The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No cash, please, we're American... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
They have rules and the rules are that you must have a valid credit card for verification.


Sorry to disagree with you, but the fact is that I was in an emergency situation, and it's good business to be flexible--that's what Sheraton did, saving from having to roam by foot through the hotel district of the LA airport area with $500 in my pocket.

$500 should have been sufficient to buy trust for a middle-aged man 10,000 miles from home, traveling with his 15-year-old and in posession of US passports (and a mountain of othe ID). It's an International airport, Ed! People run into problems while traveling all the time. If someone had stolen my wallet, what should I have done.

My credit card company suggested I try the German consulate, since he had heard they sometimes help German travelers with emergency funds. If anyone fails to see the irony in that, don't expect me to point it out to you.

And yes, it's unAmerican to have only one credit card. I only have it for traveling in America. We wouldn't think that America is unfriendly to those unfamiliar with America ways, would we?

Magnus, I'm doing well this morning. I assume my credit card works again.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Update: the card works again.

Six Flags Magic Mountain today, Lakers on Wednesday and Friday, and Penn and Teller on Friday.

But I wasn't really worried about Vegas. If there is one city in America that respects cash, it's Las Vegas.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Lakers and Penn and Teller on Friday?

Or Lakers on Thursday?

(By the way: the Lakers are doing lousy this year. Sorry.)
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm weird from lack of sleep. Our tickets for Penn and Teller are for Sunday night. Then we drive back Monday morning for the Dodgers.

My son wanted to see a hockey game on Thursday, but driving to Staples Center three nights in a row didn't thrill me. Still, it's a pretty full schedule. He wants to squeeze in Universal Studios and Knott's Berry Farm.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Wowzer!

If you do go to Knott's, you're a stone's (no pun intended) throw from Lobo and me. It would be a shame to miss the opportunity for a lunch/dinner together.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2488 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey Stone, are you getting up to the Castle this trip?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5301 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Sorry you had that trouble, Stone. The good ole' USA has become a very cold place these days. One can be at the emergency room bleeding, but until you can produce your insurance card or credit card, you are just gonna stand there and bleed. "Pay first" has become the norm...


Really? Interesting you say that with the new Healthcare Law you and many others here just rave about!
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Sorry you had that trouble, Stone. The good ole' USA has become a very cold place these days. One can be at the emergency room bleeding, but until you can produce your insurance card or credit card, you are just gonna stand there and bleed. "Pay first" has become the norm...


Really? Interesting you say that with the new Healthcare Law you and many others here just rave about!

If you are participating in the Affordable Care Act you are issued an insurance card.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Enjoy the rest of your trip and your time with your son!

Sounds like an awesome trip!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
...
As Ian (who is beginning to grow on me) has ponted out, ...


So, you had cc problems and now you're starting to lose your mind too?!?!?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
...
As Ian (who is beginning to grow on me) has ponted out, ...

So, you had cc problems and now you're starting to lose your mind too?!?!?

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Bill, you get a lot of mileage out of that line... Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
...
As Ian (who is beginning to grow on me) has ponted out, ...

So, you had cc problems and now you're starting to lose your mind too?!?!?

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence.



It's true. When he told us about his cc problems, I was assuming he was telling the truth! (Do you have reason to believe he wasn't???)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
...
As Ian (who is beginning to grow on me) has ponted out, ...

So, you had cc problems and now you're starting to lose your mind too?!?!?

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence.

It's true. When he told us about his cc problems, I was assuming he was telling the truth! (Do you have reason to believe he wasn't???)

You haven't established that he had a mind.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
LOL!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
They have rules and the rules are that you must have a valid credit card for verification.


Sorry to disagree with you, but the fact is that I was in an emergency situation, and it's good business to be flexible--that's what Sheraton did, saving from having to roam by foot through the hotel district of the LA airport area with $500 in my pocket.

$500 should have been sufficient to buy trust for a middle-aged man 10,000 miles from home, traveling with his 15-year-old and in posession of US passports (and a mountain of othe ID). It's an International airport, Ed! People run into problems while traveling all the time. If someone had stolen my wallet, what should I have done.

My credit card company suggested I try the German consulate, since he had heard they sometimes help German travelers with emergency funds. If anyone fails to see the irony in that, don't expect me to point it out to you.

And yes, it's unAmerican to have only one credit card. I only have it for traveling in America. We wouldn't think that America is unfriendly to those unfamiliar with America ways, would we?

Magnus, I'm doing well this morning. I assume my credit card works again.


No, $500 will NOT "buy you trust," nor will any amount of cash. (Well, maybe if you could plop down a couple of thousands, even then I'm not certain.) The rule is; you want a room, you have a credit card. If you don't have one, you don't get a room. The rules are there because they've been burned in the past and don't want to be burned again. I'm sorry you got hurt in that and I'm glad your card is working again.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6751 Posts

Profile of magicfish
You shouldn't need a credit card to get a room.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
In a perfect world, you're right. But this is not a perfect world and you need a credit card to get a hotel room and a car.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Years ago I was surprised when a hotel/casino asked me for a credit card. I had paid for a package deal - flight and room, and thought I was set. When I checked in they also requested a credit card in order for me to check in.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Next time just bring your own room and leave the credit card at home.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No cash, please, we're American... (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL