We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Cop Shot! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Those who quickly ascribed racial motives to the black guys shooting of the white cop are so superficial they are embarrassing.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes, we all DO know what you're talking about here. Why not just come out and say it?

Say what? That he's a xenophobic racist, and a spiritual hypocrite?

Never happen.

He'll just keep spewing his nonsense like vomit from a drunkard, all the while crying that no one understands him.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.

NYC..go back out on the playground with the other children and play. You certainly are not ready for an adult discussion. Good Bye. If I respond to any of your posts please disregard it because it was a mistake on my part. I will not lower myself to speak to people such as yourself. Again Good Bye. I learned a long time ago that when you see sh_t you should not poke it with a stick. I made a mistake and poked it and it smells just as they said it would. If I pay attention this will be my response to your posts directed at me Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, acesover wrote:
I will not lower myself to speak to people such as yourself.

but he did.
(are acesover and bob1doggy brothers?) Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Yes, we all DO know what you're talking about here. Why not just come out and say it?

I'm picturing Sam Kinison in that scene from Back To School where he screams, "SAY IT... SAAAAYYY IT!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj5k6toS7i8

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
If 6 of out 10 Boston cops are white then the odds of all 6 team members being white are about 200/1.

So we can say it is probable that the black guy tried to kill white cops and black cops and so is not racist at all.

Meet the Gang

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-enter......2-recap/
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, tommy wrote:
If 6 of out 10 Boston cops are white then the odds of all 6 team members being white are about 200/1.

Closer to 20/1, yes?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Maybe, you are the teacher old man, but it seemed to me there are I think 210 possibles of 6 in 10 and only one that can be the 6 that is all white so 209 to 1.
?

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Grasshopper:

The probability of the first cop being white is .6
The probability of the second cop being white is .6
The probability of the third cop being white is .6
The probability of the fourth cop being white is .6
The probability of the fifth cop being white is .6
The probability of the sixth cop being white is .6

For all of them to be white: .6x.6x.6x.6x.6x.6 = roughly .05 = 5% or one out of 20 probability of all white.

Hmm...what are they teaching gamblers these days? Forget that second deal, and learn your mathematics, child.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, landmark wrote:
Grasshopper:

The probability of the first cop being white is .6
The probability of the second cop being white is .6
The probability of the third cop being white is .6
The probability of the fourth cop being white is .6
The probability of the fifth cop being white is .6
The probability of the sixth cop being white is .6

For all of them to be white: .6x.6x.6x.6x.6x.6 = roughly .05 = 5% or one out of 20 probability of all white.

Hmm...what are they teaching gamblers these days? Forget that second deal, and learn your mathematics, child.

Not sure exactly how to figure it landmark. But I feel you are way off. Just try taking a hundred balls. 60 of them white and 40 black. Now start to pick and see how long it takes you to pick 6 all white balls before picking a black one in the mix. Every time you pick a ball you have a 40% chance of picking a black ball. Do the math. I do not think you are even close. Not only that every time you pick a white ball you increase the next pick higher than 40% because you removed a white ball thereby increasing the percentage of black over 40%. Again I am not sure but I believe you are way off in your math. Ask S2000 I think that is his name here. He is the math wiz here.

I believe Tommy's numbers are a lot closer.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

But teacher there is 10 cops on this police force of ours and 6 are white cops and 4 are black cops and if 5 of our white cops get shot in the face, then the black cops will outnumber our white cop 4 tp 1. The probability of the sixth cop being white is not .6 then is it?

There is actually 50 in this gang unit, so I read. I don't know how many of them are white. I think about 60%.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

I'm picturing Sam Kinison in that scene from Back To School where he screams, "SAY IT... SAAAAYYY IT!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj5k6toS7i8

Ron

Love that scene! And I felt just like that when I asked my question.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Odds are

4/6
4/5
4/4
4/3
4/2
4/1

Total Outlay £1 Total Return £210 Total Profit £209

Hey teacher, leave then kids alone.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never happen.

He'll just keep spewing his nonsense like vomit from a drunkard, all the while crying that no one understands him.

NYC..go back out on the playground with the other children and play. You certainly are not ready for an adult discussion. Good Bye. If I respond to any of your posts please disregard it because it was a mistake on my part. I will not lower myself to speak to people such as yourself. Again Good Bye. I learned a long time ago that when you see sh_t you should not poke it with a stick. I made a mistake and poked it and it smells just as they said it would. If I pay attention this will be my response to your posts directed at me Smile

As "they" said it would? You've really have never had a thought of your own huh? So sad. Smile

You fool NO ONE Aces. I just stated what you are most directly. Not my fault you're so afraid.

Stay in your little corner of the world, where everyone is like everyone else.

Good thing for the rest of us that you, and your kind, are old and dying out.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, tommy wrote:
Odds are

4/6
4/5
4/4
4/3
4/2
4/1

Total Outlay £1 Total Return £210 Total Profit £209

Hey teacher, leave then kids alone.

I'll be more than happy to make the bet with you. Put 6000 white balls and 4000 black balls in an urn. What is the probability you pick one white ball? Two white balls? Six white balls?

Look, I'll make it even simpler for you. Suppose there is an even 50% chance of getting a white cop. What are the chances of getting six white cops in a row? The same as flipping six coins and getting six heads. Now I hope you know the probability of that is 1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2=1/64. But the odds in the original problem are even more favorable to picking white cops.

Your calculation is assuming that there is only a pool of ten cops. Your initial assumption says otherwise.
Quote:
tommy wrote: If 6 of out 10 Boston cops are white...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
There are in reality only 50 cops in the gang unit in question.

Assume that 30 are white and 20 are black cops.

Total Outlay £1.00 Total Return 178.77 Total Profit 177.77

That means the odds are 177.77 to 1 against picking an all-white team of 6.

That 177.77 to 1 is a lot closer to my 200/1 guess, than your 20/1.

Who’s the Daddy?

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:

tommy wrote: If 6 of out 10 Boston cops are white...

Quote:
The Boston Police Department has approximately 2,015 officers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Police_Department
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
If 6 out of 10 Boston cops are white…then so will it be in the Boston cops gang unit.

A Special Operations Division of 50 full time Boston Police Officers.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
Quote:
I will not lower myself to speak to people such as yourself.

but he did.
(are acesover and bob1doggy brothers?) Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I believe we both served in the armed forces. So in that sense, yes we are brothers in arms.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never happen.

As "they" said it would? You've really have never had a thought of your own huh? So sad. Smile

You fool NO ONE Aces. I just stated what you are most directly. Not my fault you're so afraid.

Stay in your little corner of the world, where everyone is like everyone else.

Good thing for the rest of us that you, and your kind, are old and dying out.

Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Landmark,

An easy way to look at this is take 10 cards 6 red faced and 4 black faced. (Easy that is if you have the patience, ha, ha. I don't) Draw a card and each time it is a red one score 1 and put it back and draw again until you reach 6 red in a row. Then you would win. If a black comes up before you reach 6 red in a row you lose. It may be time consuming but try it 20 times and if you win once or more your math will probably be correct. If not it is probably wrong. However if done only 20 times anything can happen. If done let us say 100 times I am quite sure you will not win 5 times which is your 20% number.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Cop Shot! (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL