We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Martinka Coin Club (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
Dana Magic Creations
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Dana Magic Creations
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, RCP wrote:
I am done as well. Paypal disputes filled and recurring payment cancelled.

You want to call PayPal and have your dispute, escalated to a claim, that is what I did, and they refunded payments immediately.
PayPal advised that was the best way to go in this situation
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2106 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, Dana Magic Creations wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, RCP wrote:
I am done as well. Paypal disputes filled and recurring payment cancelled.

You want to call PayPal and have your dispute, escalated to a claim, that is what I did, and they refunded payments immediately.
PayPal advised that was the best way to go in this situation

I have already received refunds even though I only placed an inquiry. Apparently PayPal has flagged this as a problem account. Ted wrote me a nice email and acted surprised I had cancelled.
I don't know what to think. I have seen more than one well intentioned merchant here get into trouble meeting their promises.
I wish Ted the best....I have moved on.
osterloh69
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of osterloh69
The last time I was auto-billed for a coin club release was on May 22nd, 2016. At least they have stopped billing for future releases when they are months behind schedule. According to the members update area, at the end of June, they decided to skip over the release named "Poke" (due to a setback which requires re-making a component) and move on to the next release named "Ringo." The release date for the latest effect is slated to ship "in about a week."
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2106 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, osterloh69 wrote:
The last time I was auto-billed for a coin club release was on May 22nd, 2016. At least they have stopped billing for future releases when they are months behind schedule. According to the members update area, at the end of June, they decided to skip over the release named "Poke" (due to a setback which requires re-making a component) and move on to the next release named "Ringo." The release date for the latest effect is slated to ship "in about a week."

I was billed for June and July and as of last night there was not any update. I really hope Ted gets his act together. It's clearly a disorganized mess at this point.
martinka
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of martinka
Hi Guys, Our latest release, "Ringo" is complete and we will begin shipments within the next week. The issues with "Poke" have been worked out and that one is nearly finished. We also have two more releases on the bench and are making good progress. We are working hard to speed up the prototyping, sourcing and manufacturing process and do appreciate your patience. The comments and reviews on the releases shipped so far have been great and I hope folks enjoy our next batch just as much.

If you have questions about the club, the best way to reach us is via the club email or the contact form on our website. Ted
www.martinka.com

"Buying & Selling Magic for over 100 Years"
martinka
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of martinka
RCP: We received your inquiry as a paypal dispute, that is why we issued you a refund, if you still want the releases, email us and we will work it out for you.
Dana: We received your email requesting a refund on Saturday and we processed the refund on Sunday.

FrankHorng: We have not released "George" outside of the club, so the only way to get one is as a member or from a member. Please contact us via the website for more info.
www.martinka.com

SydBeckman
View Profile
Elite user
Tennessee
474 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
It seems to me - given that fact that the shipments are not moving as quickly as promised or advertised, they should bill when shipped. Being 6 months behind isn't just a poor business practice it is more than that. Ted mentions that Ringo will ship next week.

On his website he previously said the same thing over a month ago. "Update - June 30th, 2016 - We encountered a little set back with Poke, so we now have to remake one of the components. We are going to skip over it and release Ringo which should begin shipping in about a week...."

So the "week" Ted references has been a month. Now, again, he promises a week.

He says above "We are working hard to speed up the prototyping, sourcing and manufacturing process..." He made a similar claim in March: "We now have several effects in process and expect things to speed up release wise. We also added a few more machines to the shop, so will have some new capabilities to bring to future releases."

It was a nice idea but the execution and communication has been less than stellar. When I say execution I mean delivery - I am not referencing the effects themselves.
Syd
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2106 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, martinka wrote:
RCP: We received your inquiry as a paypal dispute, that is why we issued you a refund, if you still want the releases, email us and we will work it out for you.
Dana: We received your email requesting a refund on Saturday and we processed the refund on Sunday.

FrankHorng: We have not released "George" outside of the club, so the only way to get one is as a member or from a member. Please contact us via the website for more info.

Ted, thank you for the prompt and professional manner in which you refunded my 6 unfulfilled coin club shipments. As I told you privately, I do appreciate the unforeseen difficulties a project of this size can face but to be 6 (soon to be 7) releases behind just became a problem I no longer wished.

I emailed you via the PayPal resolution center to inquire what plan you had to come current with the releases. I got no response back from you until after I had received a refund.

As you asked let me state "To my knowledge there are no issues between Martinka's account and PayPal." While disappointed at how slow the releases have been you have resolved this matter with me to my satisfaction.

I wish you continued success.

Craig
SydBeckman
View Profile
Elite user
Tennessee
474 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
I want to followup to my post. After my post I received an email from Ted. He addressed what I asked him in an email and was polite and professional. I hope this kind of communcation will continue with all club members because - at least to me - that keeps us informed and not feeling left out in the cold (so to speak).

As for me - I am going to continue my membership for now.

Thank you Ted.
Syd
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3570 Posts

Profile of emyers99
New release arrived yesterday. Metamorphosis type routine involving a half dollar, key ring and a small black bag. Cute routine. Props are well made and combine three different principles. Even includes a neat black art illusion. At the end, everything can be examined.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4099 Posts

Profile of videoman
So I figured I should probably check on this (finally!!!) as I hadn't been keeping track at all of payments vs. shipments.
After a quick glance on PayPal I seem to have been charged 21 times and I believe I have received 11 shipments.

So that creates 3 main concerns.

1. If I am correct, and I could be off one or two but I think it's correct, then Martinka is 10 shipments behind. Because the shipments seem to be coming slower rather than quicker it doesn't look like there is much chance of them catching up. I mean realistically they would have to start shipping new ones every couple weeks to have any chance of catching up in the near future.

2. Although it's fun to receive these "surprises" in the mail, I honestly don't use any, or very few, of the effects. They are more of a novelty to me than actual workers.

3. This is in reality costing me a lot more per effect than I had been promised in the initial agreement.

So I may have to stop the bleeding. I think Martinka really needs to do the honorable thing and stop charging until a product ships. I don't know the legalities but I believe what they are doing actually constitutes an illegal business practice. In just about any other industry this would be considered a scam. I cut them some slack because they are fellow magi's and I wanted to support what I thought to be a fun and novel idea. The problem is that I don't think they can stop charging and still keep producing. They seem to be borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Someone (Ted Bogusta?) needs to wave the white flag and surrender and start issuing apologies along with refunds.
If I sound a bit upset, actually I'm really not. I'm just disappointed because I really wanted this idea to work and I've been rooting for them all along. But it isn't quite so fun for me anymore and unfortunately it keeps getting less fun each month that $28.00 vanishes from my bank account while my mailbox remains empty.

How many of you are still members of this "club" and what are your feelings about it?
SydBeckman
View Profile
Elite user
Tennessee
474 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
I am afraid that I completely agree with you Videoman. Too many broken promises and very little communication. I have cancelled my subscription and requested a full refund of all funds for which shipments have not been fulfilled. I think the Coin Club was a great idea but He (I also assume Ted) was in over his head. If you math is correct (and I think it is) then he is behind $280 per person. I don't know how many people are in the club but if it's only 100 that's $28,000.

I suppose if he had been more communicative about the status of things and not consistently overpromised then I would be more patient but his usual response is that if you don't like it you can have a refund. Well, I don't like it so I am getting my refund.

I do wish him luck and some of the ideas are quite unique. But as you said - most are a novelty.
Syd
martinka
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of martinka
Syd, we have processed your refund as requested including the one for Quarkey which is shipping now.

Videoman, we do not have any recent requests for refund and do not know who you are, please let us know your name and we will process your request. Your numbers cannot be correct as the club has not been running for 21 months.

Ted
www.martinka.com

martinka
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of martinka
When I launched the coin club, my estimate was that each release would take 30 days to engineer and manufacture. My goal was to create new and novel coin magic that had never been made and offer it below wholesale. Since our initial launch we did need to raise the price, but charter members were locked in at the original $28 (shipping included) offer.

To date, we have 12 releases completed and our average time has been 45 days per release.

I understand that some folks are upset about the 30 day timing miss and am looking at what we can do. Our billing is automated by paypal and they do not provide us the option to change subscription payment timing or amount. The only option they provide is to cancel and create a new subscription. One possibility would be to setup a 45 day subscription offer, if that sounds like something of interest or you have another thought, please message the coin club email and we will do what we can to make it happen for you.

There are currently 12 more great releases planned which I think that folks are really going to enjoy.

We have received many favorable comments regarding the releases including some from top names in magic. Ekaterina rated Chained 10 out of 10 on her youtube channel. We also appreciate the enthusiasm seen here on the Café. Some of our releases have been selling for 2 - 4 times the original offer price. It is great to also see this positive energy as it encourages us to do more.

Ted
www.martinka.com

SydBeckman
View Profile
Elite user
Tennessee
474 Posts

Profile of SydBeckman
Ted,

It's unfortunate that you are defensive and not apologetic. According to your math - based on the refunds - you are 8 releases behind. That's $224 dollars. That is significant. Since you can set the subscription rate in Paypal - you could set it at 45 days if that was your production rate but you haven't. You charge your customers every 30 days. So I have 11 releases. You started shipping April of 2015. If you really averaged 45 days then you would be approximately 2-3 releases behind - not eight.

Your last post (on the Marinka site) says "Quarkey ... is nearly complete..." That was September 20th. A full MONTH later and NOW you says its shipping. to me - a month later is not NEARLY complete. Communication with members is important.

For many - they may not care - for me - 8 releases and $224 dollars is not acceptable.
Syd
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2106 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, martinka wrote:
When I launched the coin club, my estimate was that each release would take 30 days to engineer and manufacture. My goal was to create new and novel coin magic that had never been made and offer it below wholesale. Since our initial launch we did need to raise the price, but charter members were locked in at the original $28 (shipping included) offer.

To date, we have 12 releases completed and our average time has been 45 days per release.

I understand that some folks are upset about the 30 day timing miss and am looking at what we can do. Our billing is automated by paypal and they do not provide us the option to change subscription payment timing or amount. The only option they provide is to cancel and create a new subscription. One possibility would be to setup a 45 day subscription offer, if that sounds like something of interest or you have another thought, please message the coin club email and we will do what we can to make it happen for you.

There are currently 12 more great releases planned which I think that folks are really going to enjoy.

We have received many favorable comments regarding the releases including some from top names in magic. Ekaterina rated Chained 10 out of 10 on her youtube channel. We also appreciate the enthusiasm seen here on the Café. Some of our releases have been selling for 2 - 4 times the original offer price. It is great to also see this positive energy as it encourages us to do more.

Ted

The best thing you could do would be to announce a new release, take orders, fullfil the orders and then repeat. 45 days is a joke. You are months behind. In my case you were 6 months behind before I cancelled my membership.
martinka
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of martinka
Videoman - please pm me here and confirm your paypal email, so that we can process your refund request. thanks, Ted
www.martinka.com

magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2149 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, videoman wrote:
So I figured I should probably check on this (finally!!!) as I hadn't been keeping track at all of payments vs. shipments.
After a quick glance on PayPal I seem to have been charged 21 times and I believe I have received 11 shipments.

So that creates 3 main concerns.

1. If I am correct, and I could be off one or two but I think it's correct, then Martinka is 10 shipments behind. Because the shipments seem to be coming slower rather than quicker it doesn't look like there is much chance of them catching up. I mean realistically they would have to start shipping new ones every couple weeks to have any chance of catching up in the near future.

2. Although it's fun to receive these "surprises" in the mail, I honestly don't use any, or very few, of the effects. They are more of a novelty to me than actual workers.

3. This is in reality costing me a lot more per effect than I had been promised in the initial agreement.

So I may have to stop the bleeding. I think Martinka really needs to do the honorable thing and stop charging until a product ships. I don't know the legalities but I believe what they are doing actually constitutes an illegal business practice. In just about any other industry this would be considered a scam. I cut them some slack because they are fellow magi's and I wanted to support what I thought to be a fun and novel idea. The problem is that I don't think they can stop charging and still keep producing. They seem to be borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Someone (Ted Bogusta?) needs to wave the white flag and surrender and start issuing apologies along with refunds.
If I sound a bit upset, actually I'm really not. I'm just disappointed because I really wanted this idea to work and I've been rooting for them all along. But it isn't quite so fun for me anymore and unfortunately it keeps getting less fun each month that $28.00 vanishes from my bank account while my mailbox remains empty.

How many of you are still members of this "club" and what are your feelings about it?

I did a count late this summer and was off by 3. He made good on it, but being a one man show got behind again. Paypal charges at the beginning of the month (not his fault) and he was getting the months effect out so late in the month or first few days of the next that he was now one behind again. I shut it down due to having to keep up with the accounting of money out/calendar/effect in. I was buying simply to collect the first 12. However, after 12 months I only had the first 11 I think and some duplicates to make up for missed. It was a headache for me.
Pay it forward
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4099 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, martinka wrote:

Videoman, we do not have any recent requests for refund and do not know who you are, please let us know your name and we will process your request. Your numbers cannot be correct as the club has not been running for 21 months.

Ted

Yes, the correct number is 19 months.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4099 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just wanted to finish this off by saying that I did end up canceling my subscription to the Martinka Coin Club and Ted was very nice and prompt in refunding all payments owed.
I'm sorry it hasn't worked out but I'll keep my eye on it and maybe sometime down the road I'll join again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Martinka Coin Club (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL