The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index New to magic? Need help with glimps and key card. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Hi!

As new member here, Im as many others new to magic an old guy, finding a great love again Smile and as many have done, I did buy me The Royal Road to Card Magic. Then I did buy me a brick of really expensive Bicycle Seconds ($30) to use when I train my sleights. As I live in Sweden we dont know what a Bicycle Deck is more or less. A standard deck in Sweden is a bridge seizes deck. So getting a poker sized deck in my hand was a bit of a struggle, but its ok now. Smile

So over to my problem. When reading the book pager 65 in my version, you should glimpse the top card. Im have problem with that cant get it to work, but even if I get it to work I will never see anything for Im left handed having the deck in my right hand, all I will see is some white part of the card. Is there any other way of glimpsing the top card that I can use?

Second: In the part of key cards page 80 you should slide the key card, cant get it to work its like all the other cards a glued to that card. After reading the topic of Geoff Weber about Card magic skills (great topic) I have the same problem with Hofzinser cull force that I really like to learn this so any tips is great.
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
I love how magicians always use bicycle cards. Yes, they work, and yes, we can get the extra cards we like to go with them. BUT to your audience, they aren't the usual cards - so why not get a nice swedish deck, printed properly with the indices on all four corners (like we have in the UK too) - I have the same problem as I'm right handed but can be left for somethings - and cards is one of those things! BUT amend it to glimpse bottom card - that often works - and is what I use to get a quick key card when cutting the deck - they take "top" card cut to whilst I peek for my key. As to sliding cards, fanning powder (zinc stearate) may help. NOT that I profess to be a card expert!
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
K, will look in to the the powder Smile, What brand of decks do you have in UK? for the normal deck in sweden is bridge size and that's no point to go there.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3587 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Timtom,

For the glimpse, you could overhand shuffle the top card to the bottom, glimpse the bottom card and then back to the top, or if you just need to glimpse any top card, just shuffle the bottom card to the top. Another way is to spread the cards to show the audience and glimpse the top card if it doesn't matter if they see it. Another way is to turn the deck over to comment about the bottom card and slide the deck forward as you turn it back.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the cards not sliding. Is it because of where you live? I don't have any problem with cards not sliding unless I am working with a very old deck. In that case, throw out your deck and get a new one.

As for the cull, it might be best to go to a magic shop and ask someone there to show you.

KJ
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Thanks KJ

Thanks for the great tips on the glimpse Its so obvious when you say it Smile

For the steal and gliding of the bottom card, its when I first try to take the card its like a couple of card will move with it before it let go and you can start sliding card and I get a lot of movement of the bottom part of the deck that looks weird for anyone that looks at it.
For the Hofzinser cull its the same, to get that card free from the deck so I can start moving it.

I use new decks and my so called training decks.
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
I also live in Sweden, and the standard Swedish deck is a bridge size, plastic kind of rubbish that neither look good or is easy to manipulate. A thumb fan is out of the question, and even when using a pressure fan, the fan will seldom look good.

I think there are many advantages in using bicycle cards. First and foremost, the quality is good and they look nice. Second, almost every gaff out there is made to work with bicycles. Its the magic business standard, like it or not. Sure, they are a little more expensive, but I think its worth it.
FREE TRAINING FOR PERFORMERS ---> https://www.performersecrets.com

My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly. Would love to help you get there too!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I act as if I'm streightening out the deck to glimpse the bottom. With the cards sticking it sounds like a bad deck or you may be using to much preasure
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Andre: I know a nice Bicycle is a most Smile but it allwas fun to find new nice decks.

Thanks Kyoki
I think you nailed it with the preasure, I think I did put to much preasure on it so now I have to work to make the slide looks good. thanks again. Smile
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1880 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Couple of thoughts:

Practice doing at least a couple of good tricks with the Swedish decks. If you are ever handed a deck and asked to do something you want to be ready for it.

There are left handed glimpses. Ian Rowland has one in his lecture notes.

Make sure your hands are not too dry. When I have trouble with cards or thimbles or balls it is almost always because my skin is all dried out. I live in Alaska and it seems like I am always dried out. Good lotion (I like Neutrogena) is vital.

Patrick
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, Mr. Woolery wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

Practice doing at least a couple of good tricks with the Swedish decks. If you are ever handed a deck and asked to do something you want to be ready for it.

There are left handed glimpses. Ian Rowland has one in his lecture notes.

Make sure your hands are not too dry. When I have trouble with cards or thimbles or balls it is almost always because my skin is all dried out. I live in Alaska and it seems like I am always dried out. Good lotion (I like Neutrogena) is vital.

Patrick

Thanks for the tips Smile all of them.

For now Im thinking of learning 5-7 Self Working that I can use on my Fam and friends to build confidence. Then I can practis on my sleights alote more before showing them anything with sleights.

I think I do all the mistakes there is Smile, I test it on my Wife and it works like a sharm. Take it out and test it on friends and I do all the bloomer you can think of Smile
Bogbadger
View Profile
Elite user
Hookland
477 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Hi Timtom, at 45 and getting back into magic via the Royal Road I know exactly what you are going through. Self workers are a real confidence builder, I use Tamariz "Neither Blind Nor Stupid" as an opener with a slightly ammended ending which I take straight into "Out Of This World." An ID or BW deck in a pocket as an emergency safety net when it all goes wrong helps too.
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2015, Bogbadger wrote:
Hi Timtom, at 45 and getting back into magic via the Royal Road I know exactly what you are going through. Self workers are a real confidence builder, I use Tamariz "Neither Blind Nor Stupid" as an opener with a slightly ammended ending which I take straight into "Out Of This World." An ID or BW deck in a pocket as an emergency safety net when it all goes wrong helps too.

Neither blind nor stupid looks great that one I will use, Smile. And I have orded Scarne on Card Tricks hope to find some nice ones in that book.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Elite user
Hookland
477 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
No problem Timtom, I also highly recommend Phoenix as a really good quality card brand with great handling and definately no sticking. Their m****d decks are also fantastic for both left and right handers and will do away with the need for glimpsing the top card, just read it!
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
I will try to get some Phoenix when Im out of Bicycle Smile, They are hard to get in Sweden. Its not that its sticky its more the weight of the card that I get a movment of the deck I don't like.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index New to magic? Need help with glimps and key card. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL