We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No cash, please, we're American... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
There could have been another issue. A few years ago I bought a ticket for home in the Philippines. When I go to the airport they could not issue me a boarding pass; because my passport only had 5 months left on it. My return flight was only 3 weeks later, but the computer would not allow them to create the boarding pass because of my passport. I had to cancel the flight and book again after I renewed my passport.

So perhaps with everything being computerized they were unable to release your room because the computer needed a credit card number.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Most of the boys here on the comp circuit never book in advance but buy late all inclusive package holidays cheap.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
...The rules are stated before you begin. You can't complain because they won't be bent for you on the grounds that you're a "responsible, professional, family man."

Are we still talking about Hotels or The Big Green?

I admit to being clueless, I have no idea what "The Big Green" is.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2015, motown wrote:
I can understand individuals not having credit cards, but large businesses not excepting them is something else. Never have that problem in Sweden or many other countries I travel to.

It is indeed strange.

Here is a story relevant to this thread:

The night before I went on vacation, I took my wife to a rather expensive place in downtown Hamburg. It was a beautiful evening. I tried to pay with a credit card (THE credit card). They didn't take Mastercard, so I paid with Maestro.

The irony is that had they accepted my credit card, then it would have been declined because I was over my limit, and I would have been fore-warned that I had a problem.

What Ed STILL doesn't get is that outside of America business is done differently, and hospitality requires awareness of that fact. America has become inhospitable to non-Americans in many ways.

Xenophobic policies are different from racist policies only in name, not in kind.

What Stone STILL doesn't get is that he wasn't OUTSIDE of America, he was IN America. My response would have been the same if someone FROM America had gone to another country (say, Germany) and posted; "Gee, I tried to get a dinner in Germany, but they wouldn't take any of my cards! I'm an AMERICAN, I don't carry cash!" It's their sandbox, it's their rules. Be aware of them, because they aren't going to change them for you.

As far as "xenophobic policies," are there hundreds of foreign travellers standing around outside hotels waving cash and looking confused? No, only you.
Ain't life unkind?"
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
...The rules are stated before you begin. You can't complain because they won't be bent for you on the grounds that you're a "responsible, professional, family man."

I'm sorry, I forgot that you are of the machine... my apologies. The Big Green is The Magic Café.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I hate hotels.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
pollark
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of pollark
So do the girls you take them to.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
So, tommy's been taking hotels to girls again?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, I forgot that you are of the machine... my apologies. The Big Green is The Magic Café.

oops! Honestly hadn't heard the term before! Probably won't remember it the next time I hear it, but that's just me.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
She ought to know.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, pollark wrote:
So do the girls you take them to.

In Brooklyn we would answer that with, "Your Mom sends her regards!"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It used to be "Cash is King". Now plastic is prince, I guess. I hate hearing stories like that of the OP; what a joke.

It's insane. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd be tempted to suggest that they are tracking our purchases.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2015, motown wrote:
I can understand individuals not having credit cards, but large businesses not excepting them is something else. Never have that problem in Sweden or many other countries I travel to.

It is indeed strange.

Here is a story relevant to this thread:

The night before I went on vacation, I took my wife to a rather expensive place in downtown Hamburg. It was a beautiful evening. I tried to pay with a credit card (THE credit card). They didn't take Mastercard, so I paid with Maestro.

The irony is that had they accepted my credit card, then it would have been declined because I was over my limit, and I would have been fore-warned that I had a problem.

What Ed STILL doesn't get is that outside of America business is done differently, and hospitality requires awareness of that fact. America has become inhospitable to non-Americans in many ways.

Xenophobic policies are different from racist policies only in name, not in kind.

I don't really think there is anything xenophobic about it. In fact, while business isn't done that way in the rest of the world 'yet', give it a few years. Just as one of the stories above related how hard it was to find an ATM a few years ago in the Philippines, practices that are found in the US generally are several years ahead of the rest of the world. It will likely come to pass that ONLY cc's are accepted at most major hotels throughout the world in the years to come.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
What about Apple Pay, Google Wallet and the like? I've read that they may surpass and eventually replace credit cards in the near future.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I don't doubt that we are not too many years from a totally cashless society.

Just think how quickly pay phones disappeared.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It would make it harder to have illegal transactions, I guess. But what do I know? It seems that I recently read hard difficult it is to track "bitcoins" (whatever that is!)
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Eventually we'll all have chips in our hands or marks on our foreheads. Mark of the beast and all that.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
I for one will not miss coins and pocket change in general. But they do/did make for good magic.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, James FX wrote:
I for one will not miss coins and pocket change in general.

Writes the man with foreign exchange in his screen name.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2015, James FX wrote:
I for one will not miss coins and pocket change in general.

Writes the man with foreign exchange in his screen name.

Hah good one! I may have to consider a new screen name.

I never got into 'smartphone' magic, everyone assumes the phone's technology is magic and doing the trick (and it does), which isn't so miraculous. Coins on the other hand made for good magic as they are considered quite ordinary, or at least they were. Now when I do coin magic, the coins are suspect because- who carries coins any more?

Back to the OP, looks like we are definitely moving (too?) quickly from a cash to credit society.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No cash, please, we're American... (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL