We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No cash, please, we're American... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've run into serious difficulty here in the States. My credit card isn't working, and my German bank is slow to respond, and American businesses don't seem to want to take cash anymore.

The LAX Hyatt literally made me walk out the door to look for another hotel, though I made the reservation a month or two ago, and though I had $500 in my wallet. I walked to the Sheraton, which took my cash; but the hotel I am in right now has given me until noon tomorrow to produce a valid credit card or else check out--though I have already paid cash for the room in advance. It would seem that my cash is a deposit for real credit-card money, rather than the other way around.

Peanut butter or not, I'm not feeling much at home in the USA right now.

:(
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
That's crazy. The only thing I can figure is that the hotel you paid for in cash needs a credit card for any incidentals charges you may incur like phone calls, movie rentals, room service, throwing the TV out the window, ect.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
If you have enough cash to cover possible damages to the room (deposited) they should still accept cash. If not, there is always Hotel 8 Smile
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I thought the law was that they have to accept legal tender.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
The credit card is for securing the room against damages. If he had another $1,500 added for the deposit they may have accepted; depending on the hotels policies.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Once upon a time, there was "trust".
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2015, tommy wrote:

That is true(Except for some strange reason, Ebay).

If a seller doesn't accept legal tender, the item is then considered gratis.

The CC is for incidental charges and/or damages.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
The hotel security may have seen you in your cowboy hat, smoking a cigarette, standing by a hangman's noose and got somewhat nervous. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, acesover wrote:
The hotel security may have seen you in your cowboy hat, smoking a cigarette, standing by a hangman's noose and got somewhat nervous. Smile

LOL!

He may not even wearing pants. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Why is your German bank slow to respond?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:

:)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
If you're going to steal from me, at least get it right Ian! Smile

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2015, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2015, tommy wrote:

That is true(Except for some strange reason, Ebay).

If a seller doesn't accept legal tender, the item is then considered gratis.

It is true, but maybe not in the manner you think it is.

Payment in legal tender does not mean payment in legal tender cash. They are free to only accept legal tender in a form of their choosing.

"Federal legal tender laws require creditors to accept payment denominated in dollars, but generally do not require businesses to accept any particular form of payment - such as cash."

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/......der.aspx

"There is no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
If you're going to steal from me, at least get it right Ian! Smile

Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:

What happened is that I had had a large expense that I thought was directly credited from my account, but was in fact on my credit card. So I had maxed out my limit.

I asked to have my limit raised (and I technically have a debit card, and more than sufficient funds to cover it). But my account manager, as it turns out, was on vacation.

Meanwhile, the woman substituting for my vacationing account manager just emailed me that she had tried to call me to discuss the matter, since she "doesn't know me personally". It obviously didn't occur to her that I might not pay the $15 per day fee to use my cell in the US.

So the answer is that my Geeman bank was slow to respond because they were being careful to protect my/our money and my account, which is a good thing. Surely I should have been able to use cash during the time it took to have my credit card situation cleared up.

As Ian (who is beginning to grow on me) has ponted out, people used to trust each other a bit. But no: the Hyatt threw me out on the street rather than take my cash, because I might be a one-man Led Zeppelin who'll trash the hotel room with my 15-year-old son and the army of hookers we hired on our way to Six Flags? No trust is kind. More like no common sense.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They have rules and the rules are that you must have a valid credit card for verification. The reason for their rules are similar to the reason the German bank was slow to get back to you, they have to protect their business from fraud. Trust would be nice, but places like hotels have been burned so often in the past that trust is no longer an option. I hope you get it worked out, but don't blame the hotel.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Sorry you had that trouble, Stone. The good ole' USA has become a very cold place these days. One can be at the emergency room bleeding, but until you can produce your insurance card or credit card, you are just gonna stand there and bleed. "Pay first" has become the norm...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:

I've run into serious difficulty here in the States. My credit card isn't working, and my German bank is slow to respond, and American businesses don't seem to want to take cash anymore.

It sounds as though you have just the one credit card ... and you call yourself an American?

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Good morning Jeff. How're things this morning?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No cash, please, we're American... (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL