The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Lasso Card Trick (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3261 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Idea: put the whole deck in the loop. Now shake the rope. One card us left. The chosen one.

This reminds me of Berg's Gallows Rope Trick without the endearing prop. Smile

Julie
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2551 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
There’s something about this trick that has always left me immensely underwhelmed. I’ve never performed it (and never will) and I think the effect is completely lame. However I can’t quite identify why.

It might be because as a magical feat I just don’t buy it. The fact it happens out of sight in a bag doesn’t help for sure but why it feels less real to me than a myriad of other magic tricks eludes me. (For instance stabbing the bag with a knife and impaling the selected card can look great to me.... and the solving a Rubik’s Cube in a paper bag can seem completely miraculous irrespective of the fact that it is no more magical... and is in fact arguably much less magical)

It could be because there’s too many magic things happening at once and they end up treading on each other’s toes... the selected card is being found and the rope is somehow tying itself into a knot and that knot is getting looped onto the found card and only the found card. (Perhaps this is the cause of my not ‘getting’ this trick? But it seems likely there are other reasonsinvolved too.... I just can’t pin-point them)

Anyway whatever the reason or reasons I have always thought this to be a really bad magic effect. And I’m guessing from the reaction of the assisting spectator in this video advertising the trick I’m not alone. Smile

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19700
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7934 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Neal! I think that "thee and me", agree!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3261 Posts

Profile of Julie
BOO! We do a version utilizing a skeleton-back deck, an orange ribbon and a spooky box ("Haunted House") from the Dollar Store. It always goes over well...

Scary Julie

P.S.> Also we've adapted the same routine/handling to a similar sized CHRISTMAS box, a red ribbon and holiday-backed deck from the same Dollar Store. Long live the Dollar Store!
note: both of these boxes are constructed like little houses with a pointed roof lid.

Julie the Elf Smile
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2551 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I am total agreement wih the sentiment of ‘long live the Dollar Store’ but I suspect your target audience are kids and that’s a different ball game entirely from working with an adult audience.
Neal Austin

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3261 Posts

Profile of Julie
Dear Sealegs

The "effect" (see what I did there Dick? Smile) plays well for both kids and adults. Based upon years of performing the difference is definitely in the presentation. Adults like to have fun, too!

Julie
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2551 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Dear Julie,

Saying this trick plays well for adults carries the same weight as me saying this trick doesn’t play well for adults so neither statement on its own is particularly useful or meaningful.

While I agree with you that presentation can make or break how a trick is received I find it pertinent that the video being used to sell a version of this trick and which one might surmise is showing it in its best light, shows it eliciting zero response from the spectator. This is a reaction that compares favourably with all the presentations I have seen of this trick.

However I am genuinely delighted for you if your presentation is the exception to this.😎
Neal Austin

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3261 Posts

Profile of Julie
[quote]On Jun 19, 2018, Sealegs wrote:
Dear Julie,

Saying this trick plays well for adults carries the same weight as me saying this trick doesn’t play well for adults so neither statement on its own is particularly useful or meaningful...

Well, my friend, I have no reason to tell you something that is not true. If you have difficulty connecting with an adult audience that situation may be remedied through diligence and real world exposure.

I will share with you that we do not use a loop in the ribbon. Depending upon the performing situation, there will be either a binder clip or (for adult audiences) an alligator clip (with an appropriate "adult" comment which I will not share with you).

That is the TRUTH Smile
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2551 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Until you pointed it out It hadn’t even occurred to me that there might be a reason why I’m failing, with a trick I don’t perform, to connect with the (non-existent) audience that I’m not performing it to.

Even more bizarre is the remedy to this Lewis Carroll like situation lies in ‘real world exposure’.

Thanks Julie, that was a hilarious post 😆
Neal Austin

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Lasso Card Trick (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL