The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Age? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well I got my interest from Mark Wilson's Time for Magic show on a local Dallas station in the early 1950's, I was probably about 4 then. I was about 6 before I actually started doing any tricks. My first were from some promo give aways from one of Mark's local grocery story promotional performances, then my big entry when I got a Mark Wilson Magic Set from Tiches Dept. Store in Dallas (I later found out that Mark and Nani put these kits together in their apt. in Dallas). In fact Mark and Nani were there when I got the kit and it was the first time I ever shook Mark Wilson's hand (and thought I had just met the most important person in the world).
Add to this, I've had opportunity to study under some truly fantastic magicians, such as Dai Vernon, and of course "uncle" Harry Blackstone, Sr. And in spite of my early entry into magic and my many vast years of practice and experience, at 54 I'm still not a "great magician". So I think age has little to do with it. The truly great develop a passion for magic. A passion that drives them to work harder, risk more, try harder, and keep trying harder than the rest of us. I have a love for magic, but I doubt that I would go out and risk my lively hood on say getting a network TV series of magic. I darn sure wouldn't go to the extreme of having to take out loans and still be paying them off 5 years after the show went of the air to do it. Uncle Harry had to borrow money to get his show on the road each year. There were many times when the next booking was not certain at all. My granddad, who owned a diner, touted feeding Uncle Harry and company more than one meal when they treked through on the way to Buffalo to perform. (And complained a lot about a loan he made to him to buy an elephant, that turned out was some con man taking uncle harry for some bucks). Oh uncle harry always paid the loans back. But the point is, to become great he had to do a lot of sacrifice that most of us won't do. So has every magician who made it to the "Big Time". Show business is a very risky, highly competetive business. The few who make it to the top do so because they have a driving passion to do what they do. Mark Wilson knocked on a lot of doors and got a lot of them slammed in his face to get Magic Land of Alakazam on the Air. The fact that there has never been another network series is proof that no one else has had that kind of drive to accomplish that.
Starting age has nothing to do with it, be you Houdini, Blackstone, Wilson, Copperfield, Thurston, Dante, Penn and Teller, or Lance Burton. It is a drive, a passion, that keeps overcoming any and every obstacle in your way. Same with any pro athelete, or world champion be it in sports, entertainment, academics, or industry.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
I got into magic when I was 21 nothing to serious few card tricks and coin tricks but now at 24 years of age I am deadly serious about magic I put at least 5 hours of practice in
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I was 27.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
178 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
I'm 23 and I started 1 years ago but I luv magic since I was a kid but I didn't have the chance to get any magic kit. and I had no one to teach me magic until I foud a website with a lot of set of DVD, and this how I started Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I like Malak's post regarding Robert Houdin and Eugene Burger as both didn't start until later in life. I also know of one very successful magician that is currently recognized amongst magic circles and has appeared all over the world. He won a major competion a mere two years after he started magic, then was asked to perform at the Castle, the rest was history. I won't name him as he has many effects on the market and people assume he's been doing magic forever. That shouldn't be a factor in our thinking, but I'll let him decide if he wants to identify himself.

I believe some people just have that natural talent and flair and can surpass their peers even if those peers have been into magic much longer. So perhaps it's not the age you start, but perseverence and dedication, and believing in oneself.

My magic ring has such an assortment of ages, ranging from age 15 to 92, our oldest member. Some ole timers took up the hobby when they retired, some started young and gave it up for a while, only to return to it later in life. I would say age isn't a factor in answer to the question first asked.

Chrystal
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cal
128 Posts

Profile of milamber
My initial exposure to magic (that I really remember) was when I was around 9 or 10 years old.

My family used to own a 'summer house' where we spent our summer vacations. Our 'neighbor' during the summer was an elderly man who used to show us coin magic. I used to pester him to death until he showed me some basic sleights... I remember practicing them over and over and proudly perform them for him the following year. He kept encouraging me, so I kept practicing... Smile

I also spent my hard earned pocket-money on packet tricks, as well as some 'cups and balls' (the plastic kind), and some basic magic kits. At 14 or so I received "The Royal Road to Card Magic" as a gift and faithfully worked my way through it.

I stopped doing magic as I entered High School as I got more involved with Music, Martial Arts... and girls.

A couple of years ago, at the age of 32, I showed my Godson (who was 4 at the time) some basic sleights with crayons (based on the coin sleights I learned as a kid)... he thought it was fantastic. And needless to say he kept asking me for more 'magic', which made me start looking for some simple effects. By the way he still swears that I know 'real' magic. Smile

Over the past six months I started to get more serious and worked my way through RRtCM again (along with some DVDs) and am now working my way through "Bobo's Modern Coin Magic" and "Card College vol.1". I still consider myself very much a beginner, but love every minute of it.

Steve
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
I was 7 or 8.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
As one who got involved at age 49, I have to say: DON'T DO IT!!! These old bones have a hard time keeping up with all these young whippersnappers in the business.

*jeep!
--Chet ("Youth is wasted on all the wrong people!")
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
Zoom!
Actually some audiences would prefer an older performer. It depends on the crowd. Older people like a older magician, and they want them to perform for their kids too.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
It's odd, I'm 53 and the places that I get the warmest responses are, believe it or not, college bars. I started doing magic at a young age and left it in high school for a bit and picked it up in mid-college again.

So, if you are in the Chicago area and a short, portly guy with a salt & pepper beard and a solar panel on the back of his head where the hair used to be (I'm hard of seeing and hair-ing impaired) wanders up to your table, it's probably me. Say "Hi" and mention the Café.

I'll probably run away, screaming. Smile

Kidding!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
I'm 19. I have always been into magic ever since I was a little kid. I got my first magic set too long ago to remember. The first real trick I ever got was Scotch and Soda about 5 years ago. I just started getting real serious about magic last year.

Jim
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I started when I was 10. I grew to know the right people and learned from many magicians quickly about advertising myself and principals of tricks and illusions. I knew several magicians each who specialized in different fields (one was close-up, one was kidshows, one was stage, etc.) I learned majorly from all of them. I am glad I got to know them, because I know that I would not be where I am today without them. I have been performing shows on my own for nearly 5 years now and loving every minute of it. I started advertising and performing my shows at age 12. My parents had to drive me to my shows because I did not have a license. And I thank them for it. I started being booked through a bank for a program they were running at age 15. The program booked shows constantly and was a way for me to earn a little more money aside from all the shows that I was booking myself. I can perform for any audience or occasion, but I specialize in kidshows. All of those contacts I mentioned believe that I will be one of the big names in kidshows when I get older because of my methods and routine structures. They say I am already on my way. I can only hope so...that is a great dream of mine.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Nick Az
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Nick Az
I got into magic when I was in high school some time. It was probably from seeing Lance Burton or the masked magician. I picked up Mark Wilson's book and then got made fun of a few times and let it go. Then I saw something on the internet about six months ago and picked it back up. I ordered Royal Road to Card Magic and Bobo's and haven't really stopped buying and playing around since.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2820 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I am 30 years old, will be 31 in a few weeks. I've only become seriously interested in magic during the last few years and now perform professionally on occasion. Of course, there was always a slight interest in magic- I think everyone has that. There's always been a serious interest in performing for me, though. I say seize the day! You can't go back. Make the most of the Present. If magic is what you want to do, do it now. If you want something, you have to go after it to make it happen. A very wise man and very dear friend of mine, also a magician, once told me, "Only YOU can make it happen." Take it to heart.
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
https://magicalaurieblog.wordpress.com/
elasmac
View Profile
New user
Bristol, VA
54 Posts

Profile of elasmac
Well let's see. I'm 11 years old now and started magic when I was 5. I wouldn't call myself a beginner. Wait a second... sorry this thread is for beginners! Sorry, I'm leaving now.
There are three things I love in life. Family and friends and magic. So I love doing magic for friends and family.

Smile
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
This is not really just a thread for beginners...It is a place for beginners to ask questions.
Kyle Jarrard

Fescue
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fescue
I picked up a small book about card tricks to read during a trip with my family last Thanksgiving (2004). When we returned I found Mark Wilson's "Complete Course..." in a bookstore and then visited a local magic shop. I was shown a card effect that made my "time" stand still; it was wonderful!

I have been studying and practicing now for 8 months and every time I see progress I get a little younger, more enthusiastic, and happy. I just turned 53.
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
I was 14
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Started seriously at age 10, almost 18 now.

Age has just recently payed a toll of "suspected experience" in my hometown though. A fair has just begun in my hometown and the chairmen of entertaiment hired a magician that lives 4 hours away to do 5 shows at this fair over a period of one weekend, which they will be paying out the butt for. They could have just hired me but somebody who talked to the chairmen said that they looked down upon me and my experience because I am still in high school! Yet I am booked for every other event and festival around my area and even further off in some cases! They could have hired me much cheaper than the guy they have got primarily because I live in the same county and I would not have to charge for hotel costs and food like the guy they hired!

I have recieved several phone calls from past clients who are upset as well because they thought it would be me performing at the fair until I told them the county hired somebody that lives way off! It is a pretty poor way to do business especially since nobody here has ever seen this guy perform before! His name popped up during a search of Georgian magicians that was conducted at the county office and they choes to hire him!
Kyle Jarrard

pvhoutten
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of pvhoutten
I must have been about 14
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Age? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL