The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What's the history of close-up and ninja rings? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I know there's great stuff out there on the linking rings history, but I was wondering how it developed from the large stage classic to the modern close-up and ninja style now used by strollers and close-up workers?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5114 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cheers, poof. But I've already been through the wiki and more, but it's mostly about the stage rings rather than the history of the close-up stuff in particular.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
There is some speculation that the rings actually began as smaller four to five inch harness type rings.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cheers Kabbalah. I think I came across that in looking at older threads on the history of the rings - lots of good stuff there Smile

But I'm not sure there's much of a direct link. I'm was thinking more of the modern history of close up rings as developed form the larger ones ... Unless there is a continuous track back to the harness rings that bypasses the larger rings! That'd be cool ...
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
While I don't know much about the history, my first exposure and experience with close-up versions began with The McAbee Rings...

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

It's good ref point, Kabbalah. Thanks.

The oldest point I've got so far is the 1930s and SS Adams.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What's the history of close-up and ninja rings? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL