, Ken Northridge wrote:
There are issue's that are worth arguing about, worth getting angry about, worth going out of your way to do something about. This is not one of them. With the internet, youtube, etc., the cat is out of the bag (for those who are looking for the cat.)

This is kore what I was saying.

And of course you can do both.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Please take a second to answer my poll (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL