The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Specific material for the "Party" environment? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Iv been doing magic for quite a while, always working on things more for the story, the character, being flawless with moves, etc etc. But I have never really been into shock magic, or more like "OMG WHAT THE HELL" effects that you could do in a specific "party" type of environment.

Lets say something that is less formal, with lots of lights, and music, and people dancing everywhere, and its just an all out crazy night, the the wildest vegas night you have been to, or a rave or something like that... I personally don't feel like doing an ACR or coins across is really the desired "look" I would be shooting for in this type of venue. I would think something more along the lines of Combustion by Arron Jones, Pure Smoke, or heck, even UFO card haha or something like that would be more suited for this type of place.

Id just like to hear what everybody thinks would be their 2-3 go-to effects that they would choose to do if they were there, and just wanted to freak people out, play with the girls that are partying and get around all the hectic music / noise , lights, dancing and craziness pretty much?

Id love to hear what you guys would choose to do to blow people away in this not so ideal venue.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1436 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Patrick Kun has a killer DVD out where he does exactly that. He's roaming through a night club with loud music, and doing quick visual effects with cards. Great stuff.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......trified/
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
That's something Ill check out, I was hoping to get some ideas that sort of break free of the typical card, coin, sponge balls, etc type of effects.

Pure smoke
Electric touch
Combustion

Some of the more "nontraditional" type of magic...
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2963 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Finger ring/string effects (Greg Wilson-Diamond Jim Tyler)
Ring Flight
Richard Sanders Ring to Shoe-Lace
Messado Rings
There are some great card effects that aren't typical...Don't overlook
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
I feel like linking rings wouldn't work and/or feel organic in that situation.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
David this is on the right trak.

Frank, I agree with you... Im trying to find less "Traditional" routines, and go for the more shocking, physical, mental, Holly crap type of stuff Smile Just need to get the juices flowing for ideas.

Please keep em coming!

Thanks!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2963 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
I feel like linking rings wouldn't work and/or feel organic in that situation.


I disagree...The smaller rings like the Ninja or Messado are visual, interactive with one or more people, you don't need to verbally communicate and can pack a wallop.

I performed these as part of my set at corporate company Christmas parties as well as a casino and the reactions were great. Just my opinion.

Also Hot Rod...2 dollar window... a Bill switch.
Frank Balzerak's DVD "Magic for Humans" has a great routine called Sweet Flash where you ignite a small piece of flash paper that turns into a gold chocolate coin that can be given away to one or more spectators. Greg Wilson's On the Spot Dvd's are great resources for effects that are not your normal fare.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I get the most of shocked reactions on
Color changes, vanishes and transformations

But I have to say that timing the revelation can be the more important factor.
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
I feel like linking rings wouldn't work and/or feel organic in that situation.


I disagree...The smaller rings like the Ninja or Messado are visual, interactive with one or more people, you don't need to verbally communicate and can pack a wallop.

I performed these as part of my set at corporate company Christmas parties as well as a casino and the reactions were great. Just my opinion.

Also Hot Rod...2 dollar window... a Bill switch.
Frank Balzerak's DVD "Magic for Humans" has a great routine called Sweet Flash where you ignite a small piece of flash paper that turns into a gold chocolate coin that can be given away to one or more spectators. Greg Wilson's On the Spot Dvd's are great resources for effects that are not your normal fare.



Agreed at corporate party they would work. But this is a more casual environment. Layman would be like," Why does he have those with him?"
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
If it was a rave (which I would hate to try and perform at considering all the people on extacy) or a raging party maybe some flash cigarettes might come in handy. You could use these to make other things "appear" and create a little routine. Say, light a flash cigarette and go into a D'lite routine if it's dark enough.

Another for the ladies might be flash paper flower to real flower, etc.

A bottle or shot glass production

And I'm tired so now I'm thinking of just plain silly ideas...

"Pull off" your finger and then quickly replace it to the astonishment of the spectators. Smile Smile Smile

If all else fails go up to a group of beautiful women and yell over the music at the top of your lungs, "EXCUSE ME, DID SOMEONE DROP A WHITE KNIFE?!!!" Then, once you have their attention, you're golden.

Smile
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
I feel like linking rings wouldn't work and/or feel organic in that situation.


I disagree...The smaller rings like the Ninja or Messado are visual, interactive with one or more people, you don't need to verbally communicate and can pack a wallop.

I performed these as part of my set at corporate company Christmas parties as well as a casino and the reactions were great. Just my opinion.

Also Hot Rod...2 dollar window... a Bill switch.
Frank Balzerak's DVD "Magic for Humans" has a great routine called Sweet Flash where you ignite a small piece of flash paper that turns into a gold chocolate coin that can be given away to one or more spectators. Greg Wilson's On the Spot Dvd's are great resources for effects that are not your normal fare.



Agreed at corporate party they would work. But this is a more casual environment. Layman would be like," Why does he have those with him?"



Exactly. For this specific thread, and this specific demographic, "traditional" effects would be perceived as cheesy and sort of dorky or bland, I am looking for effects that pop and pull your image into more of the "cool guy" theme, flash paper is a perfect example. Stuff that is both mentally and visually exciting and "edgy". In any other venue, I would disagree with myself, but for this, and specifically what I am looking for, for these people, needs to be something.. Different.

Think back to the movie The Prestige, When Christian Bale is doing linking rings in front of the crowd and they are all quiet and sort of like... "This is stupid".. Then he gets frustrated and pulls out the gun for the bullet catch and points it at the audience and says "Is this what you came for?!" then everyone starts going nuts. That is kind of the "Essence" that I am talking about... The rings were "cheesy" and uninteresting, and the gun was cool, new, dangerous, exciting, and capturing. That would probably be the best way to explain my thinking of what I am trying to get away from, and what I am trying to find.

Hope that makes some sense.

Keep it coming! Just keep the "rave" theme in mind.

Thanks!
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
The best trick I performed in a night club was definitely the ninja rings as mentioned above. The bartenders were in awe behind me too. Then later on, I performed it in the centre of a "dance circle" to great applause.
However, I was paid to do the gig and it was semi-formal. (Think lots of students wearing smart casual, but still being drunk and dancing).

D'lites go over great on a dance floor and you can really have fun with them. When drunks are a bit easier to misdirect, I've had girls feel my empty hands before producing more lights - really fools those "in the know".

My one coin routine has been performed in every conceivable condition (except under water, but one day...)
This can be made incredibly interactive with body loading, and also just vanishing it in one person's arm and pulling it out someone else's.
Plus the muscle pass is very visual and gets attention quick. But you've got to be a reasonable level with coins to do one well.

I've used turbo stick too, although it's hard to make clear about the number of crosses. Lee Smith's routine with lighters would probably be better.

Bill switch would be great, but wouldn't use borrowed money with drunks. I turn a £10 receipt into £10 instead.

If I could do it, levitations with loops would be good.


The main thing when performing on a dance floor is great miming skills.
I actually prefer events where it's too loud to talk. I can make funnier faces and exagerated expressions to convey meaning, which would look out of place in a more formal environment.
AlexanderS
View Profile
New user
Austria
16 Posts

Profile of AlexanderS
A few months ago I had a gig in a nightclub. Basically the music was so loud that you couldn't understand a word.

The top 3 were:

- Started with a little PK Demo using loops, went on to a flying finger ring, then a ringflight with a flash paper vanish of the fingerring.
The spectators went nuts!

- I also used D'Lights like David and as he said you can misdirect easily.

- In the early morning when there were only a few people left in the club I perfomerd the floating rose. You need a lot of spectator management for this one in a club where people are running around, but it is possible.



Has somebody tried doing a silent chop cup routine? I'm planning doing one, but I have to do some serious thinking before I guess. Smile

Your's,
Alexander
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Burn notice works well in this scene. I would also use a frixion pen effect. Flash paper effects like "warning" or "in a flash". Maybe even delites. What ever it is it would have to be a trick that is self explanatory as the music may be too loud to hear I you patter. My 2 cents.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2015, Magic Patrick wrote:
Burn notice works well in this scene. I would also use a frixion pen effect. Flash paper effects like "warning" or "in a flash". Maybe even delites. What ever it is it would have to be a trick that is self explanatory as the music may be too loud to hear I you patter. My 2 cents.


Awesome, thank you for making some suggestions. I will check some of them out and see what I like.

The replies are starting to head in the right direction!

Thank you for the suggestions thus far. Please keep them coming. This is really helping to get the ball rolling on my thought process.

Much appreciated.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I would still love to hear some more of your guys suggestions Smile Its very helpful.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1181 Posts

Profile of imgic
On YouTube search for "Markus Zink"

He's German magician that does some things along the lines of what you're looking for. His act is on stage but should give you some inspiration...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Specific material for the "Party" environment? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL