The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is it worth it (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yes it is! I don't the actions of others define me or my art, I just live it, love, and make it better. Also check out my essay I wrote back in 2003 "Is Magic Really Worth It?" http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=27#29

Also "Retirement Home Shows" http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#4 where I talk about making the day of many elderly folks who also love magic and can't get enough, and for many it is their absolute favorite form of entertainment! And of course the kids and their reactions are what also make magic truly worth it! No one other than magicians care about idiots exposing magic on Youtube. Laymen do no care, nor do they have the time or interest to go to Youtube and search for secrets. They have their own lives and hobbies. Magicians tend me be overly paranoid and self-centered though. So we think the whole work is constantly out to get us and find out all of our secrets. The reality most do not care, unless they are already tried magic or have an interest. Other than that they don't care and will never find anything, nor go searching for it.

I base my worth on the fact that I have done magic for 35 years now professionally, and that I continue to have a huge positive impact on people, and love what I do. Not because a few ungrateful, spoiled, kids on Youtube exposed magic that came easily to them. They will never know the true meaning of magic, and how hard it was to gain entry back in the old days. So they are only cheating and fooling themselves. Most just crave attention with exposure because they can't perform, or are too scared to perform. Probably both.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
CRash5150
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of CRash5150
Whats wrong with filming yourself, posting it on Youtube and using that as a card reveal? I'm sure it's been done, but that could be kinda cool.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Good one Crash! I never thought of that! I like your thinking. Smile

Doug
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Warren,

I hear ya! Things have changed over the years. However, I think it forces us to not be lazy with our magic.

I, for one, have taken a few tacks regarding this:

1. I do more magic without gaffs. Effects that require real skill. For example, I do McDonald's Aces without any gaff cards. If they are aware of McDonald's Aces, they will be surprised so see that they can examine the cards.

2. I focus on the entertainment. If an effect is entertaining, funny, engaging, without the magic, people will just enjoy it.

3. I incorporate a variety of things, such as fun readings and even a bit of juggling.

Remember, magic is NOT about the secrets. It's about engaging with people.

KJ
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I feel your pain brother. However, I will never abandon my art
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I come from an era where the biggest thieves in magic were magicians who watch other magicians perform then steal their whole entire act, or just parts of it. Before my time magicians used to hire spies to find out how a competitor magician performed certain illusions and tricks.

When sites like Ellusionist first appeared I remember several magicians saying this was bad for magic. Once they seen the money that could be made, they changed their minds and decided to jump on the train. Some have made a really good second income from selling magic while some struggle with it because they have no business sense. Some with no business sense have no idea what consumer laws are and quite frankly don't care about consumer rights because they are greedy and dishonest. They would have you believe that you have no rights as a consumer.

It's not the enemy down the street we need to worry about, it's the enemy inside the house which is the real threat.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2015, silvercup wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2015, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Quote:
There is no right answer.
To each his/her own.
Why impose your values on another?

I don't feel the OP was imposing values- simply asking a good question. My personal experience has included a gradual disinfatuation with practicing magic for the very reason mentioned. When a spec is more interested in using their iPhone to find out "how it was done" than watching the show, it takes a lot of pleasure out of performing. I have eliminated many effects from my performance list due to this very issue. I have moved to more of a comedy routine due to this issue. I spend much more time practicing classical guitar as well...

I was commenting on Danny's initial post.

Also if a spectator is more interested in looking up the effect in the iPhone perhaps it is up to the performer to be more engaging.

A person interested in what is happening and fully engaged in the show will not be doing this. It is a problem for the performer to solve, not something to blame spectators for.

I enjoy performing. BUT in the end it is not about me and what I like. Rather it is about the audience and what I owe them for showing up. Me liking performing never enters into the equation once the show starts.

All these things are a result of a disinterested audience. If it happens regularly then it is not the audience at fault but the performer. It is our job to engage the audience. Blaming then for not being engaged seems short sighted.

It also depends on where and why toy ate doing magic tricks. I am speaking of a professional show. I do not speak about doing tricks for family or friends or at a bar or what not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is no right answer.
To each his/her own.
Why impose your values on another?

I don't feel the OP was imposing values- simply asking a good question. My personal experience has included a gradual disinfatuation with practicing magic for the very reason mentioned. When a spec is more interested in using their iPhone to find out "how it was done" than watching the show, it takes a lot of pleasure out of performing. I have eliminated many effects from my performance list due to this very issue. I have moved to more of a comedy routine due to this issue. I spend much more time practicing classical guitar as well...

I was commenting on Danny's initial post.

What view did I impose exactly? My fires is you read my post wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Russell is right on. There are a few realities built into youtube that keep it from being the problem it could be. Yes, a LOT of magic is exposed there, finding an individual thing when you don’t have an identifying search term is a lot harder. Plus, I think the shear amount of material helps keep things is buried (the very reason magicians can still get fooled with material out Tarbell). There tens of thousands (millions? gajillions?) of magic videos. No one is going to go through that many of them.

But more than that is Russell’s last point. I am reminded of the story the founder of Johnson Products tells about having Fred Kapps come to a table where he was sitting and blow them away with some coin magic….only to later find out he was fooled by some of his own gaffs.

Sure, it’s a drag to have to alter or move on from cherished material, but if more “knowledgeable” spectators force us to keep sharper, that’s not a bad thing.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2015, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
When a spec is more interested in using their iPhone to find out "how it was done" than watching the show, it takes a lot of pleasure out of performing.

Bingo! 100% agree!

Doug

While that is true, it has never been a pleasure performing for people like that. Also, if they are on their iPhone trying to "find out" instead of watching the show, then my first concern would not be the spectator, but why is my show not entertaining them enough to keep their attention. I can understand people wanting to try to find out how it was done after the show, but if it happens during the show then either the person is trying to get attention for himself by telling everyone how it was done, or the person is just bored.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Well, some people are just like that. More interested in finding out "How" and then letting folks around them know ho9w "smart" they are. Hey, you'll get all types in your audience. Gotta take the bad/bored/PITA with the good!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is it worth it (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL