We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Surrounded by Ghosts (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Hi, folks. Here's another scene from my Halloween show, Haunting History, captured by Joe Diamond and his video cam. In the working script, this piece is called "The Talking Board." Joe went for a more poetic title and called it "Surrounded by Ghosts." https://youtu.be/g0PV_FlfcAM

This was a special performance for the board of directors of the museum. It was preceded by a cocktail party, which is why there are some goofy Halloween decorations around the place. Normally, those weren't there. Funny coincidence: this was the second time that someone ended up with the word "deserted" as the secret word. The first time caused quite a stir, and I'll tell the tale of that incident later on in this thread.
Brain Food, A Game of Life & Death, Proof Positive, and Paper Prophecies
available at http://www.davidparr.com/store
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Lovely!
That was fun creeping around that place with you Pastor Parr.
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
392 Posts

Profile of Seance
Very well done!
What I especially liked was the physical act of walking to another location for the resolution, which really enhances the participation experience.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
893 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Another wonderful glimpse into your show, David.

I also loved the staging. The performance sectioned off and carried to different rooms to unveil in stages.... powerful. A real sense of journey.

Thank you for posting it!

Perkins
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3327 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Loved this performance. Thanks for sharing.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Kuroth
View Profile
Veteran user
Deep In the Heart of Texas
315 Posts

Profile of Kuroth
VERY Cool..
Chapter 18 (Member circa 1938)
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, everyone! Yes, I wanted the show to be a journey — one that became darker, thematically and literally, as we went from room to room. The next stop after this room was the grand hall, where we did a séance in which the spirits made tapping sounds inside a wooden box.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Enjoyed that, how many people attend a performance.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, george1953 wrote:
Enjoyed that, how many people attend a performance.

Thanks, George. In the regular run, we had 20 to 25 people per show, with three shows a night. This video was taken during a performance for the board, so it's a small group. But in the Urban Legend video, it's a full house. We had to make 25 per show the maximum, because some of the rooms would otherwise have been a tight squeeze.
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
392 Posts

Profile of Seance
Question: What device did Joe use to capture your performance? Iphone, Android or something else? The reason I ask is that the video is remarkably steady.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Seance, as I recall, it was just a handheld Canon HD videocamera.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5325 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Wonderful work David. And I love the Urban Legend video as well. Your delivery is so natural...not too much drama...just enough to let the imagination take over.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Profile of Brian J. Hatcher
Using the ouija board to reveal the word was a nice touch and it turned a simple book test into compelling theater. Thank you for sharing your performance.
Maior Cogitatio Magiam Maiorem Facit
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, Wizard and Brian!

So, here's the story of a fun incident that happened during my Halloween show last year.

We had a full house, and it was a lively group. On this occasion, the secret word happened to be "deserted." When we arrived in the next room, I proceeded in pretty much the same way shown in the video. The planchette spelled out D-E-S-E-R-T, then I stopped and asked the spirit if that was the word. At that point, I noticed that a woman in the audience — not the woman who had selected the word; a different woman — was staring wide-eyed and open-mouthed at a guy directly across from her. The guy had a similarly shocked expression on his face. I completed the word by adding the E-D and then I got confirmation that it was the secret word. After the show, as I was thanking folks and wishing them a happy Halloween, the group of people that included the shocked-looking pair approached me excitedly. The guy was from somewhere in India. He was visiting the States, and his English seemed quite good. Nevertheless, the woman explained, at dinner before they'd come to the show, she and her friends had to explain to their visiting pal the difference between the words "dessert" and "desert." That's why they were so freaked out when the Ouija board spelled out "desert" before adding the "ed" suffix. They were convinced that the spirit message was intended not just for the woman who'd selected the word from a book, but for them too. After all, the spirit knew about a topic from their dinnertime conversation!

Sometimes, the universe hands you a freebie.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great story, its nice when you get credit for something you didn't do.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
It certainly is, George. That's the advantage to performing this type of material, especially in an evocative setting: the people in the audience imagine all sorts of things that enhance their experience of mystery.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Yes, the venue helps create the atmosphere. That's a big problem where I am, theres no suitable venues, they are either a hotel or a bar. Not conducive to spooky presentations.
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
94 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed it
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
875 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, pieaddict. Glad you like it.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Physically moving the audience creates a strong engagement of trust and leadership, which adds to credibility. They also literally follow you on a journey of the unknown. Psychologically, it's the smart thing to do, when the venue supports it (only wish the lights were turned down in the second room and a candle was shadowing the board).

Nice work once again David! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Surrounded by Ghosts (19 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL